The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering and Nuclear engineering.

What are people's opinion of Chemical engineering and Nuclear Engineering?
Does anyone on here take either of them? And if so at what university? (And if you want to, can you include A level grades?)
I'm not applying for a couple of years, I just wanted people's opinion of these degrees....
Thanks y'all,
Reply 1
I've applied to study Nuclear Engineering at the University of Birmingham. My AS grades were BBC (Mathematics, Statistics and Physics). I'm predicted AAB and need AAA to be accepted. I'm not sure about Chemical engineering, but Nuclear is a very promising field. The competition is very low currently, so if you have the qualifications you're more likely to receive offers at any level, whether it's for employment or just for the degree. Currently there are only two unis in England that offer Nuclear Engineering courses, Lancaster and Birmingham. Things may change in a few years, but I doubt that they will change drastically.
Reply 2
Also, both Lancaster University and the University of Birmingham want AAA from applicants in Mathematics, Physics and another course that isn't general studies. If you're an AS student, then I expect things to be the same as they are for me. One other fact I should mention is that very few people apply for Nuclear Engineering compared to other engineering courses. I think roughly 140 people applied for the University of Birmingham's course and only 35 places were available. So you have roughly a 25% chance of getting in given that you have the grades required. This is significantly higher compared to other courses where thousands of people apply and there are only roughly a hundred or so places.
chem eng here

whats nuclear about?
Original post by Oalasow
Also, both Lancaster University and the University of Birmingham want AAA from applicants in Mathematics, Physics and another course that isn't general studies. If you're an AS student, then I expect things to be the same as they are for me. One other fact I should mention is that very few people apply for Nuclear Engineering compared to other engineering courses. I think roughly 140 people applied for the University of Birmingham's course and only 35 places were available. So you have roughly a 25% chance of getting in given that you have the grades required. This is significantly higher compared to other courses where thousands of people apply and there are only roughly a hundred or so places.

I'm in Year 11 so I still have a bit of time. I want to take Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Further Maths - so I guess those will be fine?
Do you have a conditional offer? Or are you waiting for 15th?

Original post by Proxenus
chem eng here

whats nuclear about?

What uni are you at?
Reply 5
Original post by Proxenus
chem eng here

whats nuclear about?

Nuclear can be about a lot of things, but it mainly comes down to power and energy. There are two processes that occur between atoms, fusion and fission. Fusion, like its name would suggest is when two atoms collide and 'fuse'. Fission is the opposite and is when they split apart. Nuclear fission is performed in Nuclear power plants to generate electricity, but it produces radioactive material as a byproduct. Fusion, on the other hand is very clean. Nuclear Fusion as an energy source is currently achievable. It's been done, but it's not efficient. Two hydrogen isotopes (Deuterium and Tritium) and forced together and the result is a helium atom and a spare neutron. The reason it isn't efficient is that while it does produce a large amount of energy, more energy is wasted to perform the process.
Reply 6
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
I'm in Year 11 so I still have a bit of time. I want to take Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Further Maths - so I guess those will be fine?
Do you have a conditional offer? Or are you waiting for 15th?

I have yet to receive an offer from the University of Birmingham. I didn't apply to Lancaster because it wasn't financially possible. I've received conditional offers for Mechanical Engineering from 3 other universities in my city, Birmingham and in Coventry.
Original post by Oalasow
I have yet to receive an offer from the University of Birmingham. I didn't apply to Lancaster because it wasn't financially possible. I've received conditional offers for Mechanical Engineering from 3 other universities in my city, Birmingham and in Coventry.

You live in London?
Random UCAS question - do you pick 5 courses? Or 5 universities to apply to?
Reply 8
You live in London?
Random UCAS question - do you pick 5 courses? Or 5 universities to apply to?

Both. You choose 5 universities and 5 courses at each of those universities. They don't all have to be the same course, but they should share a common theme as you'll have to relate them to your personal statement. I do not live in London. I live in Birmingham. I understand where the confusion came from. My choice of wording wasn't particularly helpful.
Original post by Oalasow
Both. You choose 5 universities and 5 courses at each of those universities. They don't all have to be the same course, but they should share a common theme as you'll have to relate them to your personal statement. I do not live in London. I live in Birmingham. I understand where the confusion came from. My choice of wording wasn't particularly helpful.

So you technically could apply for 25 courses?
Ah, ok.
I really want to go to Birmingham Uni. I've heard a lot of good things about it from people and most people there seem to have good opinions of it.
I find it freaky that I've just applied to 6th forms for next year but next year I'll have to begin looking at universities!
Reply 10
So you technically could apply for 25 courses?
Ah, ok.
I really want to go to Birmingham Uni. I've heard a lot of good things about it from people and most people there seem to have good opinions of it.
I find it freaky that I've just applied to 6th forms for next year but next year I'll have to begin looking at universities!

Sorry, I misspoke again. What I meant to say was you can apply to 5 courses from any university. This means you can apply for two or more different courses at the same university. In other news, UoB have offered me a place and I'll be attending an applicant visit day on February 12th. So, I'll be able to help you more after then.
Sorry for the late reply. I've been busy with mock exams.
Original post by Oalasow
Sorry, I misspoke again. What I meant to say was you can apply to 5 courses from any university. This means you can apply for two or more different courses at the same university. In other news, UoB have offered me a place and I'll be attending an applicant visit day on February 12th. So, I'll be able to help you more after then.
Sorry for the late reply. I've been busy with mock exams.

So I could apply for Chem Eng at 5 unis and physics at 5 unis?
I'm sorry if I'm being really slow.... but that's what happens when you get not enough sleep each night - oh the joys of wifi
Reply 12
No. Just a maximum of 5 courses. These courses can be from different fields or they can be completely different. The key thing to remember is that the courses must match what is written in your personal statement. So, they will tend to be related. For your example, I'll list my courses to help.
Mechanical Engineering - Aston University
Mechanical Engineering - Coventry University
Mechanical Engineering - Birmingham City University
Nuclear Engineering - University of Birmingham
Mathematics - University of Birmingham
As you can see, I've applied to two different courses at the same university.
Original post by Oalasow
No. Just a maximum of 5 courses. These courses can be from different fields or they can be completely different. The key thing to remember is that the courses must match what is written in your personal statement. So, they will tend to be related. For your example, I'll list my courses to help.
Mechanical Engineering - Aston University
Mechanical Engineering - Coventry University
Mechanical Engineering - Birmingham City University
Nuclear Engineering - University of Birmingham
Mathematics - University of Birmingham
As you can see, I've applied to two different courses at the same university.

Ahhh ok.... much more sense.... I was getting so confused.
If I applied for multiple courses (which I'll probably end up doing) they'd all be physics or chemistry related degrees so that wouldn't be too hard...
When are you finding ok?
I've had the opportunity to speak to Dr Mottura (University of Birmingham, Nuclear/Materials Engineering admissions tutor) and he's explained that the University does have to be fairly strict about its admissions processes with respect to Physics/Maths (A grades), as that's essentially what the degree is about, but achieving only a B on the third subject is okay.

Good luck next month everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending