The Student Room Group

The quality of one's spelling and grammar may differ to someone elses. Why?

Are they just lazy? For instance, someone might write "your not" or "its over their" rather than "you're not" and "it's over there". It seems rather peculiar that people don't recognise their grammatical errors; I, however, realise straight away and therefore try to write with faultless spelling and grammar.

Spot the error in the title.
Reply 1
Original post by Jamie Vardy
Are they just lazy? For instance, someone might write "your not" or "its over their" rather than "you're not" and "it's over there". It seems rather peculiar that people don't recognise their grammatical errors; I, however, realise straight away and therefore try to write with faultless spelling and grammar.

Spot the error in the title.

Jamie,

Please allow me to congratulate you on your devotion to good English

Itis my experience that the misuse of the apostrophe ( ' )is perhaps the major error today..Its cause (only, my opinion) is the low standard in teaching today which, in turn, feeds through to the secomnd fault namely boredom of the students. Of course thee are manuya other factors such as the low staandards which are exhibited daily by the Media. They see their job as maximising returns in advertiwing revenue. Tthis means attracting major numbers of wachers which they involves reaching down intead of striving to raise standards..

In those far-off days of "Wireless" (the tem "radio"was imported from the last days of WWll) Lord Reith laid down some very strct rules for behaviour on-air. For exaample, the fact that your audience could not see you was not an excuse for being improperly dressed! I would nolt argue wikth those who regarded him as a religious nut but I regret that his vision of Wireless as being a boon in the education of the people has been abandoned in favour of the squirrelling of money.

The good advantage of using "proper" English (the Queen's English) is that it provides means of communicating across all dialects. Of course the small-minded good intentions of the modern means of communication has practically
destroyed regional dialects.

And that is a great loss.

Ken Green

Quick Reply

Latest