The Student Room Group

What is halls like?

Hello all,

This is my last year in college of the three year in there and still learning about Uni. I've got the 'feel' from reading other people's post what Uni in general is like but still clueless on the accommodation part.

From what I've read people have mentioned living in a flat like place, where as others describe it as an actual hall with a few rooms, I'm going to Huddersfield but missed the chance to go down and look about and the next one is a wait.

Also what is Hall actually like? People kept mentioning "pick your flat mates" before going living there and such. Also is living in halls as mad and loud as people describe it? Cause I need silence when sleeping or I would be up all night Hahaha.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by EmperorGinge
Hello all,

This is my last year in college of the three year in there and still learning about Uni. I've got the 'feel' from reading other people's post what Uni in general is like but still clueless on the accommodation part.

From what I've read people have mentioned living in a flat like place, where as others describe it as an actual hall with a few rooms, I'm going to Huddersfield but missed the chance to go down and look about and the next one is a wait.

Also what is Hall actually like? People kept mentioning "pick your flat mates" before going living there and such. Also is living in halls as mad and loud as people describe it? Cause I need silence when sleeping or I would be up all night Hahaha.

Thanks in advance.

There's no single pattern for what Halls are like. You're best off looking at your prospective uni's website to see how they're organised. There can be a lot of difference between older Halls, new blocks and Halls run by housing companies.

At my undergrad uni, all first year accommodation was built in the last fifteen years and was refurbished every five years, so it was in pretty good condition. The blocks of Halls were 5-7 bedroom flats with shared living space and a kitchen, as well as communal areas and laundry rooms for the whole block. Most rooms in the flats were en-suite although one block had two shared bathrooms per flat. There were also rows of student-only houses in a specially-built group of roads next to the main campus. These were just like ordinary modern terraced houses with shared bathrooms and kitchens.

Noise levels really depend on the people you share with. There was one block with a reputation as party Halls, which seemed to last from year to year. People used to complain that the general noise didn't die down until 3-5am and it was seen as good fun to set off the fire alarm as a joke in the middle of the night two or three times a term. Quieter students couldn't wait to get out of the place. Some folks used to go and sleep on friends' sofas round exam time, just so they could get some decent sleep. However that was only one of several Halls - the rest were much more civilised.

You'll usually just be allocated a room when you get there but a lot of unis will let you swap if you want to. In the second and third years you generally find your own private rented accommodation, so you dan pick who you live with then.
Original post by EmperorGinge
Hello all,

Thanks in advance.

it really depends you can have loud halls or quiet halls but their often quite fun and you do get used to any noise. here is an idea of something that went on at my uni[video="youtube;0dLpmg0CIEM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dLpmg0CIEM[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest