The Student Room Group

which is better?UCL/KCL/Durham/Warwick/St Andrews

Hi, I'm a high school student.
I'm going to study business and management during the foundation year.
I got 79.2 in the first two year of my high school.
IELTS—L:7/R:7/S:6.5/W:5.5/Overall:6.5
I'll graduate in June.
Now,I'm applying those school I've mentioned above.
I would like to ask is it possible to get their offer by this grade?which one is better for me to choose?
(Needless to say,I didn't reach the requirement of UCL,haha).
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
UCL and Warwick are top tier for business related courses. As for the others I'm afraid I don't know. So pick Warwick or UCL if you get their offers probably.
Reply 2
Original post by TVIO
UCL and Warwick are top tier for business related courses. As for the others I'm afraid I don't know. So pick Warwick or UCL if you get their offers probably.

I've heard that it's quite hard for students who study in Warwick's to enter the university after the foundation year...is it true or rumor?!
Reply 3
Original post by An-HSIN
I've heard that it's quite hard for students who study in Warwick's to enter the university after the foundation year...is it true or rumor?!

Whoops I actually completely missed foundation year. Regardless, you should pick UCL/Warwick if you can as they are the best so surely you're most likely to get in from there. I'm at UCL (doing computer science so not the same subject) but I know two engineers who did foundation years here and stayed on. I think in general it IS quite difficult to get in after foundation, and you'll really have to display high quality work to get in but don't be discouraged.
Reply 4
Original post by TVIO
Whoops I actually completely missed foundation year. Regardless, you should pick UCL/Warwick if you can as they are the best so surely you're most likely to get in from there. I'm at UCL (doing computer science so not the same subject) but I know two engineers who did foundation years here and stayed on. I think in general it IS quite difficult to get in after foundation, and you'll really have to display high quality work to get in but don't be discouraged.

The ranking of Durham is quite well is it good?
Or is it easier to get in after foundation.
Reply 5
Original post by An-HSIN
The ranking of Durham is quite well is it good?
Or is it easier to get in after foundation.

All of the universities you mentioned are very respectable, so unless you're really looking for jobs in investment banking (where I hear they heavily target a select few unis) you'll be good for jobs regardless. With regards to foundation years, I'm afraid that's all the knowledge I have on them. Best of luck
Reply 6
St Andrew > Warwick >Durham...
This one is according to the rank complete university guide for business and management study.
Reply 7
Original post by kerobero
St Andrew > Warwick >Durham...
This one is according to the rank complete university guide for business and management study.

Is these school hard for students to get in after the foundation year?(quite care about this part,because I don't want to leave the school after I have get used to it) I prefer UCL&Durham:frown:
Is the reputation of Durham good in the UK?!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
How about Durham?
Reply 9
But I haven't reached their requirement yet... :frown:
So I'm considering to choose another if I haven't reach their requirement after the IELTS test in January!
Reply 10
Original post by TVIO
All of the universities you mentioned are very respectable, so unless you're really looking for jobs in investment banking (where I hear they heavily target a select few unis) you'll be good for jobs regardless. With regards to foundation years, I'm afraid that's all the knowledge I have on them. Best of luck

Is it possible to get the offer of the school I've mentioned aboved?
Durham's course is a no-go. Its business department is not in Durham but rather is in a cesspool of misery called Stockton. Avoid like the plague.
At the moment, you don't meet the English requirements of Warwick (min. 6.0 in each module), KCL (min. 7.0 to 6.0 in each module depending on course), Durham (min. 6.0 in each module), or St. Andrews (min. 6.5 or 7.0 in each module), so you'd have to improve your score before applying to any of these.
Have a look at Bath's Business Administration
Reply 14
Original post by DanieleZ
At the moment, you don't meet the English requirements of Warwick (min. 6.0 in each module), KCL (min. 7.0 to 6.0 in each module depending on course), Durham (min. 6.0 in each module), or St. Andrews (min. 6.5 or 7.0 in each module), so you'd have to improve your score before applying to any of these.

I'm an international student,so I'm going to apply the foundation course....it might be lower than the information you said. Is it?!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by callum_law
Durham's course is a no-go. Its business department is not in Durham but rather is in a cesspool of misery called Stockton. Avoid like the plague.

Really?! Lots of people recommend Durham in my country.... :redface:
Original post by An-HSIN
Really?! Lots of people recommend Durham in my country.... :redface:

There are two campuses Durham uses. One, naturally, is in the city of Durham (and you will see on Durham's website that most courses are at the City campus); the other one is in Stockton and is called Queen's Campus. I think a lot of the people you speak with in your country might have studied at the campus in Durham, rather than the campus in Stockton. Anyone who studies a degree subject other than business likely studied in the city.

That being said, you might have come by people who studied business at the Stockton campus and they might have enjoyed it. Be warned that you might not like it, though. Further, I think UCL and St Andies present themselves as much stronger candidates academically. Another thing to consider here, though, is that St Andies is in Scotland and so its degrees are generally 4 years long (as opposed 3 years for degree elsewhere in the UK). Perhaps you'd like to have a shorter course and in that case you should go for an English university.
Reply 17
There are two campuses Durham uses. One, naturally, is in the city of Durham (and you will see on Durham's website that most courses are at the City campus); the other one is in Stockton and is called Queen's Campus. I think a lot of the people you speak with in your country might have studied at the campus in Durham, rather than the campus in Stockton. Anyone who studies a degree subject other than business likely studied in the city.

That being said, you might have come by people who studied business at the Stockton campus and they might have enjoyed it. Be warned that you might not like it, though. Further, I think UCL and St Andies present themselves as much stronger candidates academically. Another thing to consider here, though, is that St Andies is in Scotland and so its degrees are generally 4 years long (as opposed 3 years for degree elsewhere in the UK). Perhaps you'd like to have a shorter course and in that case you should go for an English university.

Thank you for telling me the truth!!! Actually I really don't know this...
And I would like to ask...is my grade enough to get the offer of the other school I've mentioned(I'm going to apply the foundation course,so its requirement is much more lower than the requirement of the university)and except UCL what else is recommend?
Reply 18

Still curious...what's wrong with Queen campus?
Original post by An-HSIN
Still curious...what's wrong with Queen campus?

Google Street View.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending