Purplebeads
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I'm doing aqa gcse english literature, and the books that I am studying are Purple Hibiscus and The Crucible.

Since I am predicted and want to get an A*, which bits/how much of the book should I memorise for the exam?
Also, can you answer the questions provided for books you haven't studied within school instead?
Maz0110
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing the same as you but with different books and different exam board.

I'd go through the whole books ( for both of them and yes just write in them Cas it will be easier , you can buy new ones again and if you haven't got the books buy them!) as I was saying is go through the whole book and highlight all of the main quotes and especially flexible quotes you feel you can talk about easily. Once highlighted one by one analyse them, it will take time but it will help. You dont know what you'll be asked in the exam so you have to make sure you know the book inside out. Then think about how the characters are represented - do only the main ones and find quotes/ match quotes to each character to support your ideas. Then themes. Find main themes that are shown and then analyse how each theme is shown with using quotes to support. And are you comparing these two books in the exam?? I don't know how aqa works but focus on comparisons if you are. What is similar what is different. I'd read the books over and over again. If you like reading don't read any other books except for the ones you're studying to help you memorise them easily. It is a lot to do but you can do it. It's the quotes you need to remember not the book. And as long as you can interpret them you'll be fine. I'm going to do this for my revision up until the exam in June Cas I want to aim for a* too. If there's a shortcut ask your teacher and I'll let you know if I find one but this is my plan for now 😂 Good luck!!
Tank Girl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Purplebeads)
So I'm doing aqa gcse english literature, and the books that I am studying are Purple Hibiscus and The Crucible.

Since I am predicted and want to get an A*, which bits/how much of the book should I memorise for the exam?
Also, can you answer the questions provided for books you haven't studied within school instead?
I'd memorise key quotes that highlight the main characters and important themes. I like to go into an exam fully equipped with as many quotes as possible, so have at least one quote per main character and maybe some quotes which illustrate the main themes and motifs... If you can find a quote about a character while also demonstrating the themes/motifs then you've hit gold!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (2)
100%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (0)
0%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (0)
0%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (0)
0%
I haven't started researching yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (0)
0%

Watched Threads