PS help for a mature student applying for english lit? Watch

exitplan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm applying for an english foundation course at sheffield, UCLAN and Goldsmiths.

i have never done any of the english alevels (lit/lang/whatever) and had previously done physics, maths and biology.

however i do read extensively, mainly modern work but i've read some classics (and struggled) so I was hoping if anyone had any tips on how to write about books you've read on a PS for my situation

i'm about to send off my PS but I feel like my crap analysis on A thousand splendid suns /anna karenina/elizabeth is missing wont do

How shall a mature student applying for a foundation course write about books they've read on their personal statement? (bearing in mind I haven't dont english A-Level but got an A* in GCSE)
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by exitplan)
I'm applying for an english foundation course at sheffield, UCLAN and Goldsmiths.

i have never done any of the english alevels (lit/lang/whatever) and had previously done physics, maths and biology.

however i do read extensively, mainly modern work but i've read some classics (and struggled) so I was hoping if anyone had any tips on how to write about books you've read on a PS for my situation

i'm about to send off my PS but I feel like my crap analysis on A thousand splendid suns /anna karenina/elizabeth is missing wont do

How shall a mature student applying for a foundation course write about books they've read on their personal statement? (bearing in mind I haven't dont english A-Level but got an A* in GCSE)
Make sure you don't just write a list. Saying "I have read this, that and this other thing" isn't going to impress anyone.

But you're not trying to analyse a book. You might want to say "I enjoyed the use of metaphors", but you wouldn't say "the use of metaphors led to the reader feeling excited and scared over what was coming next". It's a personal statement about you and why you want to study this course, not a book review or an essay.

Have you looked at the course structure? If you're applying for 5 choices they're unlikely to all offer the same books, but you might have similar modules. You can then link a bit of what you've read into the course - say you're looking forward to studying American literature as you read this other book.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd echo what the above poster has said. The PS isn't a place where you need to demonstrate your literary analytical skills. It's where you explain why you want to study that particular course. You can illustrate it with some examples of what you've read and why you enjoyed it, but the points you make should always tie back to why these inspired you to uni study.

Think of it as writing a job application. You need to sell yourself as a good candidate, with enthusiasm and the commitment to work hard and achieve the required end result.
exitplan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Juno)
Make sure you don't just write a list. Saying "I have read this, that and this other thing" isn't going to impress anyone.

But you're not trying to analyse a book. You might want to say "I enjoyed the use of metaphors", but you wouldn't say "the use of metaphors led to the reader feeling excited and scared over what was coming next". It's a personal statement about you and why you want to study this course, not a book review or an essay.

Have you looked at the course structure? If you're applying for 5 choices they're unlikely to all offer the same books, but you might have similar modules. You can then link a bit of what you've read into the course - say you're looking forward to studying American literature as you read this other book.
firstly thanks for getting back to me! so i should say what i like/dislike about the books, but what kind of books? i understand adding my take on the books especially using technical terms but just one sentence to describe my view seems abit short?
exitplan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Klix88)
I'd echo what the above poster has said. The PS isn't a place where you need to demonstrate your literary analytical skills. It's where you explain why you want to study that particular course. You can illustrate it with some examples of what you've read and why you enjoyed it, but the points you make should always tie back to why these inspired you to uni study.

Think of it as writing a job application. You need to sell yourself as a good candidate, with enthusiasm and the commitment to work hard and achieve the required end result.
thanks for replying! so what kind of PS structure do you recommend?
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by exitplan)
thanks for replying! so what kind of PS structure do you recommend?
This very website contains a PS building tool, which will walk you through exactly how to structure and tailor a good PS:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...statement_help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (106)
17.24%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (64)
10.41%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (108)
17.56%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.96%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (62)
10.08%
How can I be the best version of myself? (183)
29.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed