Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

wats the point of uklsoc ? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    sorry to act like a right pain in the ass ... but wats the point of the UKL societies ? ... shouldnt they have only members who atually KNOW sumthing bout the subject and can be asked questions regarding it by sumone and expect a correct answer ? ...

i mean ... like .. (not mentioning names ) .. i c ppl who are inthe "chem society " asking questions tht my younger brother doing his gcses could answer !! ...

apart from jus existing .. is there n e thing else these socities do ???

ReputationRep:
    A UKL society is like any other society. How do you define a society or its function?

ReputationRep:
    wouldnt it be better if ppl good at the sub got toghether and made a "club" to help those who arent so great at the subject ?

(Original post by infekt)
    wouldnt it be better if ppl good at the sub got toghether and made a "club" to help those who arent so great at the subject ?
    You've just described a major part of the adademic sub fourm perfectly!!!

ReputationRep:
    wat i really mena to say is .. shouldnt they be a bit productive at the least ?

apart from putting a link in their sigs they basically do nuhting

ReputationRep:
    wat i really mena to say is .. shouldnt they be a bit productive at the least ?

They state an interest in the subject which the society is there to help nurture. It's the individual's choice whether or not to pursue the option, good luck to them either way. To discriminate and segregate members on ability seems a tad unfair though, as well as being hard to achieve.

Take a look at the maths ones... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Take a look at the maths ones... :rolleyes:
    I hope you mean that the society is very active, and very far-reaching?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    They state an interest in the subject which the society is there to help nurture. It's the individual's choice whether or not to pursue the option, good luck to them either way. To discriminate and segregate members on ability seems a tad unfair though, as well as being hard to achieve.
    i dont think its tht hard to set up a more structured society ... the person who's good at the sub should b president or whatever u wanna call him/her ...

but u say tht the society is there to help nurture ? ... i have not seen n e post tht in n e way helps others understand the true beauty of the subject ... .this in no way implies tht ppl are not helping others ... but still .. a more structured society would cause much less confusion and idiocity ( WORD ? )

the only time u see a "society " posting in large numbers is a few hours after the exam or the next day ...

in my opinion a more structured society divided into groups mite seem like a better idea ...

any way tht was jus my two cents ...

ReputationRep:
    i dont think its tht hard to set up a more structured society ... the person who's good at the sub should b president or whatever u wanna call him/her ...

but u say tht the society is there to help nurture ? ... i have not seen n e post tht in n e way helps others understand the true beauty of the subject ... .this in no way implies tht ppl are not helping others ... but still .. a more structured society would cause much less confusion and idiocity ( WORD ? )

the only time u see a "society " posting in large numbers is a few hours after the exam or the next day ...

in my opinion a more structured society divided into groups mite seem like a better idea ...

We both know it's impossible to advertise the beauty of a subject in a post. I know what you mean and empathise with your view, but I believe every member is an equally valid member if not an equally able one. It's too hard and inconvenient for a set of people in a highly social environment to formalise and structure a society.

And after all we did see the Gentlemen's League not so much fall apart as painfully erode without so much as a whimper. That was the most structured any group of UKL members got, and it fell apart because no one could be bothered to be part of the structure.

ReputationRep:

I would agree that, from what I have seen, some of the societies are rather superficial and as you rightly comment - only come into full swing in the few days surrounding an exam. Certain members do seem to collect hyperlinked signatures like a floozy would notches on her bedpost; I can't help but think some 'society founders' derive a rather pitiful sense of self-importance from being 'Chairman'/'Leader' etc, a title which probably doesn't reflect their ability for the discipline - but that is life - just look at the 'Leader of The Free World'.

As for the effective 'tightening-up' on societies and restricting membership to 'those in the know', as somebody has already commented, this would be very difficult to achieve. Ultimately it leads us to the question of whether we want closed societies or a true open forum - I would opt for the latter.

In defence of the societies though, Geography seems to flag up the occasional informed discussion, aided by the presence of a Geography teacher. Closer inspection would suggest that the same scenario occurs in History (from time to time), although nobody has dared to discuss matters of early 18th century history - rather unfortunate if you ask me.

But then it leads to the whole idea that a society is what you choose to make it, if you feel that the they lack direction and substance (which admittedly they do, in my opinion) - kickstart the flow of ideas and debate by posting a thought-provoking theory/question/response/supposition, or whatever takes your fancy.

ReputationRep:
    Everything has its plus points and minus points......
    The society's main function is to help ppl discuss and clear ne doubts related to the subject...
    of course not everyone can be expected to have the iq of a genius...
    everyone should be given a fair opportunity.... and a genuine interest in the subject together with basic knowledge.. is adequate.
    the founder of the society sets up the admission criteria .. so that the society is restricted to a particular set of ppl.... (like physics for ppl currently takin physics or will be pursuing it in a major field)..... the member of the society contribute.... helping the junior students learn more......
    true the societies could be more organised.....
    by that i mean..... ppl with doubts in a particular topic(say chemistry).... if they're members of a chem society... can post their doubts there.... cuz obviously...the members are (or are expected) to have sufficient knowledge bout the subject......most ppl who join societies are ppl who need help and that is where they seek it.
    and well... as for activity...... its pretty obvious that it will be at a max... startin from bout a week b4 the exam... to a couple of days after.....

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.