Report 3 years ago
I can help, what do you need help on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
zabveniye
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I can help too, but yes, it would help us to help you if you could point out any specific parts that confuse you!

~
Still, I'll include some general tips that may or may not apply;

If you're having any trouble remembering the order of taxa (kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, species -- KPCOFGS), a simple mnemonic will go a long way here.
http://www.mnemonicgenerator.com/

"Kissable Perseus Clawed Obelix For Gorgeous Souffles."
Or, looking on the internet for some that make a bit more sense ...

"King Phillip Came Over From Great Spain."
"Do Koalas Prefer Chocolate Or Fruit, Generally Speaking?" (Note though that this one also includes domain, which you don't usually need to remember for AS.)

~
Classification is basically all about how closely related different types of organisms are, and the characteristics they share. Different species of the same genus will be more similar and closely related than those of a different genus, but the same kingdom.

Some examples of the scientific names for different species;

Human--
Homo sapiens

Domestic cat--
Felis catus

Lion--
Panthera leo

Domestic dog--
Canis familiaris

Wolf--
Canis lupus

Gorilla--
Gorilla gorilla

Domestic pig--
Sus domesticus

The first part of the scientific name is the genus, and the second the species. For example, you might notice above that the wolf and the domestic dog are of the same genus (canis) but different species (canis lupus & canis familiaris.)
SerenAkp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by zabveniye)
I can help too, but yes, it would help us to help you if you could point out any specific parts that confuse you!

~
Still, I'll include some general tips that may or may not apply;

If you're having any trouble remembering the order of taxa (kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, species -- KPCOFGS), a simple mnemonic will go a long way here.
http://www.mnemonicgenerator.com/

"Kissable Perseus Clawed Obelix For Gorgeous Souffles."
Or, looking on the internet for some that make a bit more sense ...

"King Phillip Came Over From Great Spain."
"Do Koalas Prefer Chocolate Or Fruit, Generally Speaking?" (Note though that this one also includes domain, which you don't usually need to remember for AS.)

~
Classification is basically all about how closely related different types of organisms are, and the characteristics they share. Different species of the same genus will be more similar and closely related than those of a different genus, but the same kingdom.

Some examples of the scientific names for different species;

Human--
Homo sapiens

Domestic cat--
Felis catus

Lion--
Panthera leo

Domestic dog--
Canis familiaris

Wolf--
Canis lupus

Gorilla--
Gorilla gorilla

Domestic pig--
Sus domesticus

The first part of the scientific name is the genus, and the second the species. For example, you might notice above that the wolf and the domestic dog are of the same genus (canis) but different species (canis lupus & canis familiaris.)
I don't understand when it asks what phylum they belong to what is a phylum? Thanks for your help!!
zabveniye
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Okay. So firstly, all known and classified living things are sorted into one of the five kingdoms: protista, monera, fungi, plantae or animalia.

The phyla (which you said that you were confused about) are the next largest groups after kingdoms. There are ~35 phyla in the kingdom animalia. Humans are in the phylum “chordata”, which includes all vertebrates along with some other species.

So really, phyla are just another set of groups into which organisms are sorted based on relation and characteristics – they are larger groups than classes, but smaller groups than kingdoms.

An example of a different phylum would be porifera ie sponges which, although classed as animals just as humans are, are obviously very different – they are invertebrates and have no nervous, digestive or circulatory system.

Classifying organisms in this way is of huge benefit in the study of different organisms. For a scientist who is already familiar with a number of different organisms and their classifications, those seven words applied to an organism they haven't come across before can be extremely informative, giving an instant idea of the characteristics of the organism, and how it relates to other organisms – especially where they describe relationships, similarities or differences which aren't immediately obvious. The scientific (latin) names for organisms are also the same worldwide, regardless of the spoken language in a particular country, while the common names will vary from language to language.

Browsing through these two websites might help in giving you a better idea of how organisms are classified and why:http://www.itis.gov/ for plants and http://a-z-animals.com/animals/ for animals. Going back to the example of the grey wolf, a quick search will tell you their classification:

Animalia
Chordata
Mammalia
Carnivora
Canidae
Canis
C. lupus

Most times you see a list like this, the taxa will be in the order KPCOFGS from the top down.

Kingdom
Phylum
Class
Order
Family
Genus
Species

Match these up with the example of the grey wolf and you will see that they belong in the kingdom Animalia (they are animals); the phylum chordata (they are vertebrates), the class mammalia (they are mammals), the order carnivora (they are carnivores), the family canidae, the genus canis, and the species Canis lupus.

In general the more of these groups two different species belong in together, the more closely related they will be. Humans, domestic dogs and grey wolves are all in the kingdom Animalia, phylum chordata, and class mammalia but humans do not share the same genus with grey wolves as domestic dogs do -- they are more closely related. Any scientist in the world familiar with this system of classification, whatever their native country or language, will be able to discern this.
Munumana
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SerenAkp)
I don't understand when it asks what phylum they belong to what is a phylum? Thanks for your help!!
Just remember this => Kevin Please Come Over For Gay Sex
SerenAkp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
[QUOTE=zabveniye;61711155]Okay. So firstly, all known and classified living things are sorted into one of the five kingdoms: protista, monera, fungi, plantae or animalia.

The phyla (which you said that you were confused about) are the next largest groups after kingdoms. There are ~35 phyla in the kingdom animalia. Humans are in the phylum “chordata”, which includes all vertebrates along with some other species.

So really, phyla are just another set of groups into which organisms are sorted based on relation and characteristics – they are larger groups than classes, but smaller groups than kingdoms.

An example of a different phylum would be porifera ie sponges which, although classed as animals just as humans are, are obviously very different – they are invertebrates and have no nervous, digestive or circulatory system.

Classifying organisms in this way is of huge benefit in the study of different organisms. For a scientist who is already familiar with a number of different organisms and their classifications, those seven words applied to an organism they haven't come across before can be extremely informative, giving an instant idea of the characteristics of the organism, and how it relates to other organisms – especially where they describe relationships, similarities or differences which aren't immediately obvious. The scientific (latin) names for organisms are also the same worldwide, regardless of the spoken language in a particular country, while the common names will vary from language to language.

Browsing through these two websites might help in giving you a better idea of how organisms are classified and why:http://www.itis.gov/ for plants and http://a-z-animals.com/animals/ for animals. Going back to the example of the grey wolf, a quick search will tell you their classification:

Animalia
Chordata
Mammalia
Carnivora
Canidae
Canis
C. lupus

Most times you see a list like this, the taxa will be in the order KPCOFGS from the top down.

Kingdom
Phylum
Class
Order
Family
Genus
Species

Match these up with the example of the grey wolf and you will see that they belong in the kingdom Animalia (they are animals); the phylum chordata (they are vertebrates), the class mammalia (they are mammals), the order carnivora (they are carnivores), the family canidae, the genus canis, and the species Canis lupus.

In general the more of these groups two different species belong in together, the more closely related they will be. Humans, domestic dogs and grey wolves are all in the kingdom Animalia, phylum chordata, and class mammalia but humans do not share the same genus with grey wolves as domestic dogs do -- they are more closely related. Any scientist in the world familiar with this system of classification, whatever their native country or language, will be able to discern this.[/QUOTE

You are a genius thankyou so much!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (115)
17.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (69)
10.57%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (113)
17.3%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (97)
14.85%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.65%
How can I be the best version of myself? (196)
30.02%

Watched Threads