Why is it bad to be selfish?

Watch this thread
Most Competitive
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I get called 'selfish' quite a lot :lol:

Why is it wrong to only care about your own happiness?
Mayhem™
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Because it shows you don't care about anyone else.
Spoiler:
Show
hint; that's a bad thing
سِيسِي
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Because God doesn't want us to be selfish, he wants us to care about each other and to be kind and generous.

Being selfish and only caring about your own happiness might lead you to treat others in a less than ideal way. It's possible to ensure that you're happy while also making others happy and being selfless and generous. It might be hard, but it's well worth the effort because you'll make others happy and that makes God happy.
username2151383
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
it's okay to put your own happiness first but if you don't care about anyone else's happiness at all
then yeah that's bad
Compost
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Most Competitive)

Because it makes you a lousy friend, partner or parent.
username1967813
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I thought altruism was seen as a positive evolutionary trait
Nick Clegg <3
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
the amount of logical fallacies on this thread makes my head hurt
Indeterminate
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Because a happy world would look a whole lot better than a world with just a few happy people :yep:

We're here to help each other out
TheCitizenAct
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Most Competitive)

You can't help but prioritise your own happiness, aims or goals. Everyone is self-interested.

The only people who will have a problem with this are people who are opposed to fundamental universal rights - the people who believe people are a means to an end rather than an end in themselves. People have intrinsic value as themselves, not as far as they assist others.

It's a fundamental contradiction in the mindset of most progressive voters.
TheCitizenAct
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Indeterminate)
Because a happy world would look a whole lot better than a world with just a few happy people :yep:

We're here to make each other happy and ease each other's pain
So I have no value as a human being unless I help you?
Proxenus
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I get called selfish in football lol
TheCitizenAct
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by connieiscrazy)
I thought altruism was seen as a positive evolutionary trait
Altruism predicated the entire banking crisis (Government-sponsored loans to under-qualified or over-extended borrowers). Every despot who rose to power in the 20th century did so under an appeal to altruism. Altruism - pathological altruism - leads us to such scenarios where we will gladly exploit the death of 3 year old children to accrue political capital.

The problem with altruism is that you have to define 'good.' Many Nazi's believe they were 'good.' There is no objective good. Anything, everything, can be deemed 'moral', given the correct context.
JC.
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by سِيسِي)
Because God doesn't want us to be selfish, he wants us to care about each other and to be kind and generous.

Being selfish and only caring about your own happiness might lead you to treat others in a less than ideal way. It's possible to ensure that you're happy while also making others happy and being selfless and generous. It might be hard, but it's well worth the effort because you'll make others happy and that makes God happy.
Told you this information personally, this imaginary friend of yours, did s/he?
username1862217
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TheCitizenAct)
Altruism predicated the entire banking crisis (Government-sponsored loans to under-qualified or over-extended borrowers). Every despot who rose to power in the 20th century did so under an appeal to altruism. Altruism - pathological altruism - leads us to such scenarios where we will gladly exploit the death of 3 year old children to accrue political capital.

The problem with altruism is that you have to define 'good.' Many Nazi's believe they were 'good.' There is no objective good. Anything, everything, can be deemed 'moral', given the correct context.
I think you're twisting the definition a bit. Altruism is simply sacrificing something you have (e.g. time, energy, resources) to help others. It is not something used for personal gain or murder.
Indeterminate
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
So I have no value as a human being unless I help you?
Not true. If you don't want to then that's fine.

It's just that I think it's the right thing to do, and I don't expect anything in return
TheCitizenAct
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Keyhofi)
I think you're twisting the definition a bit. Altruism is simply sacrificing something you have (e.g. time, energy, resources) to help others. It is not something used for personal gain or murder.
Altruism is exploited for personal gain all the time.

Altruism is synonymous with a wide-range of negative qualities, including caring only for those who comprise our own-group (feminism), caring only for those who comprise the 'out-group' (migrants), jumping to conclusions, and stirring up feelings of guilt in those who choose to not to co-operate with outlandish appeals to 'morality' (even when, in the absence of an absolute morality, there is no such thing as an objective morality, i.e., nothing is immoral, nothing is moral).

There's a sense of superiority which many derive as a result of being positioned on the left - 'the opposition is 'selfish', while we are 'altruistic.'

The conviction they hold towards this supposition makes it easy for them justify immoral behaviours, like to disregard any all criticism in relation to a group as 'racist', or threatening to rape a voter outside the Conservative Party conference, or harassing Nigel Farage and his family while they're out eating a meal, or purging all of their Conservative friends on Facebook after the General Election. http://blog.practicalethics.ox.ac.uk...t-your-friend/

Tons of despots have risen to power in the 20th century on appeals to altruism - millions of lives have been lost in the process. An understanding that altruism can produce both great evil, as well as good, is crucial to the defence of vulnerable human freedoms.

Take the case of positive action. Universities have established admission standards which discriminate in favour of minority groups (and women), largely as a result of misplaced altruism (or what I would deem to be the infantilisation of minorities, in the same way we infantilise 'Africans in poverty'). What's the result? Under qualified students struggle to make the grade, and for those who do make it they are presumed to be 'beneficiaries' of affirmative action.

The entire banking crisis was predicated by misplaced appeals to altruism. The Government promoted home ownership in the US, under the well-meaning belief it stabilises families and communities. Government-sponsored organisations offered loans to less than qualified individuals, and allowed qualified borrowers to over-extend themselves.

Any concern about risk-reward was overlooked because the scheme had full Governmental backing. When economic conditions went south, many people lost their homes, or ended up with a home which was worth far less than they originally paid for it. Who was then responsible for the Government's altruism? The public.
Most Competitive
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
You can't help but prioritise your own happiness, aims or goals. Everyone is self-interested.

The only people who will have a problem with this are people who are opposed to fundamental universal rights - the people who believe people are a means to an end rather than an end in themselves. People have intrinsic value as themselves, not as far as they assist others.

It's a fundamental contradiction in the mindset of most progressive voters.
Agreed
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (25)
15.24%
The paper was reasonable (81)
49.39%
Not feeling great about that exam... (42)
25.61%
It was TERRIBLE (16)
9.76%

Watched Threads