The Student Room Group

What is your opinion on veganism?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Canucked
And? I don't see a problem with that.

That's your opinion and that's okay, as long as you aren't shaming those who prefer not to eat meat :smile:
Original post by ron_trns
No offense but just to let people know, the vegans/vegetarians who have been so for decades are generally the type of people who don't go shoving it down peoples throats. I've come to realize that after a certain length of time being a vegan/veg you just come to peaceful acceptance of the way things are and try to change things little by little in a good way.

A lot of the people who have just started doing this usually are trying to validate themselves/their believes. Especially as it may be hard for them, so they want to feel some benefit because they don't feel acknowledged. These are also the people who usually last the least amount of time because are often struggling a lot.

This is so true, I feel like not eating meat now has kind of become trendy or 'tumblr'. Even though it's great that they're choosing to not eat it, in my opinion, the reasons for doing it aren't that great.

:unimpressed:
Reply 183
Original post by raaachek
:unimpressed:

You seem to be of the impression that people have to agree with you, and if they don't then you show your disapproval, people are allowed an opinion
Original post by sw651
You seem to be of the impression that people have to agree with you, and if they don't then you show your disapproval, people are allowed an opinion

And we are allowed to have opinions on your opinions, which may be disapproving.
Original post by TheHopefulMedic
I find it odd how they care about saving the animals but not the humans that are working god knows how many hours in horrendous situations whilst getting paid a despicable wage

Yeah, how dare people be compassionately concerned about the wellbeing of more than one group of organisms at a time. What gall.
(edited 8 years ago)

What separates a non-human animal from a human that makes the former okay to eat but the latter not, in your eyes?
Original post by sw651

Nopp! None of my friends or family agree with me on this - every single one of them eats meat - and I overlook our differing lifestyles in most situations.

You never replied to my reply to you the other day :frown:

EDIT: Oh except my dad. He's an ovo-vegetarian. How could I forget him! :P

EDIT: I know people are allowed an opinion and I celebrate our freedom of choice. The difference here is that meat eaters' opinions and choices have victims. There's a difference between victimless choices and... these choices.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 188
Nopp! None of my friends or family agree with me on this - every single one of them eats meat - and I overlook our differing lifestyles in most situations.

You never replied to my reply to you the other day :frown:

EDIT: Oh except my dad. He's an ovo-vegetarian. How could I forget him! :P

EDIT: I know people are allowed an opinion and I celebrate our freedom of choice. The difference here is that meat eaters' opinions and choices have victims. There's a difference between victimless choices and... these choices.

What's an ovo-vegatarian? :s-smilie:

What was the quote, I'm on TSR mobile so I'm not getting notifications :frown:

The view of animals as victims is open to interpretation. So ultimately, depending on your view, there is no 'victimless choice', its just two different choices
Original post by sw651
What's an ovo-vegatarian? :s-smilie:

What was the quote, I'm on TSR mobile so I'm not getting notifications :frown:

The view of animals as victims is open to interpretation. So ultimately, depending on your view, there is no 'victimless choice', its just two different choices

Maybe I've used a misnomer but I think it means a vegetarian who eats eggs.

Erm... my computer is a potato and going all the way back in this thread would probably bring it to extinction. Never mind :tongue:

Well I strongly disagree with that but in any case, critiquing someone's opinion isn't the same as disrespecting it. I haven't disrespected anyone's opinion in this thread, just offered counterpoints.
Guys, please watch 'Cowspiracy' on YouTube or Netflix. It's incredibly relevant to this thread.
Reply 191
Guys, please watch 'Cowspiracy' on YouTube or Netflix. It's incredibly relevant to this thread.

It was proven they used false statistics and no real evidence. Irrelevant.
Original post by sw651

Do you have a source? From looking it up before everywhere seemed to agree that it was 100% factual

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sw651

Oh really?! This was proven? Can you link me to the source please?
Reply 194
Original post by eternaforest
Do you have a source? From looking it up before everywhere seemed to agree that it was 100% factual

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh really?! This was proven? Can you link me to the source please?

http://www.examiner.com/article/la-chefs-movie-review-cowspiracy-a-pile-of-imitation-vegan-bs

Edit: Furthermore, this documentary came out in 2013, yet the used figures from 2006, 7 years prior to the movie. This as it stands make it highly misleading.
(edited 8 years ago)
Meat is so good, I couldn't possibly go without it
Original post by sw651
http://www.examiner.com/article/la-chefs-movie-review-cowspiracy-a-pile-of-imitation-vegan-bs

Edit: Furthermore, this documentary came out in 2013, yet the used figures from 2006, 7 years prior to the movie. This as it stands make it highly misleading.

I've read a few paragraphs so far. I'll read the rest when I've had my morning cuppa. I will say now that this time, I hope you're right... because that documentary scared the living crabapski out of me. If you're wrong... goodness help us all...
Reply 197
I've read a few paragraphs so far. I'll read the rest when I've had my morning cuppa. I will say now that this time, I hope you're right... because that documentary scared the living crabapski out of me. If you're wrong... goodness help us all...

Parts of it are factually correct, and parts of it are completely made up. The problem lies in the fact they skewed the figures to make it seem worse
I'm vegan, not as difficult as many people put it, especially if you don't 100% rely on animal products to start with
Original post by sw651

I realize that, well, seemingly the majority of the population doesn't view animals as victims. Now, how can that be? How can a human being, designed with empathy and emotion, watch an animal suffer in front of them and not feel anything?

We've shown to possess a certain degree of empathy regarding the political stance on the unlawful killing of another human being, *ahem*, murder...
It is important to recognise the definitions. For example, one definition I found described murder as "The killing of another person without justification or excuse". One could therefore argue that we have an excuse to kill animals. They're tasty, right? However, doesn't that just correspond with a murderer saying, "but it's fun, right?"...

The other argument is that animals are morally inferior to humans. We, the superficial race, tend to believe we have more of a right to life than any other animal. Murder only applies to humans, right? So animals are out of that equation all together. I mean, it's not like we've changed the laws over the years or anything like that. Oh no, that would be absurd *cough* slavery *cough*.

Scientifically, animals show sentience. All aspects of consciousness show sentience. They feel pain, they suffer, they cry. At that angle, are they really so different from us? Well, yes... The law says so.

Quick Reply

Latest