Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what are your views on euthanasia?

ReputationRep:
    it should be legal for all adults, whether they have a terminal condition or not
    and for children/teens if they have a terminal, incurable and painful (etc) condition/illness, and with parental permission

ReputationRep:
    If a consenting adult is making the decision to end their life, we should allow them to.

ReputationRep:
    I believe it should be legalised. People should have the right to end their life if they choose to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mali786)
    what are your views on euthanasia?
    Current law is fine. No real public benefit in changing the law. If people want to die there are plenty of non-state-endorsed options and in addition I don't believe the medical profession should be involved.

What are your views? Is there a strong reason why the law should be changed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    Some are not able/do not have the courage to off themselves through riskier/more expensive routes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed's Balls)
    Some are not able/do not have the courage to off themselves through riskier/more expensive routes.
    I don't believe a function of the state is to aid people who lack courage to kill themselves. This, for me, is a very weak reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    I don't believe a function of the state is to aid people who lack courage to kill themselves. This, for me, is a very weak reason.
    So you would much rather prolong suffering?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    When that lack of courage is a result of fear of failing the attempt or experiencing pain during death, rather than a fear of death itself, it becomes a perfectly legitimate reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed's Balls)
    So you would much rather prolong suffering?
    What kind of suffering are you talking about? And how many people do you see as 'suffering'?
    If it's pain then we have the medical profession which can prescribe painkillers.
    If it's depression, we also have the medical profession for that.
    If it's loss of property, we have the legal profession.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiytt)
    When that lack of courage is a result of fear of failing the attempt or experiencing pain during death, rather than a fear of death itself, it becomes a perfectly legitimate reason.
    What you have written doesn't make sense could you elaborate or rephrase please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    What you have written doesn't make sense could you elaborate or rephrase please.
    It was pretty simplified as-is.

People don't lack courage because they fear death itself. Most people seeking euthanasia are scared of attempting suicide because of potential failure in dying, or because they may potentially experience pain during death; that fear isn't of death itself—but rather, of the uncertainty involved. A reliable, safe method made available would eliminate any potential adversities, as well as guarantee a pain-free, dignified death. Is that not a legitimate reason at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    What kind of suffering are you talking about? And how many people do you see as 'suffering'?
    If it's pain then we have the medical profession which can prescribe painkillers.
    If it's depression, we also have the medical profession for that.
    If it's loss of property, we have the legal profession.
    You're almost adorably naïve for believing painkillers and antidepressants actually are 100% effective in bestowing the user with any quality of life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    Current law is fine. No real public benefit in changing the law. If people want to die there are plenty of non-state-endorsed options and in addition I don't believe the medical profession should be involved.

what about disabled people who don't have the means of transporting themselves to the means of suicide? what about people in comas where they've expressed that in such a situation they'd want the plug pulled?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    surely we have a right to self-determination? what if we want to end our lives? surely we have the right to death if we have the right to life? do we have a right to freedom? you don't see this as a matter of dignity at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiytt)
    It was pretty simplified as-is.

People don't lack courage because they fear death itself. Most people seeking euthanasia are scared of attempting suicide because of potential failure in dying, or because they may potentially experience pain during death; that fear isn't of death itself—but rather, of the uncertainty involved. A reliable, safe method made available would eliminate any potential adversities, as well as guarantee a pain-free, dignified death. Is that not a legitimate reason at all?
    Yeah it was too simple I asked you to elaborate.

A 'safe method' to kill yourself?? Explain that please. If you're dead, how is safety relevant?

(Original post by Kiytt)
    You're almost adorably naïve for believing painkillers and antidepressants actually are 100% effective in bestowing the user with any quality of life.
    STRAW MAN

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    Yeah it was too simple I asked you to elaborate.

A 'safe method' to kill yourself?? Explain that please. If you're dead, how is safety relevant?
    A method with a near 100% chance of killing yourself successfully, without pain. How many times do I need to repeat myself?

(Original post by xylas)
    STRAW MAN
    A few pills are not the answer to a poor quality of life resulting from illness or depression. Medical treatment can only go so far, and fails in more cases than not to change a person's mind on whether they wish to die.

If there was only as much attention paid to preventing suffering as there is to preventing death, the world would be a much better place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    what about disabled people who don't have the means of transporting themselves to the means of suicide? what about people in comas where they've expressed that in such a situation they'd want the plug pulled?
    Give an example of a disabled person who can't transport themselves to a means of suicide.

A coma is a medical condition that is treated by the medical profession. The law already allows for doctors to pull the plug in certain cases.

(Original post by sleepysnooze)
    surely we have a right to self-determination? what if we want to end our lives? surely we have the right to death if we have the right to life? do we have a right to freedom? you don't see this as a matter of dignity at all?
    From what you've listed, only the rights to life and liberty currently exist.

Are you asking should we have further rights? Self-determination is a right only when it doesn't involve others. For example we are not allowed to self-harm in public. Hence we do not have the right to death.

Explain how it is a matter of dignity to be legally able to end your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiytt)
    A method with a near 100% chance of killing yourself successfully, without pain.
    So it's not to do with courage or fear. It's to do with efficacy and pain.
    The law is not a provision of a service. Tell me how making euthanasia legal would ensure a pain free and near 100% success rate of killing oneself.

Even if you can prove this, tell me why that would be a good thing for society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    Give an example of a disabled person who can't transport themselves to a means of suicide.
    a disabled person who can't walk, is pretty much confined to their bedroom in a care home, where they can't leave their room without somebody helping them out and watching what they do.

A coma is a medical condition that is treated by the medical profession. The law already allows for doctors to pull the plug in certain cases.
    so that's supporting euthanasia

From what you've listed, only the rights to life and liberty currently exist.

Are you asking should we have further rights? Self-determination is a right only when it doesn't involve others. For example we are not allowed to self-harm in public. Hence we do not have the right to death.
    euthanasia involves others in the same sense a contract does - it's through consent, and the state may see the cause of euthanasia as a sympathetic one, so it might comply for those who cannot take their own lives unaided. a contract is a matter of self-determination is that you have a RIGHT to it.

Explain how it is a matter of dignity to be legally able to end your life.
    because you may feel degraded living a certain life, such as a painful one, or a depressed one, or a severely disabled one (depending on the person's perception, regarding fulfilment and esteem). don't you feel like I'm spoon-feeding you a bit here?

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.