The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

University of Liverpool - Dentistry

Hi,

I'm currently an AS student studying Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Applied ICT. (I plan to drop ICT at the end of AS)

I was looking at Liverpool University's Dental course (UCAS A200) and the requirements to get in.

A level offer: AAA in 3 A levels (including Chemistry and Biology) taken at one sitting after 2 years of study

Subject requirements: A level Biology and Chemistry are essential and the third subject may be from the Arts or Sciences. A minimum of 7 Academic GCSE subjects at grade A (Vocational/Applied GCSEs are not accepted) including a grade A in Maths and English Language.

The problem is that they require a third subject from the arts or sciences, would mathematics be accepted? Furthermore, I achieved an A* in Maths (and an A in further maths), but a B in English Language.

Does this all mean that I wouldn't be able to get into the University of Liverpool, even if I will end up achieving AAA at the end of A2?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by zainahmed48
Hi,

I'm currently an AS student studying Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Applied ICT. (I plan to drop ICT at the end of AS)

I was looking at Liverpool University's Dental course (UCAS A200) and the requirements to get in.

A level offer: AAA in 3 A levels (including Chemistry and Biology) taken at one sitting after 2 years of study

Subject requirements: A level Biology and Chemistry are essential and the third subject may be from the Arts or Sciences. A minimum of 7 Academic GCSE subjects at grade A (Vocational/Applied GCSEs are not accepted) including a grade A in Maths and English Language.

The problem is that they require a third subject from the arts or sciences, would mathematics be accepted? Furthermore, I achieved an A* in Maths (and an A in further maths), but a B in English Language.

Does this all mean that I wouldn't be able to get into the University of Liverpool, even if I will end up achieving AAA at the end of A2?

To study dentistry, you need to definitely study biology and chemistry. For the third subject, you should take either maths or physics. That is what the universities look for ideally.
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Original post by XzaraX
To study dentistry, you need to definitely study biology and chemistry. For the third subject, you should take either maths or physics. That is what the universities look for ideally.

I'm doing maths already, does that mean it is classed as a "science"?
Reply 3
I'm doing maths already, does that mean it is classed as a "science"?

It's not classed as a "science."
I want to do dentistry and am studying A levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths.
Maths usually does count as a science when a university states they want a science A level. However, I'm afraid you would be rejected for not meeting the English Language requirement regardless of what grades you achieve :frown: dentistry is extremely competitive and there will be plenty of people who do meet the GCSE requirements :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
Maths usually does count as a science when a university states they want a science A level. However, I'm afraid you would be rejected for not meeting the English Language requirement regardless of what grades you achieve :frown: dentistry is extremely competitive and there will be plenty of people who do meet the GCSE requirements :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated. I'm going to call the admissions office to see what they say about it as I know they are a bit lenient with admissions, as my cousin got in with AAB.
Original post by XzaraX
It's not classed as a "science."
I want to do dentistry and am studying A levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths.

What universities are you considering?
Reply 7
What universities are you considering?

Manchester, Liverpool, Bristol. Still not 100% sure yet.
What about you?
Reply 8
I'm currently studying dentistry at Liverpool. As someone above said, Maths would be fine but it's your english language grade that's the problem! Usually uni's use GCSE's as in initial filter for students as most people who apply for dentistry will get predicted AAA or higher. Best bet is calling the uni up and just explaining your situation! Did you at any point consider retaking GCSE English lang.?
Original post by V95
I'm currently studying dentistry at Liverpool. As someone above said, Maths would be fine but it's your english language grade that's the problem! Usually uni's use GCSE's as in initial filter for students as most people who apply for dentistry will get predicted AAA or higher. Best bet is calling the uni up and just explaining your situation! Did you at any point consider retaking GCSE English lang.?

Thank you for your reply! I am planning to call the university tomorrow morning when the admissions office is open. I do not consider any resits.

By the way, what is the current year of study you're in? First, Second etc.?
Original post by XzaraX
Manchester, Liverpool, Bristol. Still not 100% sure yet.
What about you?

Hopefully I'll be able to get into Liverpool but I'm also considering Newcastle, Manchester and Glasgow.
Reply 11
Thank you for your reply! I am planning to call the university tomorrow morning when the admissions office is open. I do not consider any resits.

By the way, what is the current year of study you're in? First, Second etc.?

I'm in 3rd year!
Reply 12
Thank you for your reply, much appreciated. I'm going to call the admissions office to see what they say about it as I know they are a bit lenient with admissions, as my cousin got in with AAB.

Which university did your cousin get into? And what year did he get the offer?

Entry requirements change over the years, so it's important to take that into consideration
Original post by V95
I'm in 3rd year!

oooh my cousin just started 2nd at Liverpool!
Original post by XzaraX
Which university did your cousin get into? And what year did he get the offer?

Entry requirements change over the years, so it's important to take that into consideration

well my cousin is in 2nd year at Liverpool university, but he took a gap year so he got the offer in 2012 but started in 2013.

and yeah to be honest it was some time ago but I remember him clearly telling me the requirements were AAA, but they claimed they'd accept him the following year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by XzaraX

Sorry, I have to disagree. Liverpool doesn't look at the third subject you study so this can be from the Arts/Sciences - Majority of the dental schools also do not look at the third subject. For example, I'm studying Chemistry, Biology and Dance and have been offered interviews from KCL, Liverpool and Manchester - So as long as the 3rd A-level is something you enjoy whether its Maths, Dance or History, it doesn't matter to the University.

Good luck applying!!
Original post by taffi5013
Sorry, I have to disagree. Liverpool doesn't look at the third subject you study so this can be from the Arts/Sciences - Majority of the dental schools also do not look at the third subject. For example, I'm studying Chemistry, Biology and Dance and have been offered interviews from KCL, Liverpool and Manchester - So as long as the 3rd A-level is something you enjoy whether its Maths, Dance or History, it doesn't matter to the University.

Good luck applying!!

Thanks a lot for your reply, are you also applying for dentistry though?
Thanks a lot for your reply, are you also applying for dentistry though?

Yeah, I'm literally prepping for my Liverpool interview which is in two weeks!
Original post by taffi5013
Yeah, I'm literally prepping for my Liverpool interview which is in two weeks!

wow good luck!
I have an interview for Liverpool and Barts and my third subject is English Lit, so no it doesn't matter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending