This discussion is closed.
Reem29
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi!

I'm on my first placement & let's just say its much harder than I expected it to be, I mean I was totally prepared for it to be hard work but the consistent tiredness was something else. Nonetheless, I have been enjoying teaching & I have been lucky enough to have a nice teacher & TA.

I have been passing all my observations and getting a decent grading each time HOWEVER the folder aspect is my downfall. The fact everytime I would ask anyone for advice they would say ANYTHING can be evidence just drove me insane. The university consistently kept increasing our workload due to errors on the handbook which led me to neglect gathering evidence. On my last observation my mentor stated that if my folder was not up to standards in all aspects I would be placed on risk/concern. I know people who have been placed on risk/concern & their placements were cancelled but what would happen in my class :/

Plus does anyone have ideas of gathering evidence. I have used TES & found some good examples of lists but sometimes it isn't the most helpful because I am in early years. Also how do you know what is good evidence?

ANY advice would be amazing! Thank you!
Advertisement
myrtille
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Reem29)
Hi!

I'm on my first placement & let's just say its much harder than I expected it to be, I mean I was totally prepared for it to be hard work but the consistent tiredness was something else. Nonetheless, I have been enjoying teaching & I have been lucky enough to have a nice teacher & TA.

I have been passing all my observations and getting a decent grading each time HOWEVER the folder aspect is my downfall. The fact everytime I would ask anyone for advice they would say ANYTHING can be evidence just drove me insane. The university consistently kept increasing our workload due to errors on the handbook which led me to neglect gathering evidence. On my last observation my mentor stated that if my folder was not up to standards in all aspects I would be placed on risk/concern. I know people who have been placed on risk/concern & their placements were cancelled but what would happen in my class :/

Plus does anyone have ideas of gathering evidence. I have used TES & found some good examples of lists but sometimes it isn't the most helpful because I am in early years. Also how do you know what is good evidence?

I don't see that you need a great deal in your folders - I didn't do anything special for mine, just kept stuff that I had to do anyway for the course.

The main thing that provides evidence of meeting the standards is written lesson observation feedback - get your observer to annotate it with every standard, or do it yourself in a different coloured pen so it's really clear. Basically, if it's to do with your planning/lesson structure - T4, differentiation - T5, assessment - T6, behaviour - T7 (how sad is it that I still remember these, 3 years on?!).

Same with lesson plans and resources - they demonstrate your subject knowledge, planning, differentiation and assessment as well as some of the vaguer standards like "having high expectations" etc.

For T8 you need evidence of having communicated with others - could be a log of how you've directed the TA, log of phonecalls/emails to parents, notes from having attended a parents evening, etc.

You can also link your university notes to it - my course provider was super helpful and actually listed the standards which each lecture would link to. So if you've had a lecture about SEN it links to T5 (differentiation). Anything to do with subject knowledge development links to T3. Any essays you've had to write are to do with subject knowledge but also could link to other standards, depending on the topic you've written about.

Basically what you need to do is to make everything really obvious. Most of the teacher standards are common sense stuff that you'll be doing to an extent anyway, so spell it out really clearly exactly how you're meeting them. Literally, my first mentor used to write down stuff like "Objectives displayed at start of lesson - T4" - something that simple could be used as evidence towards meeting a standard.

Hope this helps.
MissNeedhamMFL
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Does your university provide you with guidance of what evidence you're supposed to keep? Are we talking teaching evidence or teachers standards evidence? Feel free to PM me with more details and I'll do what I can to help you. I'm a PGCE trainee too and meticulously organised when it comes to my files!
Advertisement
Rashminder12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,I am going to start PGCE Primary in September at CHICHESTER university. Does anyone advise me how to arrange evidence for folder to meet teaching standards? What are important example of evidence for different teaching standards? Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks
Findlay6
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rashminder12)
Hi,I am going to start PGCE Primary in September at CHICHESTER university. Does anyone advise me how to arrange evidence for folder to meet teaching standards? What are important example of evidence for different teaching standards? Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks
Chill, your university will walk you through everything.
Want to get ahead? Start familiarising yourself with the standards and how to meet them. Create a professional twitter account and follow teachers.
Advertisement
Rashminder12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Findlay6)
Chill, your university will walk you through everything.
Want to get ahead? Start familiarising yourself with the standards and how to meet them. Create a professional twitter account and follow teachers.
Thanks Findlay6, sure I will create a Twitter account though I am not very good in all these social media thing. Actually, I left my HLTA job for completing my PGCE so it is very important for me to complete it successfully.
Rashminder12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sure Miss Nadiham I may need your expertise to organise my folder as I am not very good in that. Thanks a lot for offering help.
(Original post by MissNeedhamMFL)
Does your university provide you with guidance of what evidence you're supposed to keep? Are we talking teaching evidence or teachers standards evidence? Feel free to PM me with more details and I'll do what I can to help you. I'm a PGCE trainee too and meticulously organised when it comes to my files!
Advertisement
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Reem29)
Hi!

Good advice from myrtille - did you take any photos of children's work - they would be good for EY.
Some people have a copy of the teacher standards at the front and then annotate with where the evidence is - this helps you see any gaps.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (201)
24.19%
Pop (206)
24.79%
Jazz (33)
3.97%