Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    I'd disagree, having seen the maths department in actions, I don't think it would be anywhere near Cambridge, Warwick or Bath in term of quality of teaching and research. It might squeeze into the top 10, but nothing more.
    I guess we can agree to disagree. I have an offer for maths from Oxford and according to my research, quality of teaching is not as important for a subject like maths as it is for, say, PPE. I've been told by maths undergrads that most of the subject can be self taught. Far more important are factors like resources, ambiance and intellectual stimulus. I chose Oxford over Cambridge because I realy liked the whole undergraduate environment and the feel of the city in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHilL)
    I guess we can agree to disagree. I have an offer for maths from Oxford and according to my research, quality of teaching is not as important for a subject like maths as it is for, say, PPE. I've been told by maths undergrads that most of the subject can be self taught. Far more important are factors like resources, ambiance and intellectual stimulus. I chose Oxford over Cambridge because I realy liked the whole undergraduate environment and the feel of the city in general.
    Not at all, it would be far easier to teach yourself Economics than Maths, teaching is vital to maths; I wouldn't say it's self-taught in the slightest. The Maths departent isn't great here, you can't even compare it to Cambridge or bath - like I said, just in the top 10, nothing more.

ReputationRep:
    why exeter gets 401 votes?
    is it really good? (i come from elsewhere so i m not sure whether its a joke or what.. dun blame me)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etomac)
    why exeter gets 401 votes?
    is it really good? (i come from elsewhere so i m not sure whether its a joke or what.. dun blame me)
    No. Someone has fiddled with the poll.

ReputationRep:
    oh i see thanks

(Original post by hornblower)
    No. Someone has fiddled with the poll.
    How dare you accuse Katy or Ollie of that.... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    401 for Exeter! - rotfl - you lickle cheat Katy

Obviously the thread starter hasn't done much research before suggesting unis as he/she failed to list Bath, which dominates the Maths subject league tables.

Regarding Cambridge, the reputation of Trinity being best for Maths is well known amongst the Mathematics fraternity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stuart Isaacs)
    Feel free to comment (and give me +rep)

Stu

:mad:

After Oxford, Warwick has the best maths department/courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    After Oxford, Warwick has the best maths department/courses.
    Nah warwick is better than oxford, prestige removed.

(Original post by yawn1)
    Obviously the thread starter hasn't done much research before suggesting unis as he/she failed to list Bath
    Or they just wanted opinions on the ones that they have included, either explaination would be valid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Obviously the thread starter hasn't done much research before suggesting unis as he/she failed to list Bath, which dominates the Maths subject league tables.
    Or the thread starter has a thing against Bath and Cambridge.

And speaking of league tables, Cambridge is back on top of the Times leage table this year (and The Guardian one, although Oxford is second according to that, so I still have my suspicions).

Trinity has the largest reputation for Maths in the university, but the best mathematician in Cambridge isn't necessarily a Trinitarian. However, the British IMO team does train there, so a lot of them apply there also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    Or the thread starter has a thing against Bath and Cambridge.

And speaking of league tables, Cambridge is back on top of the Times leage table this year (and The Guardian one, although Oxford is second according to that, so I still have my suspicions).

Trinity has the largest reputation for Maths in the university, but the best mathematician in Cambridge isn't necessarily a Trinitarian. However, the British IMO team does train there, so a lot of them apply there also.
    I agree with your comment that the best mathematicians are not necessarily to be found at Trinity - just as the best are not necessarily at Cambridge anyway!

Also, the undergraduates are all taught at the Mathematical Sciences block regardless of college, and they are taught by the same people. However, historically, Trinity is regarded as the cream, (even the heir to the British throne was sent there) just as say Robinson is less prestigious.

It seems to be neck and neck with Bath and Cambridge for Maths according to the Times, but Cambridge has just pipped Bath to the post for the first time in 3 years!

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Trinity is regarded as the cream, (even the heir to the British throne was sent there)
    Although the intellectual prowess of Prince Charles is not exactly something any college or university would be proud to put among its highlights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    Although the intellectual prowess of Prince Charles is not exactly something any college or university would be proud to put among its highlights.
    Tell me about it. Did his royal highness not get in with just 3 Cs? mind you dear old bush's intellect isn't going to make yale that proud either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Tell me about it. Did his royal highness not get in with just 3 Cs? mind you dear old bush's intellect isn't going to make yale that proud either.
    You had an entrance exam in those days, so to a certain extent A Level results didn't really matter.

(Original post by Tek)
    You had an entrance exam in those days, so to a certain extent A Level results didn't really matter.
    I really want to believe that he aced the entrance exam but the cynic in me is just not buying it. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I really want to believe that he aced the entrance exam but the cynic in me is just not buying it. :rolleyes:
    Many of us at Trinity wish we could undo that bit of history

Although it does bring in the tourists which keeps rents low :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Many of us at Trinity wish we could undo that bit of history

Although it does bring in the tourists which keeps rents low :cool:
    Something tells me that the visitors don't go to Trinity just to worship the dirt that Charles walked on. :rolleyes:As for visitors, Charles's son and the dirt at St. Andrews - I guess that's a different matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Something tells me that the visitors don't go to Trinity just to worship the dirt that Charles walked on. :rolleyes:
    You'd be surprised at what tourists are interested in!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.