Which Is The Best University For Maths? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Squishy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
If Trinity was considered the best by the 'establishment' I guess they were in a position to make that judgement valid, more so than most, regardless of the intellectual prowess (or lack) of the royal progeny.
I don't think many of the people at Trinity were happy that Prince Charles was coming there...the other students weren't from what I heard, since it's the equivalent of having George Bush at an intelligent people's conference.

Trinity's not necessarily the most academic college in the university. I don't ever remember seeing it in the top 5 according to the Tompkins table, but they do take their work seriously, and there are always some very hard-working and clever people there.
shiny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Squishy)
Trinity's not necessarily the most academic college in the university. I don't ever remember seeing it in the top 5 according to the Tompkins table, but they do take their work seriously, and there are always some very hard-working and clever people there.
I wouldn't use the Tompkins Table to compare colleges. The Top 10 are usually separated by something ridiculous like 4% points which is hardly significant really!
BossLady
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Exeter 402???? :confused: It's a great uni but seriously...!
If the mods have been tampering with the poll I am very disappointed w/ them. What's the point of having a poll if the results are skewed?! A person who has no idea about which uni has the strongest maths course may actually be swayed by the poll and the fact that Exeter has 402 votes.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BossLady)
If the mods have been tampering with the poll I am very disappointed w/ them. What's the point of having a poll if the results are skewed?! A person who has no idea about which uni has the strongest maths course may actually be swayed by the poll and the fact that Exeter has 402 votes.
If it was one of the mods, it would seem a very imature action.
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BossLady)
it's quite funny actually! Although I do get your point
Squishy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by shiny)
I wouldn't use the Tompkins Table to compare colleges. The Top 10 are usually separated by something ridiculous like 4% points which is hardly significant really!
All the colleges are only ever separated by about 10% max anyway, but a few people I know were surprised when they heard Trinity wasn't top of it every year.
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
All the colleges are only ever separated by about 10% max anyway, but a few people I know were surprised when they heard Trinity wasn't top of it every year.
Apparently it tops that table for maths and sciences subjects regularly apparently. dunno? :confused: never particularly bothered me.
Squishy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by shiny)
Apparently it tops that table for maths and sciences subjects regularly apparently. dunno? :confused: never particularly bothered me.
Those tables are worth very little anyway. There's no point saying, "On average, my college was one of the best for its exam results, but I got a Third."
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Those tables are worth very little anyway. There's no point saying, "On average, my college was one of the best for its exam results, but I got a Third."
If you got a third you'd be hiding that fact

Squishy, you username keeps reminding me of finding nemo!
Squishy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mysticmin)
Squishy, you username keeps reminding me of finding nemo!
Yours reminds me of Mystic Meg!
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yours reminds me of Mystic Meg!
Hmm, dman, that was where I got my inspiration from

I just keep recalling the line that dory sings 'you shall be my squishy and my squishy shall be mine - OWWWW!"
Squishy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hmm, dman, that was where I got my inspiration from

I just keep recalling the line that dory sings 'you shall be my squishy and my squishy shall be mine - OWWWW!"
There's just no one as mystic as Mystic Meg.

You know, I still haven't seen that film...I've been meaning to for ages, but I keep procrastinating and something gets in the way. Kinda like with revision, except less serious.
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
There's just no one as mystic as Mystic Meg.

You know, I still haven't seen that film...I've been meaning to for ages, but I keep procrastinating and something gets in the way. Kinda like with revision, except less serious.
Ha ha, you should be ashamed of yourself. It's a great film, you can finally see the jellyfish that you remind me of!

I didn't realised when I initially chose my screename, that it was liked to a branch of philosophy.
Squishy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ha ha, you should be ashamed of yourself. It's a great film, you can finally see the jellyfish that you remind me of!

I didn't realised when I initially chose my screename, that it was liked to a branch of philosophy.
*sigh* I've been accused of some pretty strange things, but never of being a jellyfish.

What branch of philosophy is that?
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
*sigh* I've been accused of some pretty strange things, but never of being a jellyfish.

What branch of philosophy is that?
No idea, I'm much more of a scientist than a philosopher
Squishy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No idea, I'm much more of a scientist than a philosopher
Are you, or do you just think you are?

I hate bloody philosophy...
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Are you, or do you just think you are?

I hate bloody philosophy...
Well I've never studied philosophy and I'm about to commence on an engineering degree so I stick to my more of a scientist than philosopher mark. Yourself?
Squishy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well I've never studied philosophy and I'm about to commence on an engineering degree so I stick to my more of a scientist than philosopher mark. Yourself?
Most Western philosophers are incredibly long-winded and boring. The only one I've read without almost falling asleep is Bertrand Russell, and even he used a few too many words for my liking.

But I'm going on a compsci degree, so it really doesn't bother me.

Engineering and compsci both have too many lectures though. :rolleyes:
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Most Western philosophers are incredibly long-winded and boring. The only one I've read without almost falling asleep is Bertrand Russell, and even he used a few too many words for my liking.

But I'm going on a compsci degree, so it really doesn't bother me.

Engineering and compsci both have too many lectures though. :rolleyes:

More like too many lab classes... Look on the bright side, we have no essays and dissertations. Although we do get project work :s
Squishy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have to write a third-year dissertation though!

Is your degree 3 or 4 years?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1628)
78.91%
Leave (435)
21.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed