The Student Room Group

Feel like dropping out of university to pursue dream career. Any advice?

Hi. So I'm a 19 y/o, and am currently in my second year studying Biology at uni.

I've always loved everything about the subject, but recently studying just feels like a chore in order to not get kicked out from the course, because of how much work I need to do, and I end up leaving studying or coursework until the last few days, just putting enough effort to get the pass mark.

I also have a goal of being a concept artist (digital), but my initial plan was to pursue it after I finish my degree. However, after being bored the hell out from uni, and spending £1,400 on a professional drawing tablet a few months ago, I have been addicted to drawing and have loved it so much that I've skipped 4 whole days of University just to stay at home and draw. This isn't an infatuation btw, since drawing has been my main hobby since an 8 year old.

Don't get me wrong - I love everything else about uni and have alot of friends. It's just the demand to study so much for something I have lost interest in - I hate it. Overall I have just basically lost motivation to study or and finish my degree because learning is not fun anymore. I haven't studied and have hardly done any coursework for my deadline in 1 month. I just come in for my attendance to not get kicked out.

I've also realistically thought about it, and am 100% confident and sure that I will be good enough at my skill to start earning money after 2 years of constant practice, so I can transition it from a hobby to a career (I'll just be working normal retail jobs til then).

Problem is I'll feel really bad about dropping out, and everyone will see me as a failure or as having made a mistake for not finishing my degree - and I've honestly lost all motivation to finish uni - but I'm confident that I can use the talent I love to also make a living soon.

Any advice?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ItsMario
Hi. So I'm a 19 y/o, and am currently in my second year studying Biology at uni.

I've always loved everything about the subject, but recently studying just feels like a chore in order to not get kicked out from the course, because of how much work I need to do, and I end up leaving studying or coursework until the last few days, just putting enough effort to get the pass mark.

I also have a goal of being a concept artist (digital), but my initial plan was to pursue it after I finish my degree. However, after being bored the hell out from uni, and spending £1,400 on a professional drawing tablet a few months ago, I have been addicted to drawing and have loved it so much that I've skipped 4 whole days of University just to stay at home and draw. This isn't an infatuation btw, since drawing has been my main hobby since an 8 year old.

Don't get me wrong - I love everything else about uni and have alot of friends. It's just the demand to study so much for something I have lost interest in - I hate it. Overall I have just basically lost motivation to study or and finish my degree because learning is not fun anymore. I haven't studied and have hardly done any coursework for my deadline in 1 month. I just come in for my attendance to not get kicked out.

I've also realistically thought about it, and am 100% confident and sure that I will be good enough at my skill to start earning money after 2 years of constant practice, so I can transition it from a hobby to a career (I'll just be working normal retail jobs til then).

Problem is I'll feel really bad about dropping out, and everyone will see me as a failure or as having made a mistake for not finishing my degree - and I've honestly lost all motivation to finish uni - but I'm confident that I can use the talent I love to also make a living soon.

Any advice?

How are you going to pay for living expenses and stuff during those 2 years?
Reply 2
Original post by Zweihander
How are you going to pay for living expenses and stuff during those 2 years?

Retail job + left over student loan (a few grand). I'll be living at home, so won't need to pay for rent. Just other expenses which I can easily pay for.
Retail job + left over student loan (a few grand). I'll be living at home, so won't need to pay for rent. Just other expenses which I can easily pay for.

do you have any examples of your art you can post?

i also seriously considered a career in digital art but chickened out and am now in my second year studying bio too hahahha but i'm jus gonna graduate nd go with the flow bc luckily the uni is good so having the degree is probably way way safer
i still draw plenty in my free time tho :^)
and there's always the opportunity for me to apply to art school later in life but i probably wouldn't be able to do this degree again if i dropped out

Any advice?

If you're very unhappy with your current situation then it makes sense to change it. You seem very confident in your artistic skills, and genuinely disappointed with your course. I think that this idea could potentially work out well, as long as you remain motivated for the next 2 years. How will you start earning money after the 2 years? Is there a particular job you're aiming for? Also, will you just be practising at home the entire time, or will you look for short art courses to take in the meantime? Just be sure that you've thought of how to use your time wisely and productively.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending