Can I apply to "better" universities with low AS Grades?

Watch
Man16
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
My predicted grades are BBD and I'm applying for Computer Science. If my personal statement is excellent and I have a lot of knowledge in the field already, can I get an offer from something of the likes of UCL or KCL? Or am I aiming too high?
victoria98
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Man16)
My predicted grades are BBD and I'm applying for Computer Science. If my personal statement is excellent and I have a lot of knowledge in the field already, can I get an offer from something of the likes of UCL or KCL? Or am I aiming too high?
With those predicted grades you're probably aiming too high, I mean KCL entry requirements for BSc Computer Science are AAB and for UCL A*AA. If those were your AS grades then you'd probably have some chance with KCL... Anyway, nothing stops you from applying, but I do feel it would be a waste of a choice in your case, sorry! Spend some time looking at other Computer Science courses, you might find one that you really like at another university. What were your AS grades?
kandykissesxox
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You could always take a foundation year at unis such as Manchester, and the entry requirements for the foundation course are slightly lower (I can't remember what other unis do the foundation year)
High Stakes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Man16)
Don't recommend. You'll get a bunch of straight rejections.

But if you want to go to a top university you have two options:

1) Adjustment. It basically means if you do really well in your A levels and surpass your current offer (at an university), you can apply to a higher or 'better' university.

2) Do really well in your A levels, take a gap year and reapply during then. If you manage to get AAA you can have your cake and eat it.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Man16)
Make aure you include some safer options as well

Also as someone else said look at foundation years, southampton and durham both do a foundation year for CompSci
cherryred90s
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Man16)
This is not a good idea, you will get rejected.
can't you get your teacher to raise the D to a C? Apply for unis asking for your predicted and perhaps one uni asking for 300UCAS points/ BBB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (344)
34.78%
No (645)
65.22%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed