need help..for choosing the A levels Watch

This discussion is closed.
Scientist=Crap
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
:mad:

i am really not sure about the subjects i'll do in the sixth form.

i have an idea, but can anyone help here.

Should i go for Further Maths.. A question for those who are doing it or have done it....coz i have heard alot..and that means ALOT that further maths is really hard & demands alot of effort,muscle,concentration and mind.

so any suggestions from you guys....i am not asking the teachers.....i need feed back from the studentsss

plus.....what kind of subject is physics in the Alevels.....interesting ??or boring like chemistry :confused:

plz help
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Scientist=Crap)

Should i go for Further Maths.. A question for those who are doing it or have done it....coz i have heard alot..and that means ALOT that further maths is really hard & demands alot of effort,muscle,concentration and mind.

so any suggestions from you guys....i am not asking the teachers.....i need feed back from the studentsss

plus.....what kind of subject is physics in the Alevels.....interesting ??or boring like chemistry :confused:

plz help
At my school's sixth form, out of about 300 pupils, they only let six do Further Maths. They all got As in 2002, however.
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

plz help
Obviously you're going to take Maths, otherwise you wouldn't contemplate Further...

Further, is a challenge, mentally - you have twice as many maths lessons as everyone else, and twice as many modules going round your head at any one time. Therefore you need to be able to stay focused. It also increases the likelyhood of having 2 exams in the same sitting, something I can guarentee you will have at some stage, but with Further it will just happen more often.

However, if you are A* or A destined at GCSE Maths, then you can have a serious think about it.

Physics is a whole different ball game; and I dropped it at the end of Year 12, after being bored, and finding that the teaching technique clashes with the Mechanics in Maths were horrific.

Example.

Maths - here's the constant acceleration formulae, here's how we derive them, these are questions we can use them to answer.

Physics - here are the constant acceleration formulae, learn them, these are the questions we can use them to answer.

However, if you fancy something like engineering, then it would be useful. Personally I didn't find it interesting, just a case of factual recall, which peaved me.

Speaking to my collegues who did Chemistry, they found it really interesting, a good balance of practical and theory, with quite a straight forward AS year, but quite a tricky A2 year.

Again if you are A* and A at GCSE, then seriously consider taking it as a full A-Level, other wise, see how it goes, as an AS and work it out next summer.

Maths, Further, Physics, and Chem - thats a real tough little batch if you intend on doing them, and a never ending line of ='s when it comes to your folders at times... not impossible, but certainly a challenge, that will keep you very busy in the evenings.
Consider if you want a subject in there that will develop your report writing technique, as you are bound to need these at some stage later in life.
Scientist=Crap
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Expression)
Obviously you're going to take Maths, otherwise you wouldn't contemplate Further...

Further, is a challenge, mentally - you have twice as many maths lessons as everyone else, and twice as many modules going round your head at any one time. Therefore you need to be able to stay focused. It also increases the likelyhood of having 2 exams in the same sitting, something I can guarentee you will have at some stage, but with Further it will just happen more often.

However, if you are A* or A destined at GCSE Maths, then you can have a serious think about it.

Physics is a whole different ball game; and I dropped it at the end of Year 12, after being bored, and finding that the teaching technique clashes with the Mechanics in Maths were horrific.

Example.

Maths - here's the constant acceleration formulae, here's how we derive them, these are questions we can use them to answer.

Physics - here are the constant acceleration formulae, learn them, these are the questions we can use them to answer.

However, if you fancy something like engineering, then it would be useful. Personally I didn't find it interesting, just a case of factual recall, which peaved me.

Speaking to my collegues who did Chemistry, they found it really interesting, a good balance of practical and theory, with quite a straight forward AS year, but quite a tricky A2 year.

Again if you are A* and A at GCSE, then seriously consider taking it as a full A-Level, other wise, see how it goes, as an AS and work it out next summer.

Maths, Further, Physics, and Chem - thats a real tough little batch if you intend on doing them, and a never ending line of ='s when it comes to your folders at times... not impossible, but certainly a challenge, that will keep you very busy in the evenings.
Consider if you want a subject in there that will develop your report writing technique, as you are bound to need these at some stage later in life.
actually my bro told me that the Further maths students are generally favoured if it comes to the univ.admissions (but i know its something to do with the ucas points..when it comes to the admission)

.......anyone heard of GP general paper (As) in the camb. syllabus
......should i take this subject to improve my english and comprehension.

but this makes it 5 subjects...hard ....hard more me!!??!?"?

what should i drop hereee
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
5 subjects isnt that tough - If you're hard working enough you should do fine. Further maths is very useful for lots of subjects at uni (Maths,sciences etc) but is not required. F maths isnt too much harder than nearer maths, and when you start to learn it you will be a lot better so it shouldnt seem to hard (providing you are an A prefarably A* GCSE)
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
actually my bro told me that the Further maths students are generally favoured if it comes to the univ.admissions (but i know its something to do with the ucas points..when it comes to the admission)

but this makes it 5 subjects...hard ....hard more me!!??!?"?

what should i drop hereee
Not favoured, for most maths courses it's useful, it gives you a bit of a head start at Uni, in that some things will look sort of familiar, however you still are required to achieve in it, just like any other A-Level.

And by the way, 5 subjects is a silly amount to take, even more so for when you get through to A2. It will take more determination in those months where you feel like doing a fat load of nothing, to get through increasing piles of work.

You will also find that you have even less frees to get the work done at school, and so your own time in the evening slowly deminishes to nothing, possibly rendering you socially inert, and having people around you outside of school hours is something you desperately rely on at certain intervals in the year.
It'sPhil...
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Expression)
And by the way, 5 subjects is a silly amount to take, even more so for when you get through to A2. It will take more determination in those months where you feel like doing a fat load of nothing, to get through increasing piles of work.

You will also find that you have even less frees to get the work done at school, and so your own time in the evening slowly deminishes to nothing, possibly rendering you socially inert, and having people around you outside of school hours is something you desperately rely on at certain intervals in the year.
I disagree. I did 4 As last year and on average i spent on average 2 or 3 hours a week on hwk. Others who did 5 obviously had less frees but still coped fine. Also doind double maths makes life easier cos you get half as much hwk (as 2 subject blocks are maths instead of 1 maths and 1 something else) and its all maths stuff ie no long horrid essays.

I agree that 5 may be excessive at A2 but 4 is not unreasonable and it also makes you look better for unis. When i visited Pembroke (cambridge) they said double maths ppl should have at least 2 other full Alevels
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by It'sPhil...)
I agree that 5 may be excessive at A2 but 4 is not unreasonable and it also makes you look better for unis. When i visited Pembroke (cambridge) they said double maths ppl should have at least 2 other full Alevels
And I bet they still only make offers based on 3 A Levels, and an AS...

happydinosaur
Report 15 years ago
my advice is do what you enjoy..when i chose mine people were telling me that i was making a mistake by doing both art and theatre studies as they are what a lot of people view as "mickey mouse" subjects and that if i decided i wanted to go into something like politics (which was another of my choices) i would be looked down on..i did consider doing sciences aswell but then i though about how i was really good at them but i just don't find them fun as they are easy so i decided to go with what i enjoyed instead..and as fot taking lots of subjects its fine if you really enjoy the work but i have friends who took five and then dropped one as they realised it was just unnessecary work for them. I have another friend who is doing 6 As Levels-she doesnt really has a social life and has spent the last month or so doing nothing but revise for exams..nothing else at all really..but if you really enjoy doing work then go for it, i mean i am going to carry on with four full alevels because i really cant bear to drop one..i just love learning far too much lol
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

plz help
Well, it depends what physics course you will be doing, if you do the salters course, you will have units about electronics, archeology, laws of motion, physical properties of foodand prosthectics and body physics.
for A2 you will do about feilds, coomunication, astrophysics, particle physics and simple harmonic motion.
tis_me_lord
Report 15 years ago
My step-mums a maths teacher at A2 level so she brings back papers all the time, including advanced maths and it really isn't that hard, harder then regular maths in that i got a C rather than an A in it but if your actually taught it then it should all become far easier, good luck if you choose it.

I'd do physics if you're intrested in the content. I'm going to do it at AS level purely because i think it's one of the most intresting subjects and that makes it easier to learn it all - i fins business studies 10 times harder then maths and physics for instance.
Charters
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Don't do psychology it involves lots of case studies and you start reading into everything people do. I think the bases of a science is always good or a language (if you are very good at them). If your good at maths its kind of like a blessing because you can do maths, further maths and it does make life easier. Then you have a range of maths based subjects too.
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

plz help
Right, I do maths and physics at A2, and f. maths at AS. I have to say doing f maths makes normal maths a lot easier, and although the further maths will seem taxing at first, it all clicks in the end. If you enjoy maths then I suggest doing f. maths. I did biology in my first year of sixth form, and only picked up the f. maths this year, which I regret doing. Wished I hadn't touched biology, boring as hell.

Physics can be very boring, but at A level you do learn some of the edgier interesting stuff like photoemission and cylcotrons and subatomic particles (leptons, gluons, quarks etc).

I've heard from my friends who do chem, that it consists of a lot of solid learning, where as physics and maths are based more on understanding and application of principles. Be warned that the physics synoptic taken for A2 is a complete <insert rude word>.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (97)
18.87%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (327)
63.62%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.67%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed