Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
If you can work it out, please don't just blurt the answer out here as it will spoil the fun for others.

PM me with your answers and I'll praise you highly, publicly.

http://postimg.org/image/hqukcle0b/

Each H-NMR peak has the integration ratios above and a magnified version to the right.

Some of the reactions may not be familiar to some specification followers, but are easily found.
username986184
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Pigster)
If you can work it out, please don't just blurt the answer out here as it will spoil the fun for others.

PM me with your answers and I'll praise you highly, publicly.

http://postimg.org/image/hqukcle0b/

Each H-NMR peak has the integration ratios above and a magnified version to the right.

Some of the reactions may not be familiar to some specification followers, but are easily found.
Could be wrong but not convinced by this question. Give us a molecular formula of final.
Pigster
Rep:
I suspect the multiplet @ 4.4 is the sticking point.

If I suggested it were a quintet (it does have five peaks (also Pascal's triangle vs peak areas?)))... would that help?
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 years ago

If I suggested it were a quintet (it does have five peaks (also Pascal's triangle vs peak areas?)))... would that help?
Not really.

My problem is that once the aromatic protons at 7.5 are included with the solitary benzyl hydrogen you are left with an odd number of protons to be equally divided by two R groups ...
username986184
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 5 years ago

No doesn't help.
Pigster
Rep:
(Original post by charco)
Not really.

My problem is that once the aromatic protons at 7.5 are included with the solitary benzyl hydrogen you are left with an odd number of protons to be equally divided by two R groups ...
The only conclusion to draw, therefore, is that one of the steps in the synthesis of A to J must have introduced or removed one hydrogen from one of the two R groups.
langlitz
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
What's NMR again?
Pigster
Rep:
(Original post by langlitz)
What's NMR again?
http://www.nmr.co.uk/
langlitz
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Some interesting info and links
http://bullsemen.com/
Pigster
Rep:
A bloke I went to school with sells bull spunk for a living.

It's good money, I hear.

He doesn't even have to gather it for himself, or anything.

Hang on! Off topic. This was meant to be a dead hard synthesis!
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
A bloke I went to school with sells bull spunk for a living.

It's good money, I hear.

He doesn't even have to gather it for himself, or anything.

Hang on! Off topic. This was meant to be a dead hard synthesis!
A friend used to work for the Pig Improvement Company in Oxfordshire artificially inseminating sows with a big curly todger
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (18)
8.29%
Okay (64)
29.49%
A bit lacking (81)
37.33%
Not good at all (54)
24.88%

Watched Threads