Uni students: How often do you go back to visit home?

Watch
loveleest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Do you visit during specific occasions, like Christmas, Easter etc... or like every fortnight ?
Alexion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(still in Y13)

I plan on returning every week / fortnight to see my girlfriend it's only 90 minutes' drive...
Ivanka
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When I was an undergrad, I would visit my parents roughly every time off at uni (reading weeks, out of term time). Now, as a grad student, we see each other once a month, but I stay just over a weekend usually.
dean01234
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Think weekly is way too often, I found that when I was going every 2 weeks that I was missing out on a lot. In my final year I was going back for big events or every 5-6 weeks
Little Tail Chaser
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I completely moved out from my mother's place so I go home every day... I live at home

I haven't been to visit my family since I moved out, but I've been back to the area where I grew up to see friends.
Scienceisgood
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I only go home during Christmas holidays and if I can afford the time, Easter.

Basically, every 3 months or so. =l
Kevin De Bruyne
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The first year it was every 4 weeks, either leave on a Saturday morning or Friday evening and back on a Sunday night. Plus all the standard holidays.

This year I've only gone back for Christmas in Semester 1 as I was expecting an interview to pop up where I live at some point during the semester, which is now in January.. next week :eek4:
The Wavefunction
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Every other weekend. Only 50 minutes away and I work back home
Pharmaholic
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Every two weeks. But now, I'll be going probably once a month or maybe once every two months.
TattyBoJangles
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have moved completely out of my parents' house now (third year). Moved into my flat in August and I've seen them once since - visited the weekend before Christmas.

Am just about to leave to drive down there now, but that's because I'm off to New York in a few days' time. When I booked the holiday I forgot I live in Scotland now and booked the flights from Heathrow..

To be fair, it's an 8 hour drive and they've not come up to visit me either. Next year I'm moving to London which is only an hour or so from my parents' house, and I'll visit more then - I'll be able to visit for the day instead of having to commit to days on end.
Proxenus
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Every holiday

Posted from TSR Mobile
DarkMagic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I went home nearly every weekend and for holidays. I didn't really want to, but everyone I lived with did the same. I got a job at home mid way through second year so I didn't have a choice after that. I didn't bother going home in final year when I wasn't working though.
PurplePixie96
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
*laughing*
Like... Every study week and holiday, but I've started volunteering at the Vet's on campus on study weeks. I hated living with my family, I had no freedom and was constantly criticised. At uni, I'm relaxed, I can sleep properly and eat healthy food (my family doesn't believe in fruit apparently... heathens...). So I keep going home to a minimum, or I just stay with my boyfriend and his family.
tealover96
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Done my first term and been going back every week or other week...it's about a one and a half hour train journey
But I'll go back far less often from now on I think
rapmon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Every holiday so about 3 times a year (every 4 months)
loveleest
Rep:
?
(Original post by PurplePixie96)
*laughing*
Like... Every study week and holiday, but I've started volunteering at the Vet's on campus on study weeks. I hated living with my family, I had no freedom and was constantly criticised. At uni, I'm relaxed, I can sleep properly and eat healthy food (my family doesn't believe in fruit apparently... heathens...). So I keep going home to a minimum, or I just stay with my boyfriend and his family.
how often do you have study weeks? Do you have to go back home for Christmas, Easter etc??
PurplePixie96
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by loveleest)
how often do you have study weeks? Do you have to go back home for Christmas, Easter etc??
Study weeks or reading weeks are pretty much half terms Some universities do not let you stay in accommodation over holidays such as Easter and Christmas but some will (like mine!). But it's unlikely you'd be able to stay any longer than a week over summer. That may change if you get your own place with friends in your second year but I don't know since my Uni lets us stay in accomodation all 3 years.
loveleest
Rep:
?
(Original post by PurplePixie96)
Study weeks or reading weeks are pretty much half terms Some universities do not let you stay in accommodation over holidays such as Easter and Christmas but some will (like mine!). But it's unlikely you'd be able to stay any longer than a week over summer. That may change if you get your own place with friends in your second year but I don't know since my Uni lets us stay in accomodation all 3 years.
Oh okay, thank you!
Asklepios
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Usually every 2/3 weeks depends how much work I have. It's only an hour in the train, and train every half hour so not too bad.
neal95
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Every other week because I come home for football. It's only an hour on the train to Birmingham new street and 1 hour half to my house. Plus you can get a return for £18.20 which is way less than what I would spend on a night/couple nights out at uni plus my parents pay for the train tickets anyway. I couldn't imagine staying and getting caught up in that uni bubble for like 12 weeks on end, definitely to insular for my liking
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (15)
25.86%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.9%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
62.07%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads