The Student Room Group
Reply 1
nikhil_misri
any1 here no of any websites with edexcel past papers, or edexcel questions for P2 maths? ne help appreciated :smile:

http://www.mrhughes.net/Maths/Hidden%20Pages/login.htm

username:alevel
password:mrhughes
www.rdoh.com\exams
user is exams and password is ukl.
Reply 3
guys an anyone do pg 190 heinemann p2 examination style paper 6b?
Reply 4
TheWolf
guys an anyone do pg 190 heinemann p2 examination style paper 6b?

neone?
Reply 5
TheWolf
neone?

i used an iteration
rearranged to x=(10lnx+3)/2

with a starting value of 6 and got between 15 and 16

i suppose u could use trial and error until u see a sign change but iteration possibly best...intereseting to see how it should be done
Reply 6
lgs98jonee
i used an iteration
rearranged to x=(10lnx+3)/2

with a starting value of 6 and got between 15 and 16

i suppose u could use trial and error until u see a sign change but iteration possibly best...intereseting to see how it should be done

how did you make that iteration formula?

ahh cool - you can use any starting value right?
Reply 7
and by using the iteration formula - how do you rearrange it so that you make sure youre not getting the x value of A?
Reply 8
TheWolf
how did you make that iteration formula?

ahh cool - you can use any starting value right?

u cant always..here u seem to have to be able to use any value above that of the other intersection (i.e about 1)...i am not quite sure about the exact rules for when the iteration coverges to certain values...
Reply 9
lgs98jonee
u cant always..here u seem to have to be able to use any value above that of the other intersection (i.e about 1)...i am not quite sure about the exact rules for when the iteration coverges to certain values...

i figured out the iteration too, but there is point a and point b,when you put why = 0, but why the hell does the iteration formula only converge to point b's value?
TheWolf
i figured out the iteration too, but there is point a and point b,when you put why = 0, but why the hell does the iteration formula only converge to point b's value?

well if x<1 lnx is -ve and 10lnx+3<0 generally, so when x2 is worked out (which is negative) u can not continue as u can not do ln of a negative number

if u put x>=1, then u get a larger +ve number which increases until 10lnx+3 is constant
Reply 11
lgs98jonee
well if x<1 lnx is -ve and 10lnx+3<0 generally, so when x2 is worked out (which is negative) u can not continue as u can not do ln of a negative number

if u put x>=1, then u get a larger +ve number which increases until 10lnx+3 is constant

but both xs are bigger than one in no.6? soz im sure youre right - but im slow at understanding :eek:
TheWolf
but both xs are bigger than one in no.6? soz im sure youre right - but im slow at understanding :eek:

no cos 6a is... Show that the x co-ord of A lie in interval (0.5,1)
Reply 13
lgs98jonee
no cos 6a is... Show that the x co-ord of A lie in interval (0.5,1)

yea..ln0.5 = a negative answer..and
TheWolf

ln1=0 so when x=1, it equals -1
TheWolf

but 2x0.5-10ln0.5-3=-2+10ln2which is +ve
Reply 16
lgs98jonee
but 2x0.5-10ln0.5-3=-2+10ln2which is +ve

mate thanks, but i dont have a clue how this means the iterative formula only shows the other solution - ill figure a way to understand it myself
TheWolf
mate thanks, but i dont have a clue how this means the iterative formula only shows the other solution - ill figure a way to understand it myself

well yeah it is a bit ambiguous...but u know there r only 2 solutions and u know one is between 0.5 and 1 so u know the other is the only other one. look at it this way

if x<1
then lnx is -ve
and then when this value is put back in to the iteration thing u get an error becos u can not do ln of a -ve number

but if u do ln of x where x is >=1 u get 10lnx-3 which is bigger than x so this increases until u reach the x value which u r looking for
Reply 18
lgs98jonee
well yeah it is a bit ambiguous...but u know there r only 2 solutions and u know one is between 0.5 and 1 so u know the other is the only other one. look at it this way

if x<1
then lnx is -ve
and then when this value is put back in to the iteration thing u get an error becos u can not do ln of a -ve number

but if u do ln of x where x is >=1 u get 10lnx-3 which is bigger than x so this increases until u reach the x value which u r looking for

ahh lol ofcourse - thanks for clearing this up mate
Reply 19
TheWolf

In general. if you have a simple iteration formula,

x_(r+1) = g(x_r)

then there wil be convergence, to a point a if |g'(a)| < 1 and g' is continuous at a.

when g(x) = (10lnx + 3)/2
g'(x) = 5/x
and
|g(x)| < 1 for |x| > 5

So the iteration formula will converge for x=15.063 (approx) (5/15.063 < 1 => converges) but trying to converge for x=0.884 won't work 'cos 5/0.884 >> 1 => non-convergence :frown:

Latest