What the hell can I do with these A-Levels?

Watch this thread
potassium123
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am doing Maths, Physics and History A-Levels and I really don't know what I can possibly do for a degree with them. I know I do not really want to do Engineering or a STEM subject but other than that what else can I do? I am also looking to go to the top unis.

If anyone can give suggestions of degrees options it would much appreciated!
Mayhem™
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Teaching? By ruling out STEM with those A-levels, there isn't much left.
kieran12321LFC
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by potassium123)
I am doing Maths, Physics and History A-Levels and I really don't know what I can possibly do for a degree with them. I know I do not really want to do Engineering or a STEM subject but other than that what else can I do? I am also looking to go to the top unis.

If anyone can give suggestions of degrees options it would much appreciated!
Why are you doing them subjects if you don't want to do STEM? Do you just not enjoy them
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
You could do something like Law or History?

Posted from TSR Mobile
potassium123
Rep:
(Original post by kieran12321LFC)
Why are you doing them subjects if you don't want to do STEM? Do you just not enjoy them
I enjoy them, just not enough to do it at a degree level. Plus, I want to carry on with history but have some mathematical content in my degree as well.
kieran12321LFC
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I enjoy them, just not enough to do it at a degree level. Plus, I want to carry on with history but have some mathematical content in my degree as well.
Dunno, maybe there's some joint honours maths/history knocking about but I imagine doing joint honours may be considered a bit of a mickey mouse degree by employers as it's like two half degrees rather than just one full degree
potassium123
Rep:
(Original post by Changing Skies)
You could do something like Law or History?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I guess I could, just always heard from people you need English Literature :confused:
Anonymοοse
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Well, what do you enjoy doing and where do you see yourself in 10 years time? Law? History? Teaching?

You have so, so many options - there are dozens of courses that have no specific A-level subject requirements. Have a look at university prospectuses to give yourself an idea, or speak to a careers advisor.

You can also have a look at TSR's own Try Uni Match Beta, to point you in the right direction

Best of luck
BlackSweetness
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
You thought about doing economics? I would definetely say its a mix of history with maths in as well
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I guess I could, just always heard from people you need English Literature :confused:
Nope you don't how about something economics based? Economic History? This course at Manchester looks good if you like history and maths. http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/un...cs-3-years-ba/

Posted from TSR Mobile
potassium123
Rep:
(Original post by Anonymοοse)
Well, what do you enjoy doing and where do you see yourself in 10 years time? Law? History? Teaching?

You have so, so many options - there are dozens of courses that have no specific A-level subject requirements. Have a look at university prospectuses to give yourself an idea, or speak to a careers advisor.

You can also have a look at TSR's own Try Uni Match Beta, to point you in the right direction

Best of luck
Thanks for the response! I do not really fancy doing teaching but I would love to do law. The only problem is that Law seems exceptionally difficult to get into and also I have heard people say at my college you need English Literature?

And I will try this tool out now! Thanks
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Marketing/Advertising
Business management
Accounting

Plenty of options really.
potassium123
Rep:
(Original post by BlackSweetness)
You thought about doing economics? I would definetely say its a mix of history with maths in as well
Definitely thought about it! Just I am not sure whether not taking economics is a disadvantage!
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Accounting and Finance?

Bit of finance, law, economics, and some Maths?
Metrododo
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
History, Philosophy, Law, potentially PPE (but not ideal without Economics)

Posted from TSR Mobile
xylas
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Usually the only maths you get in non-science/maths degrees is statistics based +- using Microsoft excel e.g. economics. Is this the sort of maths content you want?

Of course if you wanted loads of maths, history of maths could be an option but this is more akin to a maths degree than a history one.

Options off the top of my head could be: History, politics and economics BA; Archaeology BSc; Anthropology BSc. You could choose to do the BA versions of the last two but then there will be no statistics if this is what you want.
Anonymοοse
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Thanks for the response! I do not really fancy doing teaching but I would love to do law. The only problem is that Law seems exceptionally difficult to get into and also I have heard people say at my college you need English Literature?

And I will try this tool out now! Thanks
Law doesn't have any specific A-Level requirements. It may help to have studied a subject such as English Language or English Literature, but it's not a must, and since you've done History at A-Level, you're already familiar with essays and what have you, so it should help!

Also, just so you know, you don't actually need a degree in Law to pursue a career in Law. You can do a degree in any subject you want, History, Biology, Media Studies, (I have a friend who did Economics and is now working as a paralegal), and then you can do a 1 year conversion course after graduation called the GDL (graduate diploma in Law), which upon completion, puts you on the same level as Law graduates.

TL;DR - you don't need English literature to study law, and you don't need to study a law degree at university to become a lawyer!
username2130115
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
law? economics? ppe?
Wing:)
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Law maybe? Law leaves you so many options for your future career.

Posted from TSR Mobile
potassium123
Rep:
(Original post by Wing:))
Law maybe? Law leaves you so many options for your future career.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would History A-Level show enough ability to deal with lots of information then?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (13)
27.66%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (19)
40.43%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4.26%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4.26%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
8.51%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
12.77%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.13%

Watched Threads