Is Psychology worth taking for studing medicine in Uni?

Watch this thread
SunshineSangers1
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I meant STUDYING! (typo)

Anyway.....

Is it fun, if so how?
If you don't get into medicine how will it help in other fields?
What specifically do you learn...any examples?
Davalla
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SunshineSangers1)
I meant STUDYING! (typo)

Anyway.....

Is it fun, if so how?
If you don't get into medicine how will it help in other fields?
What specifically do you learn...any examples?
This previous thread is similar to the first question.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3765419
Medicinal subjects usually prefer a certain amount of primary subjects (I.e. the core sciences, etc) if an applicant is considered to be worthy at university level; Psychology might not be seen as a primary subject alone for all universities but by no means is it likely to hinder your application if you're studying alongside other, well approved, subjects.

This also may help with the advantages of studying the subject:
https://successatschool.org/advicede...-Psychology%3F

I'm not completely up to date with the specifications and some exam boards may vary than others, but generally there will be many topics that you can cover; some topics might be optional and some will be essential. Topics can include relationships, eating disorders, sex & gender, mental illness, research methods & statistics, etc. Usually each topic will contain different theories and approaches to the problem- e.g. the biological, behavioural, social, and psychodynamic approaches will all be competing to offer the best explanations.

If you're confident in studying medicine at university, it might be worthwhile to look at some of the entry requirements for universities before you pick your courses so you have a general idea of what to offer.
hannahc072
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I want to study Medicine at university (2017 entry) and I am doing psychology at AS Level at the moment but I don't know whether to drop it at A2. Not sure about the topic you cover at A2 but for AS you do 3 main topics:
1) social influence; conformity, obedience etc.
2) memory; types of long term memory, forgetting etc
3) attachment; explanation of, and later relationships

I don't particularly find it 'fun' but the memory topic is quite helpful for revision!
Some universities prefer it because it is a social science and so you can relate it to dealing with patients in medicine, but most uni's don't mind what your 3rd A level is as long as you have 2 sciences
SunshineSangers1
Rep:
(Original post by Davalla)
This previous thread is similar to the first question.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3765419
Medicinal subjects usually prefer a certain amount of primary subjects (I.e. the core sciences, etc) if an applicant is considered to be worthy at university level; Psychology might not be seen as a primary subject alone for all universities but by no means is it likely to hinder your application if you're studying alongside other, well approved, subjects.

This also may help with the advantages of studying the subject:
https://successatschool.org/advicede...-Psychology%3F

I'm not completely up to date with the specifications and some exam boards may vary than others, but generally there will be many topics that you can cover; some topics might be optional and some will be essential. Topics can include relationships, eating disorders, sex & gender, mental illness, research methods & statistics, etc. Usually each topic will contain different theories and approaches to the problem- e.g. the biological, behavioural, social, and psychodynamic approaches will all be competing to offer the best explanations.

If you're confident in studying medicine at university, it might be worthwhile to look at some of the entry requirements for universities before you pick your courses so you have a general idea of what to offer.

Thank you for the helpful info and also the website, I can finally rest in peace!
SunshineSangers1
Rep:
(Original post by hannahc072)
I want to study Medicine at university (2017 entry) and I am doing psychology at AS Level at the moment but I don't know whether to drop it at A2. Not sure about the topic you cover at A2 but for AS you do 3 main topics:
1) social influence; conformity, obedience etc.
2) memory; types of long term memory, forgetting etc
3) attachment; explanation of, and later relationships

I don't particularly find it 'fun' but the memory topic is quite helpful for revision!
Some universities prefer it because it is a social science and so you can relate it to dealing with patients in medicine, but most uni's don't mind what your 3rd A level is as long as you have 2 sciences
Thank you for sharing your experience!- It helped, a LOT! from the look of these topics I think I might enjoy them! Whoohoo!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (72)
67.29%
In the post (5)
4.67%
Text (15)
14.02%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (15)
14.02%

Watched Threads