?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Smart people don't go to University, discuss
Obstrepherous
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Smart people are millionaires by the time they're 21.
mediageek123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by zigglr)
Smart people don't go to University, discuss
Okay well I'm not going to Uni merely because I don't see the point of taking out a student loan and always knowing you have to pay it back. If I want to go to Uni, I want to earn enough money, pay it and never have to worry about education fees again.

I know people talk about you have to earn so much money before you have to pay back student loans and some people say if you move abroad for 5 years you have your loan/ debt remove but I think both of those options are WAY too much fuss.

Also, I don't want to spend 3 years studying something if I suddenly have a epiphany and decide that actually the major isn't what I wanted to do- I would have wasted 3 years of my life and £20,000.

Whether this makes me smart or not I can't and wouldn't say but that's my opinion and I shall stick by it
username2130115
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
rubbish! most smart people want to earn a high salary. you need a university degree for high paying jobs such as working as physician, barrister, quant trader, quant dev, engineer and so on.
ron_trns
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mediageek123)
Okay well I'm not going to Uni merely because I don't see the point of taking out a student loan and always knowing you have to pay it back. If I want to go to Uni, I want to earn enough money, pay it and never have to worry about education fees again.

I know people talk about you have to earn so much money before you have to pay back student loans and some people say if you move abroad for 5 years you have your loan/ debt remove but I think both of those options are WAY too much fuss.

Also, I don't want to spend 3 years studying something if I suddenly have a epiphany and decide that actually the major isn't what I wanted to do- I would have wasted 3 years of my life and £20,000.

Whether this makes me smart or not I can't and wouldn't say but that's my opinion and I shall stick by it
That's wrong, you have to notify them if you move abroad and I was paying my living cost loan back whilst working abroad. They will send you letters if you don't. Anyway I largely agree with your statement, I got both my degree's (undergrad) free and MSc (part time scholarship). Otherwise I'd not have done them at all.
simbasdragon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Funnily enough, some of the wealthiest people I know don't have degrees. I don't think it's about being 'smart,' but some are just business minded and have the right personality to become very succesful in business.
username1799249
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Obstrepherous)
Smart people are millionaires by the time they're 21.
No. People who are motivated by and are good at making money. You don't necessarily have to be smart to make money. To suggest that only smart people make money discounts all those smart people who dedicate their time to music, art or study but don't really earn that much.

Would you say that the bankers who presided over the last recession were smart? I wouldn't. I would say they were greedy.
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by simbasdragon)
Funnily enough, some of the wealthiest people I know don't have degrees. I don't think it's about being 'smart,' but some are just business minded and have the right personality to become very succesful in business.
This. Many highly intelligent scientists are quite underpaid, especially if they work for the gov't
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends on the field

Posted from TSR Mobile
hannahc072
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
"Smart people don't go to university"??? If that were the case, you would be saying only ignorant people go to university - I for one have never met anyone who goes to university, who is... 'stupid'. 'Smart' people are the only ones who can get into university because they have to meet minimum grades.
People go because they are more passionate about learning about a particular subject area - I think that makes the pretty smart... The highest paying jobs, like a doctor, are only reached by doing a degree e.g. medicine which in my opinion is one of the hardest. Just to clarify, I don't think being wealthy makes you smart - in circumstances where you have done your learning and reached a high paying job, then yes your wealth may come from your intelligence - but some people who can't even be bothered with school end up rich becasue of their well-off parents. In that case it's a matter of 'luck'.
cherryred90s
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Well, what are you doing instead?
hannahc072
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by The_Internet)
This. Many highly intelligent scientists are quite underpaid, especially if they work for the gov't
"Many highly intelligent scientists" go to university.
username1494226
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Smart people take whatever opportunity they have determined will have a strong chance of being successful. Many intelligent people never needed university and many unintelligent people these days go to university. University is not the bastion of knowledge they make it out to be, not anymore. That's just a sales pitch to potential students because they want that student loan money. University works for some people(the actual intelligent ones who study a hard subject, sorry media studies students, you aint smart) but fails for many. It fails because of many reasons(didnt get the grades, studied something stupid like media studies, nothing special about them).
The_Internet
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hannahc072)
"Many highly intelligent scientists" go to university.
This is true too
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Go spend 5+ years saving up on 12k wage then.
callum_law
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ron_trns)
That's wrong, you have to notify them if you move abroad and I was paying my living cost loan back whilst working abroad. They will send you letters if you don't. Anyway I largely agree with your statement, I got both my degree's (undergrad) free and MSc (part time scholarship). Otherwise I'd not have done them at all.
And neither degree taught you how to use an apostrophe.
Joosofsucksess
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Student loans aren't a huge burden as you pay a manageable proportion of your salary per year. You pay faster if you earn more.
You may find it difficult to save up £27,000 +accomodation? (especially if you dont have a degree)

It probably wont take the whole 3 years for you to realise you're doing the wrong subject and you can often switch to a similar course. Also its your responsibility to do some research before apply so you know a bit about the subject and you're sure you want to study it.

I think university is money and time well spent as you will most definitely increase your knowledge and employability/potential salary. You also gain many important life skills and experiences and make friends for life.
mediageek123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cherryred90s)
Well, what are you doing instead?
I'm 6 months away from finishing a college course. I have several options available to me. I can either do another course at my college, continue taking freelance jobs in the TV/ Film buisness (another thing I'm doing currently when I get free time) or I can get a full time job at the main company I freelance at when a vacancy becomes available as I've been told they'd happily take me on.

I haven't chosen yet but I do at least know my options
MagicNMedicine
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is one of those things that people think is a cool hipster opinion without really believing it themselves.

If you are super driven, have a clear idea of a business plan, have finance in place and want to be an entrepreneur then go for it. But if you are just posting on an internet forum to have an alternative opinion to the mainstream then you have to do more research before deciding not to go.
driftawaay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by simbasdragon)
You forgot to mention that most of these people also have daddy's money
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (179)
55.94%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (44)
13.75%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (35)
10.94%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (30)
9.38%
I haven't started researching yet (18)
5.63%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
4.38%

Watched Threads