Failing second year Mechanical engineering

Watch this thread
livsmcc96
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So i'm in my second year of mechanical engineering degree, at first i loved it but now i'm in second year it's not what i expected at all, all of the maths involved and i expected it to be a lot more practical than it is. I have realised that i want to join the navy but i know my degree would be beneficial. The only problem is i've lost interest for my degree, i have no interest or motivation in it at all and i am more than likely going to fail all of my January exams. I wondered if i should fail this year and start a fresh with hopefully new found motivation, or accept this semester, do the resits and give myself the push i need for the remaining modules. The highest degree i will probably achieve is a 2:2 is this any more beneficial than not doing a degree in the first place? I know once i'm in a job a settled i will enjoy it but right now i'm the complete opposite. Any advice on what i should do?
Thanks x
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by livsmcc96)
So i'm in my second year of mechanical engineering degree, at first i loved it but now i'm in second year it's not what i expected at all, all of the maths involved and i expected it to be a lot more practical than it is. I have realised that i want to join the navy but i know my degree would be beneficial. The only problem is i've lost interest for my degree, i have no interest or motivation in it at all and i am more than likely going to fail all of my January exams. I wondered if i should fail this year and start a fresh with hopefully new found motivation, or accept this semester, do the resits and give myself the push i need for the remaining modules. The highest degree i will probably achieve is a 2:2 is this any more beneficial than not doing a degree in the first place? I know once i'm in a job a settled i will enjoy it but right now i'm the complete opposite. Any advice on what i should do?
Thanks x
I can tell you seem somewhat disheartened at the moment, but you don't know that you'll fail them until you sit them.

Lots of people find the maths and theory in engineering to be more than they expected, with the practical and actual application of the theory taking somewhat of a back seat. But once you're actually in an engineering job, it's different, and if this is something you're interested in then it's worth soldering on through the degree to get it.

And a 2:2 is much more valuable than no degree.
livsmcc96
Rep:
(Original post by Smack)
I can tell you seem somewhat disheartened at the moment, but you don't know that you'll fail them until you sit them.

Lots of people find the maths and theory in engineering to be more than they expected, with the practical and actual application of the theory taking somewhat of a back seat. But once you're actually in an engineering job, it's different, and if this is something you're interested in then it's worth soldering on through the degree to get it.

And a 2:2 is much more valuable than no degree.
Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah i haven't had the motivation over the holidays to revise so i'm more than likely going to fail, 2 out of the 3. I hadn't had much insight into the course before i applied, kind of a rash decision on my part but the theory side is horrendous.

I know some placements where they accept 2:2 so i'm hopefully going to apply to them, do a placement which may boost my motivation to do better third year.

It's just the thought of what if i had gone straight in to a job or done a different degree. Thanks for easing my mind about the 2:2 though
a10
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah i haven't had the motivation over the holidays to revise so i'm more than likely going to fail, 2 out of the 3. I hadn't had much insight into the course before i applied, kind of a rash decision on my part but the theory side is horrendous.

I know some placements where they accept 2:2 so i'm hopefully going to apply to them, do a placement which may boost my motivation to do better third year.

It's just the thought of what if i had gone straight in to a job or done a different degree. Thanks for easing my mind about the 2:2 though
Smack was spot on! Sometimes its just frustration which causes you to think you're not motivated (it's not an easy course) but I promise you stick with it and it will be worth it in the end!
livsmcc96
Rep:
(Original post by a10)
Smack was spot on! Sometimes its just frustration which causes you to think you're not motivated (it's not an easy course) but I promise you stick with it and it will be worth it in the end!
Yeah that's what i'm hoping to do, going to try and start a fresh now, forget about what's happened. Think it's also the frustration of learning what seems like another language and not fully grasping it. Hopefully i will manage to convince myself not to drop out and persevere on. Thank you
a10
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Yeah that's what i'm hoping to do, going to try and start a fresh now, forget about what's happened. Think it's also the frustration of learning what seems like another language and not fully grasping it. Hopefully i will manage to convince myself not to drop out and persevere on. Thank you
I know how you feel I went through it myself....

good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (91)
41.74%
They're exactly what I expected (52)