Measuring the rate of reaction Watch

etherealinsanity
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I'm doing a biology experiment based on photosynthesis. We're using different coloured filters and checking how long it takes to decolourise an extract of plant with DCPIP (so how long it takes to decolourise DCPIP). How would I measure the rate of reaction, if the only data I'll have is the time taken to decolourise DCPIP?
etherealinsanity
Rep:
?
Bump
Munumana
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You won't be able to measure the rate of reaction with only one variable.
themedicalgeek
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
you could try putting the extract with DCIP in solution and use colourimetry at various intervals to measure intensity of colour - rate = change of intensity reading/time. This might require some standard setting though -- its been a while since I have done a-level.
etherealinsanity
Rep:
?
(Original post by themedicalgeek)
you could try putting the extract with DCIP in solution and use colourimetry at various intervals to measure intensity of colour - rate = change of intensity reading/time. This might require some standard setting though -- its been a while since I have done a-level.
Thank you! I'll look into that.

I'm better at theory than I am at practicals, so this is kind of going over my head.
etherealinsanity
Rep:
?
When you say 'in solution', what type of solution would I be looking at?
themedicalgeek
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by etherealinsanity)
When you say 'in solution', what type of solution would I be looking at?
Possibly crush it up in water to get a solution. Im not sure if this approach would totally work though.
etherealinsanity
Rep:
?
Possibly crush it up in water to get a solution. Im not sure if this approach would totally work though.
I was planning on using cold isolation medium with algae or spinach leaves, or just crushing the plant material itself. I read something about bicarbonate something a while ago, so I was just confused.

Thank you for all you help.
tsrusernamestr
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
anyone know what the precautions would be for this experiment?
Laurasaur
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by etherealinsanity)
Hi, I'm doing a biology experiment based on photosynthesis. We're using different coloured filters and checking how long it takes to decolourise an extract of plant with DCPIP (so how long it takes to decolourise DCPIP). How would I measure the rate of reaction, if the only data I'll have is the time taken to decolourise DCPIP?
Rate is usually the change in concentration/ time, which in this case would be the intensity of colour/time which could be measured with a colorimeter. If you're talking about an OCR practical, they tell you that it's '1000/t', so you'd just calculate it from that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (147)
17.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.88%
No I am happy with my course choice (491)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.53%

Watched Threads