kings dental interview 2016

Watch this thread
cijones
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
hey I have an interview in mid Jan, has anyone had one yet?? how are people preparing for it??
Rahim93
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cijones)
hey I have an interview in mid Jan, has anyone had one yet?? how are people preparing for it??
Hi, I'm a 3rd year undergraduate dental student at King's College London. With regards to the MMI system I can only comment on my own experience as there may have been changes made to the system since when I had to do it, but after speaking with students in junior and senior years about their experience I highly doubt that is the case.

The structure is thoroughly explained to you on the day of your interview prior to starting. My interview was in Guy's hospital on one of the undergraduate treatment clinics. The interview is made up of 4 stations all in the same room and each station has a different interviewer. The interviewer at a station will ask you a few questions for 5 mins and on hearing a bell you are to get up and walk over to the next station (note while you are in one station there will also be 3 other students in the room being interviewed at the other stations) where you will be questioned for 5 mins more by a different interviewer. The questions will be as you would expect eg: Why dentistry?, Why King's? etc...

The interview lasts for 25 mins in total, this is because after having completed the 4th station you then have to walk back to the station you started at. Here your first interviewer tends to ask you questions regarding an ethical scenario (this scenario is given to you on the day of the interview and you are allowed to make notes on it prior to starting the process).The MMI system is nothing to worry about and I think I actually preferred it to a conventional interview. This is because if one of the stations doesn't go too well you have 4 more chances to impress. Also you can potentially repeat things between stations if appropriate. In my interview I found the interviewers to be very nice as they prompted me and gave me clues as to what I should say if I got stuck or if I started answering the wrong question ☺️.

With regards to preparing for it just write out answers for potential questions you could be asked and practice saying them out loud from memory, sometimes recording yourself and playing it back can help. Get friends, family or teachers to give you mock interviews. Don't try to speak too fast and which can make you breathless and thus harder to understand. Speak slowly and clearly and be confident because they obviously liked your application hence why you've been offered an interview. Also read up about recent advances in Dentistry and also maybe a bit about King's Dental Institute and King's College London in general. It may help if you've been to an open day.

I hope that helps and if you have anymore questions please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your future applications.
TSR778899
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cijones)
Im a year 12 student so will be applying to Kings this year and Im slightly worried about the interview process. If you could tell me how it goes I would appreciate it a lot.
Best of luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
21%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
12%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (6)
6%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (17)
17%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (23)
23%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed