The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Anyone got a rejection from Cambridge but an offer from Oxford or vice versa?

Just wanting to find out if any of you guys have previously had your Masters or PhD applications rejected from Cambridge but accepted at Oxford or the other way around.

It would be nice motivation to hear some actual instances of this happening! :smile:

Thank you all and good luck to all other Oxbridge applicants.
Reply 1
I thought you couldn't apply to both at the same time, you have to pick one to begin with
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by batoot
I thought you couldn't apply to both at the same time, you have to pick one to begin with

For graduate study you can apply to both institutions for as many courses as you like, provided you are happy to pay for it. :smile:
Reply 3
I'm applying to both. I'll tell you in three months. :biggrin:
Original post by omgwhat
For graduate study you can apply to both institutions for as many courses as you like, provided you are happy to pay for it. :smile:

Are students able to use Student finance loans for a post graduate degree yet?

Say for example someone has a BSc degree at 'X' university and they want to study for a MSci (1 year master course) at 'Y' university.

I heard that post graduate loans will be coming sometime soon in the future but not sure when :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by Josb
I'm applying to both. I'll tell you in three months. :biggrin:

Haha, in three months I'll know the answer too! :P Was hoping for some consolation now. *sobs*
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Are students able to use Student finance loans for a post graduate degree yet?

Say for example someone has a BSc degree at 'X' university and they want to study for a MSci (1 year master course) at 'Y' university.

I heard that post graduate loans will be coming sometime soon in the future but not sure when :s-smilie:

Better to ask this question in one of the finance-related threads, but short answer is 'don't know yet' - and the situation may have changed anyway by the time you're ready to apply
(edited 8 years ago)
I'll also know in a few months :s-smilie:

I'm applying to Cambridge for Part III and Oxford for their masters course in Mathematical and Theoretical Physics.

Hopefully I'll get offers from both, but Cambridge has always been my first choice :h:

Wish me luck! :redface:
(edited 8 years ago)
Offer from Cambridge and waitlisted by Oxford. Cambridge was my first choice so I'm happy. It would be nice to have an offer from Oxford.
Reply 9
Original post by Indeterminate
I'll also know in a few months :s-smilie:

I'm applying to Cambridge for Part III and Oxford for their masters course in Mathematical and Theoretical Physics.

Hopefully I'll get offers from both, but Cambridge has always been my first choice :h:

Wish me luck! :redface:

Good luck to you!

I applied to both and got rejected by Cambridge recently so I'm waiting for a response from Oxford - but it's a long wait since they typically notify applicants of the outcome in late March for my course. After my rejection, I was contacted by someone at Cambridge and was asked to apply to a different course so maybe there's still hope and they simply assumed that I'm suitable for something else! :P Who knows!
Reply 10
Original post by Aceadria
Offer from Cambridge and waitlisted by Oxford. Cambridge was my first choice so I'm happy. It would be nice to have an offer from Oxford.

Interesting - well if Cambridge was your first choice anyway it doesn't matter so much. :smile: Good luck!
Reply 11
Aw, that sucks. :frown: Good luck for this year though!
Original post by omgwhat
Good luck to you!

I applied to both and got rejected by Cambridge recently so I'm waiting for a response from Oxford - but it's a long wait since they typically notify applicants of the outcome in late March for my course. After my rejection, I was contacted by someone at Cambridge and was asked to apply to a different course so maybe there's still hope and they simply assumed that I'm suitable for something else! :P Who knows!

Likewise! All the best to everyone else who's applying to Oxbridge for postgraduate study this year, too! :biggrin:

The coming months are going to be quite tense for all of us, and we can only hope for the best :redface: I'd be quite happy to continue working should they both reject me, but this is something I really want to do :h:

Out of interest, what course have you applied for, and what do you make of the alternative that Cambridge have suggested? :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Indeterminate
Likewise! All the best to everyone else who's applying to Oxbridge for postgraduate study this year, too! :biggrin:

The coming months are going to be quite tense for all of us, and we can only hope for the best :redface: I'd be quite happy to continue working should they both reject me, but this is something I really want to do :h:

Out of interest, what course have you applied for, and what do you make of the alternative that Cambridge have suggested? :smile:

Definitely will be - I still check the self service page even though I am a 100% sure I won't get a response on a Sunday evening! :biggrin:

I applied for the MPhil in Modern European History and they suggested I reapply for the MPhil in World History as my proposed thesis is a little more appropriate for that. Who knows though, might still get rejected! I just can't be as hopeful as when I first applied because I've already been told no. :'( It sucked.

Where are you currently working? :smile:
Original post by omgwhat
Definitely will be - I still check the self service page even though I am a 100% sure I won't get a response on a Sunday evening! :biggrin:

I applied for the MPhil in Modern European History and they suggested I reapply for the MPhil in World History as my proposed thesis is a little more appropriate for that. Who knows though, might still get rejected! I just can't be as hopeful as when I first applied because I've already been told no. :'( It sucked.

Where are you currently working? :smile:

At the minute I'm working for a large retailer, doing work that is completely unrelated to my subject area :colondollar: This is what worried me because I think I'd eventually forget (to a great extent) the stuff that I've spent a long time learning :s-smilie:

Cool :biggrin: But surely they wouldn't reject you and then ask you to apply for a slightly different course if they felt that you'd be wasting your time? :confused: I'm sure you'll be fine! :smile:
Original post by Aceadria

Did you have an interview before being waitlisted?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending