The Student Room Group

I feel like I'm not academic enough?

zz
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
dw you can do really well in business + u can make a s**tton of money in that

(ngl engineering is hot af though)
It's going to be tough to argue that those (maybe English Literature and Spanish) are conventionally academic subjects. What you have to bear in mind is that being academic isn't everything, despite what seems to be the common belief on here. If it doesn't make you happy, then it's not going to lead to a fulfilling life.
Spanish and English lit are very academic. Not everyone does the maths and sciences. Out of those subjects the only non-academic one is Travel. I would say economics is more academic then business. But with those subjects you could do things like: Law ( A very popular degree.) Languages, something to do with finance and quite a lot more. But those are the most respected degrees. So lets say you wanted to do something more vocational like criminology you could easily.
economics would have been better than business and travel and tourism obviously isnt the most academic subject, but i think youre in a pretty good position to do a degree in something like law or maybe international business with spanish combined, those d be great degrees
Original post by derrickan
I do AS Business, Literature, Spanish and Travel and Tourism.
I feel really non academic because I don't have a Science or Math :frown:
I remember someone asked " who do you think is going to be the most successful?" and someone said a boy who does all the sciences and math. I feel like they also get a lot more recognized and feel superior.
I feel really inferior to them sometimes. I really wish I was academic and wanted to be an engineer or something but I just really don't fancy those things. I wish I was great at Math and Science etc.

Science and maths, at least at A2 level can be studied by anyone and a decent grade achieved as long as you put the work in for it. Note that it also needs to be efficient work, revising for hours on end is useless if nothing goes in. Find a revision method that works for you.

As you are still in school then it might be a good idea to take AS-level maths next year. If you GCSE in maths was poor or the school won't allow it, don't worry too much. You can apply for science/engineering foundation years. If you get good A-levels you'll be able to take your pick on most foundation years at good universities, Durham, Soton, Queen Mary are a few I can think of off the top of my head. You can also transfer via UCAS to a different uni after the Year0. This also means that if you finish the Year0 and decide you don't like science/engineering as much as you thought you wanted to do it, you can still switch to something like finance or economics etc etc

However before then, ie in the next year and a half, it is a good idea for you to find out if that is a path you would want to go down. For example you could pick up a Raspberry Pi for like £50 and learn how to programme over the summer time for fun, maybe you'd enjoy computer science (which isn't too maths heavy) or electronic engineering(which has a lot of maths). Maybe you'd prefer life sciences, like marine biology, genetics or even apply for medicine through a medicine foundation year (which usually requires good gcses still).

Find out what it is you want to do, then do it. Don't go to uni at all until you know. There are lots of options you can take. Personally, I believe if you put in the effort you can do whatever subjects you want.
those are very academic a levels u are taking ...don't worry about what others think

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest