I'm not sure if I want to go to university..

Watch
LillyLisaa
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I wanted to apply to just one university but my tutor has told me to apply to more and now I'm not sure if I want to go to any.. The thing is all what I know is that I want to work with children and depending on what I decide to do in that area it might not even be worth the three years spent at university and the debt that will follow it.
I really don't know what I should do right now but I am thinking of applying to university but also applying for jobs/apprenticeships in case I don't get in/decide I don't want to go. It's just that it's three years of my life and it's also a lot of money if it's not something I end up liking or needing..
But the other thing is is that I am going to be 20 at the end of the month so if I did of the working gap year thing and then decided to reapply I would be starting university at 21/22 which could be weird.. I really don't know what to do.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LillyLisaa)
I wanted to apply to just one university but my tutor has told me to apply to more and now I'm not sure if I want to go to any.. The thing is all what I know is that I want to work with children and depending on what I decide to do in that area it might not even be worth the three years spent at university and the debt that will follow it.
I really don't know what I should do right now but I am thinking of applying to university but also applying for jobs/apprenticeships in case I don't get in/decide I don't want to go. It's just that it's three years of my life and it's also a lot of money if it's not something I end up liking or needing..
But the other thing is is that I am going to be 20 at the end of the month so if I did of the working gap year thing and then decided to reapply I would be starting university at 21/22 which could be weird.. I really don't know what to do.
22 is not that old so I wouldn't worry about taking a gap year there's many different fields out there that involve working with children so explore all your options before you decide to apply to something
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd say have a look into the possible jobs you could want and what's require to get in. From what I remember when my friend was applying for work in childcare you would almost always need to be qualified or have worked as a nanny (which in itself was difficult to get into). Then there's the other routes of teaching and paediatric nursing which will definitely require a degree.
BoriniLFC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The age thing isn't a big deal, 21/22 isn't old, I started then too.

Quite a few people take gap years and are 19/20
gundog48
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I went in with similar opinions and am currently looking for a job and plan to drop out as soon as something comes up. Make sure you go for something that will put you in the direction of where you want to be though!

My experience might be different to yours however. I've felt totally unmotivated and unfulfilled despite doing well, I just don't know if all this work is really for anything, and I really dislike university ethos, it's been a ridiculously light workload, they've wasted so much of my time and they're all so laid back about it. I keep thinking "they could have easily have made this a 2 year course and saved me £9K and a year of my life". Those bits, you might experience. But I'm a bit jaded because on top of that my uni has been completely incompetent, constantly unprepared and haven't delivered what they promised. Thankfully they're discontinuing our course so no other poor souls are going to have to be ripped off!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.93%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.29%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.08%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.88%

Watched Threads