Food science- what is the difference between dietetic and nutrition?

Watch this thread
coconut64
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I am interested in doing food science at uni. There are two types of degree offered, one is dietetic and the other one is nutrition. What is the difference between the two courses? Also what is it like to do food science at Uni? Anyone mind sharing their thoughts? Thanks...
AmyPilot
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by coconut64)
Hi, I am interested in doing food science at uni. There are two types of degree offered, one is dietetic and the other one is nutrition. What is the difference between the two courses? Also what is it like to do food science at Uni? Anyone mind sharing their thoughts? Thanks...
Not an expert by any means as this is not my area of study but reckon the difference you need to look for is whether the course qualifies you to register with the Healthcare Council which you will need to work in the nhs as a dietician (maybe?) and is important for nhs funding purposes.

Sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon
kvb9916
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hey

Basically Dietetics is very similar to nutrition however, doing dietetic qualities you to become a certified dietitian who works more on the clinical side, however this does not stop you from working in industry.

Nutrition on the other hand only allows you to work in industry and does not allow you to work for the NHS on the clinical side of things

Hope it helps
coconut64
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by kvb9916)
Hey

Basically Dietetics is very similar to nutrition however, doing dietetic qualities you to become a certified dietitian who works more on the clinical side, however this does not stop you from working in industry.

Nutrition on the other hand only allows you to work in industry and does not allow you to work for the NHS on the clinical side of things

Hope it helps
Hi thanks for the reoly. Mind if i ask you if you are doing food science at uni?
kvb9916
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by coconut64)
Hi thanks for the reoly. Mind if i ask you if you are doing food science at uni?
I'm currently in Y12 hoping to study dietetics at uni. I asked my food tech teacher a while back about the difference
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.58%
As I expected (24)
30.38%
Harder (29)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.33%

Watched Threads