The Student Room Group

Good enough to become a lawyer?

Hello

I'm a second year Modern Languages student hoping to take the GDL and LPC after graduating but I'm not sure I'm good enough to make it as a lawyer in the City. Law is incredibly competitive and while I have some things going in my favour, there may be other things seriously holding back my application.

Cons:

- I left university the first time round (started 2012) and took a year out afterwards to work. I went to a red-brick but did not like the teaching. Currently, I'm not at a red-brick but it's still a good uni and just under Oxbridge for modern languages (uni of Leicester - I started in 2014)

- I only have 320 UCAS points because one of my papers was badly marked at college, along with several other people in my class. My teacher said I should have received an A and she helped me appeal, but AQA refused to change the grade. I got full marks in my AS English Literature exam, and to go from that to a B in A2 is painful :frown:

Pros:

- I'm a polyglot; I speak 6 languages at different levels (advanced or proficient in 4 of them)

- This year I'm trying to show my commitment to a legal career through work experience. I've already applied to the Citizens Advice Bureau, they should get back to me within the next two weeks.

- This summer I'm looking to teach abroad in China (I speak some Chinese) for some extra non-legal work experience

- I'm expected to graduate with a high 2:1 or a first; I got mostly firsts in my assignments this year

- As I'm unable to do the Erasmus year abroad, I'm doing two placements instead in the summer of my final year. So by the end of my degree I will have work experience in three different countries.

- I volunteer at Oxfam as part of the Leicester Award

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by J-SP
What are your extra curriculars like beyond the volunteering at oxfam?

What is your work experience like (any work experience - part time work, volunteering, holiday work etc)?

Nothing you have said so far has made me think you wouldn't be in with a good shout. But there's a lot more to a good applicant than grades, but yours sound more than adequate anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have been trying to get a part-time job but without success which is another reason why I took up volunteering at Oxfam - I wanted some more experience. It's tricky though as my Chinese classes run on a Saturday :/ so I have to find something on my free weekdays.
Reply 2
Original post by J-SP
Any holiday work? Work experience while at school? What did you do before uni or between swapping courses?

Firms tend to like candidates who keep themselves busy. The Oxfam work and CAB stuff will help, but they will want to see what else you are doing. A lot of firms focus quite heavily on extra curriculars - they like to see people who take on responsibility and commit to that responsibility.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In between leaving uni and joining this one I did some several work experiences and was at Claire's Accessories for several months.

My summer was spent in the south of France on a compulsory three-week summer school to study French. The rest was spent job-hunting and preparing for second year modules.

I think for a non-law student a lot of my legal experience will come next year, but I still want to stand out in my second year through other non-legal work experience or activities. So far, I feel that language-learning is all I have.
So far it does sound like you stand a fairly good chance of studying law. however, I would strongly recommend gaining as much work experience as you can because it is a tough degree so you need to really want it and be committed.
Reply 4
A lot of law firms have an AAB minimum to apply and the fact that my paper was badly marked is holding me back. Should I consider applying anyway in the hope that good work experience will set me apart?
Reply 5
Original post by J-SP
If you got 340 UCAS points you have the equivalent of AAB so you don't have to worry about it at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

AAB is 320 I thought?
Original post by danii_b
Hello

I'm a second year Modern Languages student hoping to take the GDL and LPC after graduating but I'm not sure I'm good enough to make it as a lawyer in the City. Law is incredibly competitive and while I have some things going in my favour, there may be other things seriously holding back my application.

Cons:

- I left university the first time round (started 2012) and took a year out afterwards to work. I went to a red-brick but did not like the teaching. Currently, I'm not at a red-brick but it's still a good uni and just under Oxbridge for modern languages (uni of Leicester - I started in 2014)

- I only have 320 UCAS points because one of my papers was badly marked at college, along with several other people in my class. My teacher said I should have received an A and she helped me appeal, but AQA refused to change the grade. I got full marks in my AS English Literature exam, and to go from that to a B in A2 is painful :frown:

Pros:

- I'm a polyglot; I speak 6 languages at different levels (advanced or proficient in 4 of them)

- This year I'm trying to show my commitment to a legal career through work experience. I've already applied to the Citizens Advice Bureau, they should get back to me within the next two weeks.

- This summer I'm looking to teach abroad in China (I speak some Chinese) for some extra non-legal work experience

- I'm expected to graduate with a high 2:1 or a first; I got mostly firsts in my assignments this year

- As I'm unable to do the Erasmus year abroad, I'm doing two placements instead in the summer of my final year. So by the end of my degree I will have work experience in three different countries.

- I volunteer at Oxfam as part of the Leicester Award

Spoiler

Your languages are likely to make you very valuable - if you have the rest of the package.

Your grades sound okay. You should gain as much extra-curricular experience as possible, focusing on roles which will demonstrate the competencies your target firms look for.
Hey there, its Amanda at BCU. I just wanted to share our graduate Emma's advice with you - she's given some of her tips of how she managed to get ahead in law, so this might be helpful! See www.bcu.ac.uk/how-to/emma

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending