The Student Room Group

Studying Medicine Abroad!

At GCSE, I got 2A*s (RS and English Lit), 6As (Maths, statistics, German, history, further science & ICT), and 4 Bs (core and additional science, Art & English lang). I'm taking Biology, Chemistry and German at A-Level and I am in Year 12 currently.

I know I will be seriously disadvantaged if I apply to UK universities for medicine, because it seems like everyone else has like 10 A*s, or something amazing like that. I've seen online that it's easier to get accepted to universities that are abroad, and I'm particularly interested in Germany, Austria or Switzerland (America or Canada too, but I don't think I have enough extra curriculars for them :P).

The UK universities that I'm interested in are Durham, Bristol (gateway/foundation course) and Exeter (medical sciences course, that will hopefully lead onto medicine).

Original post by MiracleLeaf
At GCSE, I got 2A*s (RS and English Lit), 6As (Maths, statistics, German, history, further science & ICT), and 4 Bs (core and additional science, Art & English lang). I'm taking Biology, Chemistry and German at A-Level and I am in Year 12 currently.

I know I will be seriously disadvantaged if I apply to UK universities for medicine, because it seems like everyone else has like 10 A*s, or something amazing like that. I've seen online that it's easier to get accepted to universities that are abroad, and I'm particularly interested in Germany, Austria or Switzerland (America or Canada too, but I don't think I have enough extra curriculars for them :P).

The UK universities that I'm interested in are Durham, Bristol (gateway/foundation course) and Exeter (medical sciences course, that will hopefully lead onto medicine).

Are you fluent in German or French? As far as I know, those European countries don't teach Medicine in English. And Medicine is a postgraduate degree in America (and would cost you hundreds of thousands of pounds).

You will not be seriously disadvantaged applying to medicine here. TSR is skewed, most applicants certainly don't have such a high number of A*s. There are plenty of places that you can still apply. Focus on getting great A-level grades and UKCAT and you've still got a good shot. Don't rule yourself out before you've even started.
Original post by ForestCat
Are you fluent in German or French? As far as I know, those European countries don't teach Medicine in English. And Medicine is a postgraduate degree in America (and would cost you hundreds of thousands of pounds).

You will not be seriously disadvantaged applying to medicine here. TSR is skewed, most applicants certainly don't have such a high number of A*s. There are plenty of places that you can still apply. Focus on getting great A-level grades and UKCAT and you've still got a good shot. Don't rule yourself out before you've even started.

Which universities would I be good for?
Which universities would I be good for?

As every university (bar Bristol) now require UKCAT or BMAT, no one can advise you until you've sat the UKCAT. My point was mainly not to give up on UK schools so easily.
I got similar gcses to you and I got an offer

As above, focus on your ukcat/bmat

For most places, you only need to meet their minimum gcse requirements
Original post by ForestCat
As every university (bar Bristol) now require UKCAT or BMAT, no one can advise you until you've sat the UKCAT. My point was mainly not to give up on UK schools so easily.

Okay, but, based on my GCSEs, which ones?
Okay, but, based on my GCSEs, which ones?

Research them yourself

They change requirements each year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending