BeHappyyy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi in 13 (Year nine) in the UK and I want to take Cantonese for GCSE. My family is Chinese and we speak Cantonese at home so I can speak it very fluently/well and I can understand/listen to it very fluently/well too. I can also read Chinese characters quite well (I learnt it from watching dramas and movies). However, I can't really write it...
I can write a little bit, but only literally a LITTLE bit...
I don't know if I will be able to take it for GCSE...
By the way, I'm choosing my options in March so I'm not sure if I'll have enough time...
I think I will be ok for the reading, listening and speaking part of the exam, it's just the writing I'm weak on.
Any help?
Thanks
Gogregg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You'll definitely be able to do it at GCSE, because you will be taught how to write it, but I don't think it will be all that vigorous.

I'd suggest doing a different GCSE and just getting your family to teach you how to write it, then maybe do the A-Level early? But you don't really have anything to gain (in terms of recognition) by doing a qualification in a language you're already fluent in.

Although, saying that, if you want to do it, go for it!
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by BeHappyyy)
Hi in 13 (Year nine) in the UK and I want to take Cantonese for GCSE. My family is Chinese and we speak Cantonese at home so I can speak it very fluently/well and I can understand/listen to it very fluently/well too. I can also read Chinese characters quite well (I learnt it from watching dramas and movies). However, I can't really write it...
I can write a little bit, but only literally a LITTLE bit...
I don't know if I will be able to take it for GCSE...
Here's the page with all the details on GCSE http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...nese-2009.html, have a look at what's required for writing.

If you're intending to take it without lessons at at school you can take it when ever you're ready - Year 9, 10, 11 or later.
BeHappyyy
Rep:
?
Thanks so much! This really helps a lot! Yeh, I think I might take it for GCSE but do the exam in year 11 so ill still have 1 and a half year to practise chinese characters which is more than enough time! My parents are going to email my school tomorrow and tell them about it, so instead of German lessons ill be doing self study in the library! 😄😄
BeHappyyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gogregg)
You'll definitely be able to do it at GCSE, because you will be taught how to write it, but I don't think it will be all that vigorous.

I'd suggest doing a different GCSE and just getting your family to teach you how to write it, then maybe do the A-Level early? But you don't really have anything to gain (in terms of recognition) by doing a qualification in a language you're already fluent in.

Although, saying that, if you want to do it, go for it!
Thanks for your support!! 🐱🐱
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.34%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (25)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.64%

Watched Threads