2 (or more) student accounts (THINK Campaign Move)

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Leeroy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Can you open more than one student account and recieve the various benefits without other banks knowing??
presebjenada
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
doubt it, youll have the bailiffs round!
bhp
Report 16 years ago
ure not exactly allowed to open two, they can check and then terminate your account and take away any benefits.
thats why they tempt you with fairly good offers because they know if they get you on board now, you will most likely end up with them for life!!
choose wisely
lgs98jonee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well surely u could do it at two different banks
Leeroy
Rep:
?
my mate opened a student account and savings account with natwest, nipped across the road to HSBC and opened a student account, they said he had to close a natwest account down, he went back across the road, got a closing statement on his savings account, went back to hsbc and proceeded to open his second student account....

just wondered if that was above board lol
Kalypso
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lgs98jonee)
well surely u could do it at two different banks
some banks will have it in their terms and conditions that your loan needs to be paid into the account in order for you to qualify for all the student incentives.
Leeroy
Rep:
?
or could you just open 2 and say you dont have another - could they check?

also, can u open a student account and have the benefits, then close it again soon after?
chats
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Here Is The Thread
Leeroy
Rep:
?
why?
what the hell was the point in moving it.

its not exclusively university chat
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Good question, they surely can't take your railcard off you. Open a HSBC account, get your railcard, close it, open another account get your free phone, etc etc.
Leeroy
Rep:
?
(Original post by fishpaste)
Good question, they surely can't take your railcard off you. Open a HSBC account, get your railcard, close it, open another account get your free phone, etc etc.
sounds like a plan, that was the main thing cos im already with natwest and my loans going in there and everything, but a 5 year rail car would be really useful, especially for london
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Leeroy)
Can you open more than one student account and recieve the various benefits without other banks knowing??
Yes, but it might not be worth it. To most students the interest free £1000 or so overdraft is likely to be much more valuable than any of the freebies which are only going to be around £50 maximum. I don't think it would really be a problem if banks found out you had two accounts, they'd probably just remove your overdraft or make you close the other account. However it may not be a good idea to annoy the banks. Chances are you're going to need them in the future for loans / mortgages and things and you might not want to get on their bad side just in case they refuse services to you in the future - though whether this has ever happened I don't know.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (116)
25.89%
Better than expected (92)
20.54%
Worse than expected (240)
53.57%

Watched Threads