The Student Room Group

Who else works in Student Unions?

Hi all!

I'm currently working in a SU in the Student Development department. My key area is volunteering and finding opportunities for students to get involved. I ended up working in this area as I was very involved in the union when I was at uni, although I was never a Student Sabb Officer.

I thought this could be good to chat/rant :wink: and also help anyone who's interested in a career in Universities and Student Unions.

:h:
I think the big question for me is why? You see a lot of people say run for sabb positions, but what made you want to get involved with behind the scenes? :smile:

(Note, I don't want to change my job but seeing why people do it)
I once worked in the SU as the Equality and Diversity Officer.

It was great fun, all we really did was plan the rigorous social calendar. Since we were banned from the NUS we never really had to involve ourselves with any politics. We got free jumpers and free access to the one and only local club, that is enough incentive, along with getting to meet all the bands and DJs who visited the SU bar.

That is what SUs should be about in my opinion ran by the students in the best interests of the students and what do most students want to do? Party and have fun.
None of this political nonsense getting in the national media for "no platforming" speakers or what ever other scandals we have seen SUs and the NUS involved in over the past few years. The only things we ever got into the local papers for was noise complaints. That comes with the territory and throwing 4 open air balls a year.
I work in an SU.

I project manage elections, run democratic stuff, develop policy proposals, do training, organise campaigns and manage external stakeholder relationships such as the police, local government etc.

Kind of fell into the job when I got rejected from a bunch of NGOs after interview.
Original post by -=|Jay|=-
I work in an SU.

I project manage elections, run democratic stuff, develop policy proposals, do training, organise campaigns and manage external stakeholder relationships such as the police, local government etc.

Kind of fell into the job when I got rejected from a bunch of NGOs after interview.

I kind of fell into the job too as I didn't know where to go after deciding not to pursue law lol. I think it was a case of right time (kind of) right place :h:

Original post by DiddyDec
I once worked in the SU as the Equality and Diversity Officer.

It was great fun, all we really did was plan the rigorous social calendar. Since we were banned from the NUS we never really had to involve ourselves with any politics. We got free jumpers and free access to the one and only local club, that is enough incentive, along with getting to meet all the bands and DJs who visited the SU bar.

That is what SUs should be about in my opinion ran by the students in the best interests of the students and what do most students want to do? Party and have fun.
None of this political nonsense getting in the national media for "no platforming" speakers or what ever other scandals we have seen SUs and the NUS involved in over the past few years. The only things we ever got into the local papers for was noise complaints. That comes with the territory and throwing 4 open air balls a year.

Yea that's fair, we're not a part of NUS either, so we aren't involved in that side. We definitely have a decent social side but I think it depends on the demographic of the uni, as ours definitely aren't all into partying all the time :smile:
Original post by Slowbro93
I think the big question for me is why? You see a lot of people say run for sabb positions, but what made you want to get involved with behind the scenes? :smile:

(Note, I don't want to change my job but seeing why people do it)

Well I was so involved in my SU when I was at uni, but more the sport side so I had been on tons of committees. Then when I finished my law degree I didn't want to be a lawyer so had to reshape what I was going to do and where my experience lay, so I just fell into unions :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending