The Student Room Group

This country has nothing to offer - where should I move to for better opportunities?

Rents are ridiculously high and rising more and more; everything is getting more expensive yet wages aren't rising in line with it; getting a mortgage to avoid obscene rents is nigh on impossible for the majority; unemployment is still high and those who have jobs are overworked and underpaid.

Which country can I move to where the unemployment situation is better and the prospect of buying a house or renting somewhere at a reasonable price is more achievable?

This country is a wasteland for the young.

Scroll to see replies

The UK is overrated. Why not try the Scandinavian countries?
I don't get it, why does everyone want to buy a house?
Reply 3
Original post by Mayhem™
I don't get it, why does everyone want to buy a house?

When you're older you'll understand.
Original post by justag
When you're older you'll understand.

Perhaps :sexface:
Reply 5
Original post by justag
Rents are ridiculously high and rising more and more; everything is getting more expensive yet wages aren't rising in line with it; getting a mortgage to avoid obscene rents is nigh on impossible for the majority; unemployment is still high and those who have jobs are overworked and underpaid.

Which country can I move to where the unemployment situation is better and the prospect of buying a house or renting somewhere at a reasonable price is more achievable?

Depends how far your willing to go, Canada has good prospects.
Reply 6
Micronesia
Most European countries have shorter working hours, place far more emphasis on work life balance than the long hours/low productivity the dominates British businesses, and cheaper house prices. E.g. Berlin, a city I believe is far superior to London, has rental prices around 2/3 that of London.
Reply 8
It's what you make of it.
Reply 9
Original post by Kane-10
It's what you make of it.

Would be easier if rents were affordable - a fairly fundamental right. I'm not talking about making uber-bucks or doing a high flying job, just being able to pay for food and a roof over your head with a regular job. Not much to ask really.
Perhaps the problem is your mentality.

"This country has nothing to offer".

What do you have to offer? Are you skilled? qualified? are you experienced in a particular profession or trade?

If you have something to offer you will find most countries have something to offer.
If you don't and aren't willing to work for it but just want to be able to get on the housing ladder young, get a well paid job etc you are going to be disappointed. You are also going to be disappointed if you try and move elsewhere. You can move to the EU but do you speak their languages? Unemployment is lower in the UK than most other EU countries and in Western Europe the cost of living is also high. If you want to go to the US you will find it difficult to get a work permit. Canada, New Zealand and Australia offer good lifestyle (although wages generally lower than the UK) but again apart from going on a 'working holiday' its hard to get there from the UK unless you have a professional qualification or a number of years work experience.
Reply 11
Original post by justag
Would be easier if rents were affordable - a fairly fundamental right. I'm not talking about making uber-bucks or doing a high flying job, just being able to pay for food and a roof over your head with a regular job. Not much to ask really.

You can do that. Most people do that.
Reply 12
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Perhaps the problem is your mentality.

"This country has nothing to offer".

What do you have to offer? Are you skilled? qualified? are you experienced in a particular profession or trade?

If you have something to offer you will find most countries have something to offer.
If you don't and aren't willing to work for it but just want to be able to get on the housing ladder young, get a well paid job etc you are going to be disappointed. You are also going to be disappointed if you try and move elsewhere. You can move to the EU but do you speak their languages? Unemployment is lower in the UK than most other EU countries and in Western Europe the cost of living is also high. If you want to go to the US you will find it difficult to get a work permit. Canada, New Zealand and Australia offer good lifestyle (although wages generally lower than the UK) but again apart from going on a 'working holiday' its hard to get there from the UK unless you have a professional qualification or a number of years work experience.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/oct/30/britains-youth-at-risk-of-being-lost-generation-warns-equality-report

It's not my mentality. It's fact; our generation have it worse off than previous generations when they were our age.

I speak foreign languages and have a good job. But that's still not enough to ensure a future these days.
Original post by justag
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/oct/30/britains-youth-at-risk-of-being-lost-generation-warns-equality-report

It's not my mentality. It's fact; our generation have it worse off than previous generations when they were our age.

I speak foreign languages and have a good job. But that's still not enough to ensure a future these days.

What languages do you speak? To be honest if you're looking to get married and have a family then you are more likely going to have it tough in the future than if you were single. If you have a £20,000 job and are single then I don't see the problem. £20,000 annually is sufficient for an individual who rents a house.
Reply 14
Original post by Gnomes&Knights
What languages do you speak? To be honest if you're looking to get married and have a family then you are more likely going to have it tough in the future than if you were single. If you have a £20,000 job and are single then I don't see the problem. £20,000 annually is sufficient for an individual who rents a house.

No it's definitely not enough - especially to rent a whole house let alone a single room. Plus, with the rental laws as terrible as they are in this country, I don't want to spend my life renting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Netherlands, Germany and Scandinavian countries only issue is you have to speak the language to get ahead.
Original post by _icecream
Netherlands, Germany and Scandinavian countries only issue is you have to speak the language to get ahead.

Woah, woah, woah, the Nordic countries have a huge problem with depression. Iceland and Finland have very high depression rates and the Danish are lying when they say they're the happiest people in the world, because, according to psychologists, if everyone around you is sad, you perceive yourself to be happier, but if you're surrounded by happy people, you perceive yourself to be sadder.

Also, Finland has the third-highest rate of gun ownership behind the USA and Yemen.

Furthermore, Sweden has a higher rate of youth unemployment than the EU average and the UK, probably not what the OP is looking for. I don't see them as better than the UK.
Go to Africa and work for an NGO. You'll be making more money than you ever imagined
Original post by justag

Just follow your heart
Original post by Gnomes&Knights

No it isn't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending