Struggling with A2 Psychology - Essentially non-existant teachers and confusing conte Watch

Nisr123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
After a remark of each paper, I managed to scrape an A in AS AQA Psychology (which I am surprised to say as I, along with everyone else, found the paper easy and was expecting higher). I am therefore predicted an A in A2, which was accompanied with warnings that the A2 content is way more difficult and would require a lot of hard work.

I brushed this aside as I knew everything would be more difficult but I was prepared to handle it, but now the Christmas holidays are over and I still don't feel on top of things, I am starting to really stress out.

My other subjects, Biology and Chemistry, are still difficult but I feel as if I am able to manage them as I am interested in them (applied to do Biochem in uni) and have found ways to study and revise them that suits me and has proven effective.But with psychology, it seems like I am stuck.

I have new teachers this year which are utterly terrible and useless. I cannot complain about them because one is the head of dept and everyone else seems to love him and is able to handle his units, whereas the other, everyone admits is beyond hopeless but are seeming to miraculously scrape by sometimes?

I have tried approaching them for help when I struggle with something such as not being able to differentiate between AO1 and AO2 in the biological explanations for Schizophrenia - (both are research studies and there is no theory when writing about twins studies and stuff - i dont get it???)

I have purchased Loopa's books with essays, which I thought I could use to help me but I am getting confused because I don't understand the essays without any previous knowledge at all from lessons, which means I won't be able to memorise them as well.

The fact that I literally could not give a sh** about Psychology anymore also contributes to this. I have 0 motivation, which my depression contributes to, and I actually dont know what to do.

Any advice or help? Is anyone willing to tutor me or something for free?

I will literally owe them my life because all I need or want is an A so I can let go of Psych and A levels and just go uni and be happy.
ilovelearningnot
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi im sorry, I cant help you but I hope you'll find your resolution soon and dont give up!

I was wondering if you could help me? my Psych mock is on tuesday and if you have any revision notes or mnemonics to remember case studies or anything like that you can give me that would be super amazing!! i need to get an a or above because i want to be a psychologist!! xx
Findlay6
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
AO1 is factual information.
AO2 is your application of that information EG to a study, or how it's used in real life situation.
AO3 is an evaluation of the above - Criticise the study findings and the methodology involved. EG the sample size, gender bias, too deterministic, not representational, cultural bias, laboratory study isn't reliable, subjective/objective. It's outdated. It can't explain/support the biological/psychodynamic theories.

As it's a twin study, you need to criticise the methodology and results of the study. Is everyone in the world a twin? No, so it's not representational - how many twins were involved? (Criticise sample size/gender/use of MZ/DZ twins) Western country or Eastern? (Cultural bias, criticise, not representational) Longitudinal study? (How many dropped out?) Were the concordance rates 100%? no, so it's not very reliable. It's difficult for parents to treat each twin the same over a long period of time, and environmental (behavioural approach) would get involved. Twin studies are part of the biological approach, so would they provide enough evidence to support behavioural/psychodynamic/cognitive/humanistic approaches? Or can they explain neurotransmitters?

A good textbook should be able to explain the AO in more depth and help you grasp them throughout and looking over the Research Methods topic is ideal for helping you with AO3 - once you have a general idea AO3 it's applicable to anything.

Finally, the AQA website has everything you need to know about your course. (Teachers use this too as it has everything they need to teach ) There's past papers on there with mark schemes and a specification which will include your AO explanations and exactly what examiners are looking for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Liverpool
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (263)
31.92%
The paper was reasonable (405)
49.15%
Not feeling great about that exam... (92)
11.17%
It was TERRIBLE (64)
7.77%

Watched Threads