tolulah
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys! I'm 14 (15 soon), I'm currently in Year 10, and studying for my GCSEs. I'm really interested in science and hope to pursue it at university/in my future career (particularly chemistry), but I feel like my school doesn't really go any further than the basic curriculum - which kind of sucks. At my old school, I did loads of chemistry/physics competitions and they actually made an effort to support the kids who were interested in science. (it was a private school).

Anyway, I've been searching on the internet for some summer/school holidays programs/course that I can do to further my science skills and generally expand my knowledge - but most of the ones that I've found are either way too expensive (eg. Oxford Royale) or you have to be older to do them (eg. UNIQ). So has anyone attended any science programs/courses here? If so, when, where, how much was it (if applicable) and how was it?

Thank you so much!
tolulah
Rep:
?
Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile
tolulah
Rep:
?
Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile
tolulah
Rep:
?
PLS REPLY

Posted from TSR Mobile
iwishicouldfly14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tolulah)
Hi guys! I'm 14 (15 soon), I'm currently in Year 10, and studying for my GCSEs. I'm really interested in science and hope to pursue it at university/in my future career (particularly chemistry), but I feel like my school doesn't really go any further than the basic curriculum - which kind of sucks. At my old school, I did loads of chemistry/physics competitions and they actually made an effort to support the kids who were interested in science. (it was a private school).

Anyway, I've been searching on the internet for some summer/school holidays programs/course that I can do to further my science skills and generally expand my knowledge - but most of the ones that I've found are either way too expensive (eg. Oxford Royale) or you have to be older to do them (eg. UNIQ). So has anyone attended any science programs/courses here? If so, when, where, how much was it (if applicable) and how was it?

Thank you so much!
I haven't seen any that aren't ridiculously expensive - It's crazy!
See if your science teacher/s know of any that are good and cheap....
There is one for Year 12 that is free (I think) at one of the universities so you could do that in a couple of years (so not much help).

Just as a general extra-curricular side - Many universities offer free public lectures that you might find interesting - UCL (I think? - and I don't know if you live in London or not,) offer special ones for secondary school pupils.

I'm sorry this wasn't much help and I hope you end up finding something!
Laurasaur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tolulah)
I'm currently in Year 10, I'm really interested in science (particularly chemistry)

I've been searching on the internet for some summer/school holidays programs/course that I can do to further my science skills and generally expand my knowledge - but most are either way too expensive or you have to be older to do them. So has anyone attended any science programs/courses here? If so, when, where, how much was it (if applicable) and how was it?

Thank you so much!
(Any age, free) MOOCs? (I did 3 of these, all of them were real eye-openers and gave me loads of wider understanding). They're just online courses, so not as interactive as a placement, but you'll learn heaps of information!

You could try gaining some contacts and asking if you could work in their lab for work experience (any age, free). My friend worked with boyfriend's mum for a day in the fertility clinic, for example, because she wanted to do biomedical science.

Also, some of your local universities (year 10/11/12) might offer some courses for free, like the uni of Bath did a "Bath on track" course where you had to research something and write about it. I think it was free.

I once did a veterinary course at Bristol uni in year 11 for about £15, but I decided that vet med wasn't for me, but I gained a valuable insight so it was still useful. There were a couple of year 10s there too, and a lot of year 12s.

A local hospital (year 11/12) ran a 3-day course for those interested in various medical careers (including medicine, physio, midwifery, healthcare science, biomedical science, pathology etc). I then decided I didn't want to do medicine anymore, but it was a very interesting experience.

(Year 12) Nuffield or in2science placements over the summer? (I applied, but didn't get in, someone I know did and he really loved it).
(Any age for the online challenges, year 12 for the paper) Cambridge chemistry challenge? (I did the online course and the paper after my year 12 exams, it makes A level chemistry easier).
(year 12) Olympiads for chemistry/physics/biology (haven't done any, but I hear good things).

Keep searching, find something local if you can. You don't have as many options at your age because most people don't know what they want to do yet. You can still do work experience, but most of the stuff is aimed at year 12s because they have to apply to uni the following year, so it's more useful for them.
tolulah
Rep:
?
(Original post by Laurasaur)
(Any age, free) MOOCs? (I did 3 of these, all of them were real eye-openers and gave me loads of wider understanding). They're just online courses, so not as interactive as a placement, but you'll learn heaps of information!

You could try gaining some contacts and asking if you could work in their lab for work experience (any age, free). My friend worked with boyfriend's mum for a day in the fertility clinic, for example, because she wanted to do biomedical science.

Also, some of your local universities (year 10/11/12) might offer some courses for free, like the uni of Bath did a "Bath on track" course where you had to research something and write about it. I think it was free.

I once did a veterinary course at Bristol uni in year 11 for about £15, but I decided that vet med wasn't for me, but I gained a valuable insight so it was still useful. There were a couple of year 10s there too, and a lot of year 12s.

A local hospital (year 11/12) ran a 3-day course for those interested in various medical careers (including medicine, physio, midwifery, healthcare science, biomedical science, pathology etc). I then decided I didn't want to do medicine anymore, but it was a very interesting experience.

(Year 12) Nuffield or in2science placements over the summer? (I applied, but didn't get in, someone I know did and he really loved it).
(Any age for the online challenges, year 12 for the paper) Cambridge chemistry challenge? (I did the online course and the paper after my year 12 exams, it makes A level chemistry easier).
(year 12) Olympiads for chemistry/physics/biology (haven't done any, but I hear good things).

Keep searching, find something local if you can. You don't have as many options at your age because most people don't know what they want to do yet. You can still do work experience, but most of the stuff is aimed at year 12s because they have to apply to uni the following year, so it's more useful for them.
Thanks for all these ideas, definitely gonna check some out!

Posted from TSR Mobile
tolulah
Rep:
?
(Original post by iwishicouldfly14)
I haven't seen any that aren't ridiculously expensive - It's crazy!
See if your science teacher/s know of any that are good and cheap....
There is one for Year 12 that is free (I think) at one of the universities so you could do that in a couple of years (so not much help).

Just as a general extra-curricular side - Many universities offer free public lectures that you might find interesting - UCL (I think? - and I don't know if you live in London or not,) offer special ones for secondary school pupils.

I'm sorry this wasn't much help and I hope you end up finding something!
Thank you for the ideas!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
earthworm
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
At your age buy a really good chemistry set and have a play! There are lots of health and safety reasons which will make a lab placement at 15 difficult.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (386)
56.76%
I don't have everything I need (294)
43.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise