150 Armed Men occupies Malheur National Wildlife Refuge!

Watch
TaintedLight
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Quite worrying really.

Over 150 men with guns are currently occupying a government establishment and are ready to fight the government who they believe are "oppressing" them because 2 Oregon ranchers were sentenced to 5 year imprisonment on charges of setting fire to federal land.

The leader of this faction has called on for people all around United States to join their cause because this is a "fight against the government"

I suppose the absence of virtual panic is nil because of the racial background for these 150 men?

Also, lets settle if these so called "armed men" are really terrorists or not.

Terrorim: the unofficial or unauthorized use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

I'm obviously not an expert... but they really fall quite easily to the definition of terrorists. What do you think? Does a modern definition of "terrorism" include elements of ethnicity, race and religion?

http://thesource.com/2016/01/03/brea...rve-in-oregon/

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/01/03/us...efuge-protest/
DiddyDec01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They haven't used any violence. They have simply occupied an empty Federal Wildlife Building.
ShotsFired-9941
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
They haven't used any violence. They have simply occupied an empty Federal Wildlife Building.
lol are you a militia sympathizer now? What do you think the guns are for?

Simply occupied an empty building is it? I wonder how you would react if 150 Muslims occupied a building that belonged to the government!

Also the building was CLOSED. It would've reopened if it werent for the new year festivities
thunder_chunky
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Imagine if that had been 150 black people or 150 Muslims, the right would be going mental. Fox news, Breitbart, Rush Limbaugh et al would be slandering them and calling for force to be used to arrest them.
DiddyDec01
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ShotsFired-9941)
lol are you a militia sympathizer now? What do you think the guns are for?

Simply occupied an empty building is it? I wonder how you would react if 150 Muslims occupied a building that belonged to the government!

Also the building was CLOSED. It would've reopened if it werent for the new year festivities
Have they committed any violent acts? No.

I feel they do have a point from what little information I have on the case. The 2 men in question have already been to prison and served their time, they were then let out only to be resentenced to be sent back in. That doesn't sound very fair to me.

They planned to occupy the building, it wasn't a spur of the moment thing. I highly doubt there would have planned to occupy an open building and risk harming innocent people.
Farm_Ecology
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thunder_chunky)
Imagine if that had been 150 black people or 150 Muslims, the right would be going mental. Fox news, Breitbart, Rush Limbaugh et al would be slandering them and calling for force to be used to arrest them.
This is true, except it would most likely be more than just Fox news.
abruiseonthesky
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yet when a single unarmed black protester is on the street he gets mobbed by police.

If these protesters were/are just peacefully protesting then what's the need to carry weapons..?
DiddyDec01
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by abruiseonthesky)
Yet when a single unarmed black protester is on the street he gets mobbed by police.

If these protesters were/are just peacefully protesting then what's the need to carry weapons..?
Exercising their 2nd Amendment right.
abruiseonthesky
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Exercising their 2nd Amendment right.
Just because you're allowed to have a gun doesn't mean you have to carry one... surely if you're planning on a peaceful protest, weapons can/should be left at home? Even if they are peaceful, the weaponry imo adds an air of a threat
DiddyDec01
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by abruiseonthesky)
Just because you're allowed to have a gun doesn't mean you have to carry one... surely if you're planning on a peaceful protest, weapons can/should be left at home? Even if they are peaceful, the weaponry imo adds an air of a threat
These are the sort of people who take their weapons with them everywhere. They are a militia, being armed comes with territory.
skunkboy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
God bless America! Allah bless America! Buddha bless America! No bloodshed on the land of freedom... no bloodshed on the land of freedom... no bloodshed on the land of freedom.... 🗽🗽🗽🗽

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheArtofProtest
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
These are the sort of people who take their weapons with them everywhere. They are a militia, being armed comes with territory.
The Crips and the Bloods must be feeling pretty stupid now.

They should have simply called themselves "militia" instead of "gangs".
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah.... Right wing anti-government survivalist types that take themselves very seriously. They'll probably get bored when people start ignoring them and go home. (Hopefully)
DriverUpdate
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We have seen Muslims do this before, they favour places filled up with civilians they can use for target practice. Black people likewise like to riot and loot with racially motivated preference, as we have seen, when they feel wronged.

If either group would act in a similar manner, and instead occupy a wildlife reserve when they felt tread on I think would be an improvement.
Zargabaath
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have they committed any violent acts? No.

I feel they do have a point from what little information I have on the case. The 2 men in question have already been to prison and served their time, they were then let out only to be resentenced to be sent back in. That doesn't sound very fair to me.

They planned to occupy the building, it wasn't a spur of the moment thing. I highly doubt there would have planned to occupy an open building and risk harming innocent people.
Whether they've committed violent acts or not, they're terrorists because they've using intimidation to further a political motive. It doesn't matter how much validity their goals have either, the fact is they're using terror as a political tool.
Zargabaath
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TheArtofProtest)
The Crips and the Bloods must be feeling pretty stupid now.

They should have simply called themselves "militia" instead of "gangs".
They'd have to tipex their faces too, for "camouflage" :rolleyes:
ubisoft
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
beta uprising confirmed

elohssa_59
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not sure about the Muslims but groups of blacks occopy/destroy shopping malls in the USA every other week.
Zargabaath
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ubisoft)
beta uprising confirmed

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Where were you when the beta uprising started?
DiddyDec01
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Zargabaath)
Whether they've committed violent acts or not, they're terrorists because they've using intimidation to further a political motive. It doesn't matter how much validity their goals have either, the fact is they're using terror as a political tool.
They aren't actually intimidation people though. They have occupied an empty building.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (44)
41.12%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
19.63%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
5.61%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
8.41%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (9)
8.41%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
6.54%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
10.28%

Watched Threads