The Student Room Group

Access/A-Levels for Economics or Business Management ?

I achieved poor results in my A-levels 3 years ago (BCD) and would like to do another qualification to study Economics or Business Management at a top 20 university.

What would be the best qualification to do? The social science Access course doesn't have much maths, and some unis specify this, so would just doing 3 A-Levels be better?

Or should I just do Social Sciences Access and AS maths with it?

I'm really confused as there are so many different options and pathways to university.

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
The workload for Access and AS maths at the same time will be pretty intense. However, if you start teaching yourself maths now, it could be manageable. If you can find an Access course with more maths (look for Engineering or IT pathways) that would put you in a better position. It would be best to identify which universities you are interested in, and then send off some emails to get their advice. Talk to the admissions tutor for the subject(s) you're interested in, rather than the generic admissions department, as the policy on mature students can vary from department to department.

You should also consider doing a foundation year, as they might accept you for that with your current qualifications. It's not too late to apply for 2016.
(edited 8 years ago)
Top 20 university is perhaps a little bit generic, depending on the league table you look at anywhere from 10+ universities will take the access course for economics without any need of A-Level maths and close to all 20 will accept it for business management. If you outline which ones you're looking at specifically and perhaps your career goals it would be easier to advise you. Oh and please don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions.
Reply 3
Thank you both for the information. Do access course students who meet or exceed the university requirements in places like UCL actually get offers then? I'm worried of doing well in the Access course then not getting any offers from a decent uni.
Original post by mandorle
Thank you both for the information. Do access course students who meet or exceed the university requirements in places like UCL actually get offers then? I'm worried of doing well in the Access course then not getting any offers from a decent uni.

UCL do accept Access courses for most subjects, but not for their single honours Economics degree.

Plenty of people get into very good universities with Access qualifications, but policy varies so much between universities and individual departments, that you really need to make contact with them before you decide how to proceed.
UCL don't accept the Access course for Economics and require Maths A-Level for Management Science, however depending on your career goals/interests, Project Management for Construction (minimum 30 credits at merit)http://www.bartlett.ucl.ac.uk/cpm/programmes/undergraduate/bsc-project-management-for-construction or Information Management for Business (offered as an Integrated Masters) https://www.mgmt.ucl.ac.uk/study/imb#programme. Any others you're considering?
Reply 7
I'm just going to look at another Social Science that isn't heavily maths based instead. Economics is too competitive and I would struggle with University-level maths if I got in anyway.
Plenty of universities offer extra maths lessons for students who either struggle with maths or don't possess the a level so i woudnt worry about that. Regarding picking another social science if you're still considering management, unis such as Warwick, Nottingham, Lancaster and Manchester will all take the access course and all top 20.
Lancaster, UEA, SOAS amongst others will let you do economics and offer extra maths tuition. Exeter, Leicester and Sheffield will let you do BA Economics and several also offer foundation years so dont lose hope!
I achieved poor results in my A-levels 3 years ago (BCD) and would like to do another qualification to study Economics or Business Management at a top 20 university.

What would be the best qualification to do? The social science Access course doesn't have much maths, and some unis specify this, so would just doing 3 A-Levels be better?

Or should I just do Social Sciences Access and AS maths with it?

I'm really confused as there are so many different options and pathways to university.

Thanks

Hi there,

There is a useful resource for returning to study you may find helpful - if you go here... http://www.rdi.co.uk/returning-learning-guide-budding-mature-students/

The quickest route might be an HND which can then be supplemented with a 'top-up' to give you a degree? You just need A-level passes to go down this route and there are online Business Management HNDs available (online learning - so you could still work alongside your studies!)

Just worth considering :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending