AQA English Lit B - Unit 4 (A2 Coursework) 2015

Watch
mrrsmith
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi is there anybody else doing/has done the Critical Anthology coursework? I got an A on the comparative piece but I am really struggling to plan and tbh even choose a question ahh... I really want to do well but I just don't understand how to structure an argument with metaphor. I was going to do Marxism in relation to 1984 but as I discussed social class in the comparative I cannot do the sane again :/ I'm thinking of looking at symbolism in Tennyson's The Lady of Shalott but the examiner report suggests that the best essays are the ones with a debate. Is it possible to compare a metaphorical approach to a feminist?
crashMATHS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mrrsmith)
Hi is there anybody else doing/has done the Critical Anthology coursework? I got an A on the comparative piece but I am really struggling to plan and tbh even choose a question ahh... I really want to do well but I just don't understand how to structure an argument with metaphor. I was going to do Marxism in relation to 1984 but as I discussed social class in the comparative I cannot do the sane again :/ I'm thinking of looking at symbolism in Tennyson's The Lady of Shalott but the examiner report suggests that the best essays are the ones with a debate. Is it possible to compare a metaphorical approach to a feminist?
I finished the critical coursework last term and I did metaphor, symbolism, aesthetics and value all together. I think I did pretty well.

A debate is necessary, but they don't need to see a case where you list other viewpoints and then counter them. That is not always the essence of a good debate. In this context, a good debate should just explore different avenues that metaphorical criticism can open up and then evaluate which makes the most sense to you.

My question was on whether the symbolism of a text undermined or contributed to its literary value. I had a debate about the contextual relevance of the symbols, the structural symbols, the overdone symbols and a discussion about modernism. Don't always think that your debate has to an explicit weighting of two ideas; in cases where this is not possible, such as the authorial construction question in the Aspects of Narrative unit, a debate can be shown from just discussing potential meaning and evaluating why some ideas are better than others.

Marxism and Feminism are also good to explore, but I had already explored their ideologies at AS and thought that aesthetics and symbolism would prove fruitful for both my grade and my knowledge.

Hope it goes well

Edit: I think that would be a good idea. You could have a question that says: 'Based on your reading of the critical anthology, to what extent do you agree that a feminist reading of... opens up greater meaning than a metaphorical one?' or something of the sort.
mrrsmith
Rep:
?
(Original post by kingaaran)
I finished the critical coursework last term and I did metaphor, symbolism, aesthetics and value all together. I think I did pretty well.

A debate is necessary, but they don't need to see a case where you list other viewpoints and then counter them. That is not always the essence of a good debate. In this context, a good debate should just explore different avenues that metaphorical criticism can open up and then evaluate which makes the most sense to you.

My question was on whether the symbolism of a text undermined or contributed to its literary value. I had a debate about the contextual relevance of the symbols, the structural symbols, the overdone symbols and a discussion about modernism. Don't always think that your debate has to an explicit weighting of two ideas; in cases where this is not possible, such as the authorial construction question in the Aspects of Narrative unit, a debate can be shown from just discussing potential meaning and evaluating why some ideas are better than others.

Marxism and Feminism are also good to explore, but I had already explored their ideologies at AS and thought that aesthetics and symbolism would prove fruitful for both my grade and my knowledge.

Hope it goes well

Edit: I think that would be a good idea. You could have a question that says: 'Based on your reading of the critical anthology, to what extent do you agree that a feminist reading of... opens up greater meaning than a metaphorical one?' or something of the sort.
Thank you so much for replying, your response was incredibly helpful. I think I will explore whether a metaphorical approach provides greater meaning than a feminist one. I love the concept of your essay, unfortunately my Lit teacher decided to not teach Section C as she wanted us to either do Marxism or feminism :/ are you studying the pastoral or the gothic for the exam?
crashMATHS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you so much for replying, your response was incredibly helpful. I think I will explore whether a metaphorical approach provides greater meaning than a feminist one. I love the concept of your essay, unfortunately my Lit teacher decided to not teach Section C as she wanted us to either do Marxism or feminism :/ are you studying the pastoral or the gothic for the exam?
My teacher was the same, but I decided to sneak aesthetics into my essay question xD

The gothic, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
mrrsmith
Rep:
?
(Original post by kingaaran)
My teacher was the same, but I decided to sneak aesthetics into my essay question xD

The gothic, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's literally what I'm doing with metaphor! I'm glad being daring paid off for you I'm doing the Gothic too (Wuthering Heights, Dr Faustus and Frankenstein) what texts are you studying?
crashMATHS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's literally what I'm doing with metaphor! I'm glad being daring paid off for you I'm doing the Gothic too (Wuthering Heights, Dr Faustus and Frankenstein) what texts are you studying?
I'm being taught Macbeth, Dr Faustus and The Bloody Chamber, but I did Wuthering Heights for my coursework and liked it, so I might sneak that into my exam too But for Section B (if worse comes to worst)

Posted from TSR Mobile
mrrsmith
Rep:
?
Ahh did you use it for the critical or comparative? Wuthering Heights is one of my favourite novels I'm so pleased to be studying it however I completely abhor Frankenstein I find it incredibly dull. Are we allowed to talk about more than 3 texts in section B? I would much rather study Macbeth as I know the play inside out - from studying it throughout high school and being involved in an amateur production - so it would be great if I could also discuss it. Do you know if there is already a thread for the discussion of Unit 3 - Gothic?
crashMATHS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ahh did you use it for the critical or comparative? Wuthering Heights is one of my favourite novels I'm so pleased to be studying it however I completely abhor Frankenstein I find it incredibly dull. Are we allowed to talk about more than 3 texts in section B? I would much rather study Macbeth as I know the play inside out - from studying it throughout high school and being involved in an amateur production - so it would be great if I could also discuss it. Do you know if there is already a thread for the discussion of Unit 3 - Gothic?
I used it for the comparative.

I wouldn't advise it. I was thinking I would only talk about WH if I thought I don't have any points on the other texts.

Yeah there is one. I made it It's on the English exams section of the English thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
bethfrsmith
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is anyone approaching their critical coursework as arguing a book onto the canon at all??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (62)
17.32%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (100)
27.93%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (137)
38.27%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
13.41%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.07%

Watched Threads