The Student Room Group

I'm not confident i have done enough revision for my mock exams? Tiffin Sixth Form?

Hi (sorry this is my first post so i don't know if this is in the right place)

So my mock exams start on Tuesday and i'm not confident i have done enough revision for them.
Since the first day of the Christmas Holidays, i have assigned a subject to each day and i am about half way through my timetable. I spent more time on some areas than other and there are only a few specific area i know i need to revisit: Unit 4 RE, transformations of graphs in maths, and finish off my physics and chemistry.

I'm just getting really nervous about it because i know how important these exams are. I really want to get into Tiffin Girl's Sixth form. I've had a letter back saying they will write back in January to check if i'm able to stand the academic pressure and if so, i will be invited to a discussion. How dies this sound? And does my revision sound good enough?

Thanks in advance,
Kelly

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Kezzabells

So my mock exams start on Tuesday and i'm not confident i have done enough revision for them.
Since the first day of the Christmas Holidays, i have assigned a subject to each day and i am about half way through my timetable. I spent more time on some areas than other and there are only a few specific area i know i need to revisit: Unit 4 RE, transformations of graphs in maths, and finish off my physics and chemistry.

I'm just getting really nervous about it because i know how important these exams are. I really want to get into Tiffin Girl's Sixth form. I've had a letter back saying they will write back in January to check if i'm able to stand the academic pressure and if so, i will be invited to a discussion. How dies this sound? And does my revision sound good enough?

Thanks in advance,
Kelly

The fact that you've started revising already is great, now is the perfect time to start. Don't stress too much. There is a LOT of content at GCSE (I assume you're doing GCSE's if you're trying to get into a 6th form), so it will take a lot of revision.

Methods of revising comes down to individuals, whatever works for you. Just do some timed practice papers yourself to see how good your knowledge is without your notes currently. It'll give you a good idea on what to study more of.

Good luck!
Reply 2

Thanks in advance,
Kelly

(This is also my first post)
I think you'll do great because it seems you're very well prepared and your revision does sound good enough!

I've been thinking of Tiffin Girl's sixth form (2017) and I was wondering, how difficult are the entrance exams? - do they base them on the GCSE or A-level spec? (e.g. does the biology entrance exam have gcse or a-level based questions?) Also, do you think extra preparation is necessary for these exams (a tutor?)

Thanks and good luck with your exams!
Reply 3
Original post by EP365
(This is also my first post)
I think you'll do great because it seems you're very well prepared and your revision does sound good enough!

I've been thinking of Tiffin Girl's sixth form (2017) and I was wondering, how difficult are the entrance exams? - do they base them on the GCSE or A-level spec? (e.g. does the biology entrance exam have gcse or a-level based questions?) Also, do you think extra preparation is necessary for these exams (a tutor?)

Thanks and good luck with your exams!

Thanks! You sound very prepared too! They don't hold entry exams for entry to their sixth form level- that's only for secondary school.
For sixth form, they go based on GCSE predications which is why i'm scared (i'm predicted all A's and A* which is why i'm feeling the pressure for the mocks.)
I don't think you'd need a tutor if that was the case x
Kelly
Reply 4
Original post by aadil10
The fact that you've started revising already is great, now is the perfect time to start. Don't stress too much. There is a LOT of content at GCSE (I assume you're doing GCSE's if you're trying to get into a 6th form), so it will take a lot of revision.

Methods of revising comes down to individuals, whatever works for you. Just do some timed practice papers yourself to see how good your knowledge is without your notes currently. It'll give you a good idea on what to study more of.

Good luck!

Thank you- this has been a massive reassurance.
Yeah, i'm doing GCSE at the moment. I did my biology last year (A*) but it just feels like it's literally 10 times the workload at the moment!
Kelly
Reply 5
Thank you- this has been a massive reassurance.
Yeah, i'm doing GCSE at the moment. I did my biology last year (A*) but it just feels like it's literally 10 times the workload at the moment!
Kelly

You're welcome. Don't let the pressure get to you, it becomes overwhelming and you feel like you'll never have revised enough. Just take each subject one at a time. Focus on your weaknesses but don't ignore your stronger areas entirely. Making a revision timetable helped me a lot, structure makes revision easier. If you need help, ask on TSR. Plenty of year 12's here with the answer. Good luck!
Reply 6
Thanks! You sound very prepared too! They don't hold entry exams for entry to their sixth form level- that's only for secondary school.
For sixth form, they go based on GCSE predications which is why i'm scared (i'm predicted all A's and A* which is why i'm feeling the pressure for the mocks.)
I don't think you'd need a tutor if that was the case x
Kelly

Thanks so much!!
Did you apply to any other schools?
Reply 7
Original post by EP365
Thanks so much!!
Did you apply to any other schools?

No problem :smile:
I have applied to Salesian (haven't heard back yet), got an interview at Esher to be arranged and i have a confirmed place available at Strodes :smile:
Hi (my first post as well) -

I've also applied for Tiffin for entry this September so I was wondering if you knew when in January the letter is due to come? I'm quite nervous about it :smile:

Best of luck in your mocks!
Reply 9
Original post by metellaest
Hi (my first post as well) -

I've also applied for Tiffin for entry this September so I was wondering if you knew when in January the letter is due to come? I'm quite nervous about it :smile:

Best of luck in your mocks!

Thanks!
I had i migraine today but still somehow sat my English Lit and RE papers haha
It should be middle to end of Jan- tell me if you get in! That's been my dream school for years now.
Thanks!
It should be middle to end of Jan- tell me if you get in! That's been my dream school for years now.

Thanks - let me know whether you do to!

I'm sure you're mocks went well - I sat chemistry today with a bad cold and I've got English language tomorrow :frown: oh well....
Thanks!

I don't suppose you've heard from Tiffin? It's the last day of January and I've been waiting for the post all morning but nothing has come...

Hope your mocks went well :smile:
Reply 12
I don't suppose you've heard from Tiffin? It's the last day of January and I've been waiting for the post all morning but nothing has come...

Hope your mocks went well :smile:

Hey again! Nope, not yet either i'm afraid. Maybe this year they are just taking longer to process things :smile: i got my mock results yesterday! They were all A*'s and A's except three B's in Physics, RE and French :frown: i was a bit disappointed but there's always time to improve!
Hey again! Nope, not yet either i'm afraid. Maybe this year they are just taking longer to process things :smile: i got my mock results yesterday! They were all A*'s and A's except three B's in Physics, RE and French :frown: i was a bit disappointed but there's always time to improve!

Exactly - I hope it's not that long though!

Well done though - that's still really good for your mocks! And you're right, there's lots of time to work on it :smile:
Reply 14
Exactly - I hope it's not that long though!

Well done though - that's still really good for your mocks! And you're right, there's lots of time to work on it :smile:

I didn't get in :frown:. I got my letter a few days ago but i already have a place at Salesians Sixth Form which have as many destinations and good grades so that's good :smile:. But i'm so upset. How did you do?
I didn't get in :frown:. I got my letter a few days ago but i already have a place at Salesians Sixth Form which have as many destinations and good grades so that's good :smile:. But i'm so upset. How did you do?

I'm sorry :frown: - I'm glad you got into Salesians though - whereabouts is that?

I did get a conditional offer, but it hasn't said what the conditions actually are so I don't know if I'll be able to achieve it...

Best of luck with your GCSEs and sixth form :smile:
Reply 16
I'm sorry :frown: - I'm glad you got into Salesians though - whereabouts is that?

I did get a conditional offer, but it hasn't said what the conditions actually are so I don't know if I'll be able to achieve it...

Best of luck with your GCSEs and sixth form :smile:

I'm so happy for you! :biggrin: That's a bit weird about the conditions though :s-smilie: I'm sure you'll get on just fine!
Salesians is a second site in Chertsey :smile:
I'm so happy for you! :biggrin: That's a bit weird about the conditions though :s-smilie: I'm sure you'll get on just fine!
Salesians is a second site in Chertsey :smile:

Thank you :smile: do you know what subjects you want to study?
Reply 18
Thank you :smile: do you know what subjects you want to study?

Yup! I'm looking at English Lit, French, Physics and History :smile:
How about yourself?
Reply 19
Congratulations to both of you on your results - you did amazing! Best of luck with the future and your real GCSEs!!

Quick Reply

Latest