The Student Room Group

Mixed emotions - advice please!

I only went to uni this September, so I'm still in semester 1, but I'm really questioning if I should drop out. I love my uni, my course (although there is a awful lot of work!), the people I've met, my flatmates, the city, the social life...pretty much everything! But I became very homesick, which I know is common, however I was feeling down and upset all of the time and got behind with my work. I managed through until the Christmas break, but I'm dreading going back and I've also not done any of the work I was meant to do because I've been so happy to be back home in the company of my family and friends. Perhaps I'm out of my depth on my course?

I'm also concerned that because I got behind with my work, that I won't pass semester 1, and what will happen? I have upcoming exams and assignments and I'm very worried about them all.

It upsets me to think about dropping out because I love it at uni, and I worked so hard to be there, but perhaps this is a step too far for me? I need advice pleeease!!!
mix and match.life is like a

pick and
mix

you need both to exist
Original post by Rose2016
I only went to uni this September, so I'm still in semester 1, but I'm really questioning if I should drop out. I love my uni, my course (although there is a awful lot of work!), the people I've met, my flatmates, the city, the social life...pretty much everything! But I became very homesick, which I know is common, however I was feeling down and upset all of the time and got behind with my work. I managed through until the Christmas break, but I'm dreading going back and I've also not done any of the work I was meant to do because I've been so happy to be back home in the company of my family and friends. Perhaps I'm out of my depth on my course?

I'm also concerned that because I got behind with my work, that I won't pass semester 1, and what will happen? I have upcoming exams and assignments and I'm very worried about them all.

It upsets me to think about dropping out because I love it at uni, and I worked so hard to be there, but perhaps this is a step too far for me? I need advice pleeease!!!

Hi there,

Sorry to hear this :frown: But honestly I think lots of students are feeling the same. I remember being really home sick after my first term at uni.

Have you got any grades back? Or any feedback on your work? First term is all about finding out about the jump up to degree level and it can be a bit of a shock.

It's never a nice feeling when you're lagging behind with your work but it sounds like your uni life is really positive- so I wouldn't give up on your degree just yet.

:h:
Original post by Rose2016

You probably just weren't ready to fly the nest yet. You probably should drop out and take a gap year. Complete your 1st year and take a gap year and then come back to year 2 whenever you want. Or maybe go part time so you have more time to go home and maybe work?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending