what is Religious education (RE) like in alevel?

Watch
priyaksandhu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I wanted to pick
-RE
-Applied health and social
-Applied science
-English lit
as a level, but what are these alevels like?
JUST2VIEWPOSTS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
RE?! Why lol... such a pathetic subject.
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did RE and English Lit at A Level. (Didn't sit the A2 exams for English but I did the course!) Both are demanding subjects but if you work hard it's worthe effort.

I found RE more enjoyable.
rhi_el
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did English Literature, History, Latin and Religious Studies at AS and then dropped English for A2. I got my best result in RS and enjoyed it very much. I found it relatively easy but I know quite a few people struggle with it and didn't do too well in the A2, the percentage of top grades given out is comparatively low. I would definitely recommend it from my experience nevertheless! English Literature at my school was a bit messy but I am sure that elsewhere it would be brilliant.
JUST2VIEWPOSTS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why the **** would you even study Religion lol.... you'll go nowhere in life.
GreatApesLearn
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

Is it RE or Philosophy and Ethics at A-level at your school. If you have a choice of one or the other then i'd recommend P&E even though they have changed the syllabus i believe to include more religion in it nowadays, but when i did it we looked at everything from religious language to good and evil, to business ethics alongside life after death, more interesting than i'm probably making it sound to be!

I hope this helps, if not then apologies!
Best regards
FH
username1514999
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
RS is quite respected, but I personally find it very, very hard and quite boring/tedious.

My A Level course is 1/2 New Testament and 1/2 Religious Philosophy, so it's Religion and Philosophy, not Religious Studies, though I'm guessing they're very similar. We study Mark's Gospel of the NT and read it in a literary context/ discuss it's validity and what the miracles and stories mean. In Philosophy we have so far studied the philosophical Problem of Evil, God as the Creator, the 'Design Argument' and 'Key Acient Philosophers'.

I'm also doing English Literature which I also find difficult, but interesting.

(I got A*s in GCSE English, English Lit and RS; I'm now working at B/C's in RS and C's in English)

It depends what 'tier' of university you want to go to, but if you're aiming for Russel Group or any traditional universities (so anything other than ex-polytechnics) I wouldn't choose 2 'Applied' subjects.

Take a look at this list so you can work out how respected subjects are:
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions...l-combinations
Sanya02
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did philosophy and ethics, english literature, psychology and biology. With english and philosophy you can go into law, teaching and generally someone with philosophy as an a level, presents themselves as an open minded individual and quite the debater.

During my study of philosophy at a - level I have gone from theist to atheist to agnostic and back to theist. Lol but it really does open your mind to the numerous possibilities and question the essence of life which is really regardless of a levels, school and all that jazz, the point of life.

You will enjoy it, it is however a lot of work and the exams are short and there is much to be written. I was under the edexcel exam board and each essay was 6 pages long in 22 minutes. What examboard does your school do?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (116)
4.91%
Uncertainty around my education (351)
14.85%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (259)
10.96%
Lack of purpose or motivation (332)
14.05%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (108)
4.57%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (137)
5.8%
Loneliness (205)
8.68%
Financial worries (88)
3.72%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (99)
4.19%
Exposure to negative news/social media (114)
4.82%
Lack of real life entertainment (126)
5.33%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (206)
8.72%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (222)
9.39%

Watched Threads