The Student Room Group

Question about my guinea pig..

Since there are some graduates here I might as well use your knowledge! I posted this in the vets forum but it got moved

I used to have 2 guinea pigs, one died when I was ten, the other 2 years ago. The night before she died she seemed fine (she was about 3/4 I think) but in the morning she kind of crashed into the room of the hutch where she ate, and fell over onto her side and went all floppy, it was like she was having a fit cos she was shaking a bit. We picked her up and she was really lethargic and flopped about helplessly. Normally in the morning she cant wait to get breakfast but then I held out a tomato but she took no notice. We have to go to school so I had to leave her lying down cause she couldnt move properly, but died later on. THe first guinea pig died in that same floppy way as well, appearing fine the night before, but strangely the first was not even 1 year old. We don't know what caused it with either of them.

Can anyone suggest what caused this?
Reply 1
Thats how my guinea pig died. I always assumed that was how it happened, but I'm no vet.
Reply 2
WARNING: NOT YET VET SO NOT VETERINARY ADVICE-

Guinea pigs and other small furries can go floppy etc when they die, its usually just that they're very weak and is not a sign of one particular fatal disease. I would imagine that ear trouble could cause a loss of balance but would not be fatal. Mites are the most likely cause of fitting in Guineas and are common.

Conditions like pyometra or kidney failure where there are lots of toxins circulating in guinea's blood could cause such illness and fairly sudden death and are again not uncommon.

Whatever the cause, don't beat yourself up about it, guineas are often difficult to spot as being ill and are even harder to nurse, although i would say that it is even more vital with such a small vulnerable animal that it should be seen by the vet at the slightest loss of appetite, as this can be the only sign that there is something amiss.

With the right care and a bit of luck, the normal life expectancy of a guinea pig is 5-8 years.

All the best.
Reply 3
Poor pigs :frown:
Reply 4
Don't take a guinea pig to Peru...they're quite a delicacy over there :p:
Yes, I was about to point that out as well. I'll be there soon, will let you know what it tastes like so if the worst comes to the worst, you'll not go hungry.
Reply 6
One of our Guinea Pigs died after having what looked like a fit. It's difficult to tell with small animals but we thought she might have been poisoned by a plant. The balcony where they were living had a geranium on it which the vet told us was poisonous.

By the way, Guinea Pigs are so integral to Peruvian culture that they have a painting of the Last Supper in the parliament building (I think) that has Guinea Pigs on the table.
Reply 7
eww theyd be all fat and no taste
Reply 8
it seems like thats the way they go. mine did like that too. so sad. but being poorly for one day before dying sounds quite nice. better than years of torturous pain.

RIP guineas

Latest