The Student Room Group

Dropped out of course and reapplying

Hey! So as the title of this thread states, I decided to make the difficult decision to drop out of my course this year. Despite making good friends and loving the university that I was at, I didn't see the point in paying a substantial amount of money on a course I wasn't enjoying. Is anybody in the same boat as me? If so, I'd love to know!

Anyway, I'm in the process of reapplying and I'm just wondering, should I state that I dropped out in my personal statement and reflect on it positively or leave it out? Also, shall I apply independently of through my old sixth form? Thanks in advance :smile:
It should go on your education section if nowhere else. You should mostly focus on why the new course, rather than why not your old course.

As for how to apply, best to ask in the Applications and UCAS forum for that, as this is specifically about PSs
Original post by Soph996
Hey! So as the title of this thread states, I decided to make the difficult decision to drop out of my course this year. Despite making good friends and loving the university that I was at, I didn't see the point in paying a substantial amount of money on a course I wasn't enjoying. Is anybody in the same boat as me? If so, I'd love to know!

Anyway, I'm in the process of reapplying and I'm just wondering, should I state that I dropped out in my personal statement and reflect on it positively or leave it out? Also, shall I apply independently of through my old sixth form? Thanks in advance :smile:

I was at this point this time, last year. Sorry to hear that you're not enjoying your course but I believed, like yourself - there was no point to in paying so much money and not enjoying your course.

Unforunately for me, because I didn't have enough credits in one subject, but enough for another (doing dual honours), I had to start from year 1 - so i have wasted an extra 9K... But at my 1st uni I was getting 2:2. I have been getting 2:1s at my current uni cause of the skills I gained at my first one. So it's not a complete loss, but still annoying. But I don't think about that tbh.

I do not regret moving. My flatmates could be nicer but I've bonded well with others in the block and I've always believed its better to have a few close friends than many distant friends. I still see the friends I made from my 1st uni either in their home town, or they visit me or when I go up to see them. A little bit costly, but knowing you can stay a week with many people, it's so worth it!

I am in love with my course atm, and I am really looking forward to next semester. I never took advantage on doing modules outside your course in my first year back at my first uni. But now, I'm doing that - I'm take 1 module in Psychology, having never studied it before and one module from Education Studies which I'm excited about because I've always been interested in children's brain development and I'm interested in becoming a teacher so it's a great way to explore other subject/area interests that I never would have done if I stayed at my previous uni.

Even though, a part of me still regrets leaving for the social and find it hard keeping in contact with my first uni. I know a part of me would have regretted staying. So it's a win/lose situation, no matter how you look at it.

I didn't mention me dropping out. I do remember saying "reading classical studies made me realise how much i missed philosophy when i studied..." then explored the philosophicial issues in those literary works which worked well since I went from english and classics to english and philosophy. I also mentioned how my time at my 1st uni I became a subject rep and made me more confident and I'd want to do that more so in my current uni and etc.

As you said, even though you wasn't unhappy being there, I think it's important to show what transferable stuff you learned there that you will bring to the uni you wanna apply to. It shows you can take some positives out of negatives situations. It shows your growth as a young person and maturity into adult life. I know a lot of people that stay at unis their miserable at because they find it "easier" to do that instead of what makes them happy.

So I say, look forward to the new memories you'll make in the future. Don't cling onto the memories you have made. Just save them to look back on in the distant future :smile:.
Reply 3
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I was at this point this time, last year. Sorry to hear that you're not enjoying your course but I believed, like yourself - there was no point to in paying so much money and not enjoying your course.

Unforunately for me, because I didn't have enough credits in one subject, but enough for another (doing dual honours), I had to start from year 1 - so i have wasted an extra 9K... But at my 1st uni I was getting 2:2. I have been getting 2:1s at my current uni cause of the skills I gained at my first one. So it's not a complete loss, but still annoying. But I don't think about that tbh.

I do not regret moving. My flatmates could be nicer but I've bonded well with others in the block and I've always believed its better to have a few close friends than many distant friends. I still see the friends I made from my 1st uni either in their home town, or they visit me or when I go up to see them. A little bit costly, but knowing you can stay a week with many people, it's so worth it!

I am in love with my course atm, and I am really looking forward to next semester. I never took advantage on doing modules outside your course in my first year back at my first uni. But now, I'm doing that - I'm take 1 module in Psychology, having never studied it before and one module from Education Studies which I'm excited about because I've always been interested in children's brain development and I'm interested in becoming a teacher so it's a great way to explore other subject/area interests that I never would have done if I stayed at my previous uni.

Even though, a part of me still regrets leaving for the social and find it hard keeping in contact with my first uni. I know a part of me would have regretted staying. So it's a win/lose situation, no matter how you look at it.

I didn't mention me dropping out. I do remember saying "reading classical studies made me realise how much i missed philosophy when i studied..." then explored the philosophicial issues in those literary works which worked well since I went from english and classics to english and philosophy. I also mentioned how my time at my 1st uni I became a subject rep and made me more confident and I'd want to do that more so in my current uni and etc.

As you said, even though you wasn't unhappy being there, I think it's important to show what transferable stuff you learned there that you will bring to the uni you wanna apply to. It shows you can take some positives out of negatives situations. It shows your growth as a young person and maturity into adult life. I know a lot of people that stay at unis their miserable at because they find it "easier" to do that instead of what makes them happy.

So I say, look forward to the new memories you'll make in the future. Don't cling onto the memories you have made. Just save them to look back on in the distant future :smile:.

Hey, thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me! I'm so glad that I've found someone else who was in the same boat! Obviously there'll be quite a few but you never get to talk to them :smile:

See, that was my worry! Everybody kept telling me to continue and not to think about the money but I thought I may as well be earning money than paying for a course that I'm not enjoying, but like you said, for you it hasn't been completely wasted as you have learned skills from that degree that are benefitting you in your new degree!

I'm glad you're in a degree that you like now and hopefully I will be in September! It's a good sign that you're actually looking forward to what you're going to be learning about next because this was never the case for me in the degree that I was in! Yeah, at the university I was at I wasn't able to take electives which I think would be great! Whay you're studying sounds so interesting and your grades seem to reflect that.

Exactly, even though I loved everything else the main thing that I'm paying for when it al boils down to it and I couldn't have studied that subject for another 3 years.

You're right! That's what I'll do. Thanks for your advice, you've made me feel so much better! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I never mentioned it on my UCAS. Only Oxford for a PG course noticed a discrepancy in my years.
Reply 5
Original post by Soph996

Did exactly the same and have reapplied! I left it out and have already received two unconditional offers :P I just put it in the education part because I think it's mandatory. Honestly the course wasn't what I imagined it to be and I didn't think the tutors were very helpful. I feel much more prepared for this year!
I doubt it would make a difference in your application if you didn't mention the course in your personal statement. However, some universities will ask you for the reason your left. One of my friends applied to Southampton (few years after dropping out of a course) and they asked him to explain why.
Reply 7
Original post by Paige48
Did exactly the same and have reapplied! I left it out and have already received two unconditional offers :P I just put it in the education part because I think it's mandatory. Honestly the course wasn't what I imagined it to be and I didn't think the tutors were very helpful. I feel much more prepared for this year!

Yeah, the course was nothing what I expected at all! I was finding it so boring to the point where I couldn't have stood it any longer. It was really hard leaving the friends I made though! Congrats, I'm still waiting for mine! What were you studying if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by First_Choice
I doubt it would make a difference in your application if you didn't mention the course in your personal statement. However, some universities will ask you for the reason your left. One of my friends applied to Southampton (few years after dropping out of a course) and they asked him to explain why.

Ah, okay. Well I mentioned the reason why in my personal statement but reflected on it positively!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending