Best Online Streaming Service for Movies? Watch

TrojanH
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My local rented DVD store just closed down and there are no stores in my area left ;(

I need a streaming service that has the latest movies. That's pretty much all, I don't have too much time for TV, though extra TV series are useful, I would prefer the latest blockbusters just as my local DVD store would have. Are there are any streaming providers that do this?

I know of NowTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, but what are your opinions; do they offer a very current and up-to-date service, would I be able to stream a movie released a week ago on DVD? How long does it take for new content to get uploaded after it is released on DVD?Thanks.
Proxenus
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Are you WoodyMKC 's brother?
TrojanH
Rep:
?
(Original post by Proxenus)
Are you WoodyMKC 's brother?
his twin, asian, brother, yes
lightwoXd
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TrojanH)
My local rented DVD store just closed down and there are no stores in my area left ;(

I need a streaming service that has the latest movies. That's pretty much all, I don't have too much time for TV, though extra TV series are useful, I would prefer the latest blockbusters just as my local DVD store would have. Are there are any streaming providers that do this?

I know of NowTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, but what are your opinions; do they offer a very current and up-to-date service, would I be able to stream a movie released a week ago on DVD? How long does it take for new content to get uploaded after it is released on DVD?Thanks.
Not directly answering your question (sorry!), but both Netflix and Amazon Prime let you have a free trial month which might be worth trying out to get a feel for each service. From my experience with Netflix, their selection of recent movie titles was fairly limited and the service was a lot more TV based (this may be slightly skewed by my taste though, others might disagree with me). Amazon I didn't really look into too much - but you can search for specific titles on the Amazon website without signing up for it and see what's available on Prime Video (it'll say on the product page with the description/purchase options) to get a feel for what they have on there.
TrojanH
Rep:
?
(Original post by lightwoXd)
Not directly answering your question (sorry!), but both Netflix and Amazon Prime let you have a free trial month which might be worth trying out to get a feel for each service. From my experience with Netflix, their selection of recent movie titles was fairly limited and the service was a lot more TV based (this may be slightly skewed by my taste though, others might disagree with me). Amazon I didn't really look into too much - but you can search for specific titles on the Amazon website without signing up for it and see what's available on Prime Video (it'll say on the product page with the description/purchase options) to get a feel for what they have on there.
I was going to go down Prime as it would be the best value, very cheap at £5 a month for unlimited delivery, movies, music, storage, but it doesn't seem to release as many new movies as NowTV. NowTV is pretty cheap at £5 /m but obviously doesn't have the extra perks.
lightwoXd
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I was going to go down Prime as it would be the best value, very cheap at £5 a month for unlimited delivery, movies, music, storage, but it doesn't seem to release as many new movies as NowTV. NowTV is pretty cheap at £5 /m but obviously doesn't have the extra perks.
Depends how much you use amazon really - I think they do also have a thing called Amazon Student where if you sign up with a .ac.uk email address, you can get Prime for a reduced rate for 4 years (don't quote me on the specifics, but it's along those lines). I don't know too much about NowTV, by the looks of it it's just a case of weighing up the pros and cons of each service and seeing which one to go for for the time being - you can always switch between the two.
TrojanH
Rep:
?
Depends how much you use amazon really - I think they do also have a thing called Amazon Student where if you sign up with a .ac.uk email address, you can get Prime for a reduced rate for 4 years (don't quote me on the specifics, but it's along those lines). I don't know too much about NowTV, by the looks of it it's just a case of weighing up the pros and cons of each service and seeing which one to go for for the time being - you can always switch between the two.
I've chose against Prime. It's cheap, just doesn't look like they release enough new Movies (note; I know they're good for series and TV shows).

I've went out to get the NowTV for 2mths+box at £15 from Tescos. You can get the 2mth pass again from Amazon or other stores for £9.99, making it a fiver a month.

It's cheap but from what I've seen LoveFiLM tend to have way faster releases so I'll probably switch to them. They're already renting Mockingjay Part 2 and Legend. At £8 a month for unlimited discs (2 at a time), for me, it seems like a much better option, even though its pricier, IF the titles are released way faster than NowTV. If not, NowTV seems like the best, but I remember Sky Movies being very slow at releasing new content.
lightwoXd
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've chose against Prime. It's cheap, just doesn't look like they release enough new Movies (note; I know they're good for series and TV shows).

I've went out to get the NowTV for 2mths+box at £15 from Tescos. You can get the 2mth pass again from Amazon or other stores for £9.99, making it a fiver a month.

It's cheap but from what I've seen LoveFiLM tend to have way faster releases so I'll probably switch to them. They're already renting Mockingjay Part 2 and Legend. At £8 a month for unlimited discs (2 at a time), for me, it seems like a much better option, even though its pricier, IF the titles are released way faster than NowTV. If not, NowTV seems like the best, but I remember Sky Movies being very slow at releasing new content.
That doesn't sound like a bad deal at all tbh, still cheaper than going to the cinema whichever way you do it haha. Seems like you've got it figured out, anyway.
Professor Oak
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Netflix is better for tv series, Amazon is better for movies imo. I prefer Netflix overall.

Amazon do a 6 month free trial for students though which is awesome
TrojanH
Rep:
?
That doesn't sound like a bad deal at all tbh, still cheaper than going to the cinema whichever way you do it haha. Seems like you've got it figured out, anyway.
I'm movie mad. I'll have one of these subscriptions and still go to the movies at least twice a month (just whenever there are any decent blockbusters coming out, sometimes barely once a month lol).

Netflix is good. I use one of my friend's accounts but it has nothing in the way of movies. Use it for series but more often than not Netflix takes a long time to release the most-recent series so I'm always looking else where for it..

Prime Movies are outdated. LoveFiLM (by Amazon) is what I'm opting for. You rent movies but it's the same as streaming really, end-users still don't own any content. I'm not even at Uni yet so I don't get to take advantage of Prime for Students. I will next year, even if it's just for unlimited one-day deliveries
Larissa14
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Amazon deal nt really get the latest movies for amzon prime, you usually have to pay extra for them
Laomedeia
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Larissa14)
Amazon deal nt really get the latest movies for amzon prime, you usually have to pay extra for them
C***S!
TrojanH
Rep:
?
(Original post by Laomedeia)
C***S!
He's on about Prime Movies and the Latest Releases movies offered by LoveFiLM. The LoveFILM ones aren't included in Prime and cost extra.

I've found that Netflix and Unblocker US is better than the rest as it lets me watch Netflix releases in US/Mexico/EU etc (way before UK releases) first.
Scott.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Piratebay.
Laomedeia
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
He's on about Prime Movies and the Latest Releases movies offered by LoveFiLM. The LoveFILM ones aren't included in Prime and cost extra.

I've found that Netflix and Unblocker US is better than the rest as it lets me watch Netflix releases in US/Mexico/EU etc (way before UK releases) first.
Oh.........ok then.

Spoiler:
Show
Rip-off C***S!
TrojanH
Rep:
?
(Original post by Scott.)
Piratebay.
It cost me $2 p/m to unlock my Location and £8 for Netflix. I can get 4K without having to wait on TPB for ages with ****ty seeders. If you want to watch a film, paying for it is the fastest, easiest way to go. At less than a tenner a month I can get service 10x faster and more reliable than TPB.
Ingrid1234
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I rent from CinemaParadisio. Its cheep and save.
But if you want to watch online, you could try putlocer. But they have a lot of pop up ads, and some of the links dosn`t work.
asif007
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I recommend you download films or use unofficial streaming websites. You'll find legit Blu-ray copies of films online several weeks before they come out in the shops or for rental. Completely free and you can literally choose any film you want instead of being limited to what's available on Netflix/Amazon.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (36)
24.66%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (51)
34.93%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (25)
17.12%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (11)
7.53%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (23)
15.75%

Watched Threads