The Student Room Group

Young's modulus of copper experiment help

Hi guys,

Hi guys, I'm tearing my hair out over this lab report I've got to do. I have to calculate the young's modulus of copper. My research has shown that it should be around 130GPa. Any reasons I have calculated 9230769.231? I used a 1.5m length of wire, area 1.3*10-7m. I applied a maximum force of 11.7N. s for the extended length, it was 0.045mm larger. I think my teacher told me to use weights which are far too small. I only got 11.7N of weights.

Any ideas on how to calculate the modulus form a graph would also be appreciated, in case I have done it wrong.
Reply 1
I went throught the calculation and got 3 x 10^12 Pa, What mass did you use and what was the diameter of the wire?
Reply 2
The max mass i used was 1.2KG. The diameter was 0.4m, sorry to cause confusion, im using my main account.

Original post by Ben :)
I went throught the calculation and got 3 x 10^12 Pa, What mass did you use and what was the diameter of the wire?
Reply 3
I got the area to be 1.256637061 x 10^-7m and weight to be 11.772N so I can't see what you've done wrong, although I haven't looked at this part flr about 6 months so i'm not great! It may just be something with the measurements!

Quick Reply

Latest