Attention all nerds , chemists, partical and molecular physicists!!

Watch this thread
AmazingArry
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
If you haven't heard already, 4 new elements have been discovered. Elements 113, 115,117,118 have been found.

118 belongs to Nobel elements.

7th row of the table is officially completed.

Everyone needs to start updating their text books and their copies of the table they keep tucked away in their year planners.

What do you think of this? Do think more will be discovered?

Posted from TSR Mobile
cowie
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AmazingArry)
If you haven't heard already, 4 new elements have been discovered. Elements 113, 115,117,118 have been found.

Everyone needs to start updating their text books and their copies of the table they keep tucked away in their year planners.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wonder whether the term 'discovered' should be used when 'discovering' these new elements and they are synthetic. They are created and not found in nature. Unless of course they could potentially be found elsewhere in the universe - which is unlikely due to their radioactivity/low stability..
I imagine science will pursue this discovery of new elements endlessly. I think it is possible to find more with developing technology but it would be incredibly difficult as their half-lives are so minute.
An interesting question is whether there is any use in them!
ImagineCats
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Im so whacking out this news in chem tomorrow to become the 'God' of the class
The Diplomat.
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ImagineCats)
Im so whacking out this news in chem tomorrow to become the 'God' of the class
hahahah that feeling when everyone is impressed with you, even the teacher
username1539513
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where did you find this out from?
username2151383
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
this is so cool omg
Indeterminate
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
The reference to nerds persuaded me to click on this thread :emo: But yes, I heard about this over breakfast this morning

For anyone who's interested, here's an article which provides some more information on the matter

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2...ents-are-added
AmazingArry
Rep:
(Original post by cowie)
I wonder whether the term 'discovered' should be used when 'discovering' these new elements and they are synthetic. They are created and not found in nature. Unless of course they could potentially be found elsewhere in the universe - which is unlikely due to their radioactivity/low stability..
I imagine science will pursue this discovery of new elements endlessly. I think it is possible to find more with developing technology but it would be incredibly difficult as their half-lives are so minute.
An interesting question is whether there is any use in them!
I suppose if there was a chance of them being found in nature, they would have taken absolute yonks to fuse and the star would probably be billions/zillions of times bigger than ours and most definitely turn into a super massive black hole.

It probably would be more likely if we were in a multiverse as the laws of physics would be completely different than ours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AmazingArry
Rep:
(Original post by The Diplomat.)
hahahah that feeling when everyone is impressed with you, even the teacher
It's glorious

Posted from TSR Mobile
cowie
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Guys just so you all know.. These discoveries were all made years ago.. The most recent being Ununseptium, 117, in 2010..
AmazingArry
Rep:
(Original post by cowie)
Guys just so you all know.. These discoveries were all made years ago.. The most recent being Ununseptium, 117, in 2010..
Yes but they were officially declared as new elements after years of peer review and accepted by the IUPAC who regulate the official table today so the discoveries aren't officially "real" until it's been announced by a governing/regulatory body.

Posted from TSR Mobile
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Isn't it exciting! :excited:
I'm more looking forward to what they will name them...
As for more being discovered, who knows...
AmazingArry
Rep:
(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
They've already been named. Well, 3 of them anyways. One of them hasn't been names yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AmazingArry
Rep:

They've already been named. Well, 3 of them anyways. One of them hasn't been names yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can you post a link, I can't find them, thanks
AmazingArry
Rep:
Can you post a link, I can't find them, thanks
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2...ents-are-added

Apparently the names are only temporary though so they might change.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (30)
27.27%
Take a gap year (17)
15.45%
Resit my exams (30)
27.27%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (17)
15.45%
I don't know yet (11)
10%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
4.55%

Watched Threads